• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hearing Aids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Hearing Aids Reply with quote

Anyone know if any pro players wear hearing aids when they play?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question for anyone who wears hearing aids while playing:

Does wearing just one improve your ability to hear acciurately what you are playing?

I ask because I've read that wearing just one hearing aid while playing an instrument can reduce "occlusion" which is the sensation of increased loudness when the ears are covered (occluded) by hearing aid domes.

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, I have a set of hearing aids that have three settings. One for musical environments, one to isolate words and one setting for general use. As the commercial said, "But they're gonna cost you ,toots".

I've used only one when the other was sent off for servicing and I really never noticed a problem. You should be aware, though, that the sound is not 100% acoustical, though. In any case, I am comfortable using only one with wind ensembles and such combos but I would never use them when playing with a Pop/Disco/Soul band.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Jim, I have a set of hearing aids that have three settings. One for musical environments, one to isolate words and one setting for general use. As the commercial said, "But they're gonna cost you ,toots".

I've used only one when the other was sent off for servicing and I really never noticed a problem. You should be aware, though, that the sound is not 100% acoustical, though. In any case, I am comfortable using only one with wind ensembles and such combos but I would never use them when playing with a Pop/Disco/Soul band.

What brand/model?
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wearing Widex Moment 440. They work pretty well except in bistros with lots of chattering ladies. Yikes!

I've been wearing them while playing but increasingly wondering about the effect on what comes out of my bell. We all know you're brain produces the sound you "hear" and I don't feel like I sound the way I used to.

I sound much more strident, so I guess my question is: Is that that what the audience hears?

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
What brand/model?

Phonak.
No idea what model, sorry.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been selected to participate is a Widex research project that is testing hearing aids for their effectiveness in noisy environments.Perfect for a trumpet player.

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
CalicchioMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: HEARING AIDS Reply with quote

I need them. Both ears...Suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Scott
Pickett Mouthpieces
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been happy with my Widex purchased online at ReformHearing.com. Fitting was done via telecare. They sent me a device that enabled an audiologist to set up the hearing aids as if I were in his office. Cost $3,000.

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Twin$dad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Hearing Aids Reply with quote

I believe I can actually help on this subject. A previous answer said they have a music setting on theirs. Mine(Siemens) has that as well and is nice for listening to music but not playing. My audiologist fixed a setting that removed all compression(this helps with voice frequencies) and removed the feedback/notch filter(hearing aid brand varies) so if/when I played high D and above it didn’t freak out the sound of the aids. It tries to eliminate the sound and then you don’t know when you are leading the band if your tuning is correct. Those notes make the hearing aid thinks it is squealing/feedback. Also removing the compression helps you negotiate the other players volume so you can adjust your volume. Such as drums or other loud sections. Once you get these settled by trial and error, then you can adjust overall volume accordingly. Especially if you are playing lead, it will help you on the overall volume of the band so you know how much to push.

Hope it helps. And forgive me if I posted this incorrect. I have been watching and reading this board to learn anything I can since it’s beginnings, but never spoke up.

William

Callet Jazz
Schilke X3
Benge LA 3x
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
I sound much more strident

Yes, that's what hearing aids do with loud sounds. I have the same hearing aids as you, Jim. The hearing aid tech told me there is no setting suitable for trumpet playing, and he's worked with a lot of musicians.

I don't use them when I practice. I only play for my own frustration and annoyance these days so it doesn't matter much.

Kent
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
Another question for anyone who wears hearing aids while playing:

Does wearing just one improve your ability to hear acciurately what you are playing?

I ask because I've read that wearing just one hearing aid while playing an instrument can reduce "occlusion" which is the sensation of increased loudness when the ears are covered (occluded) by hearing aid domes.

As someone having had ear-problems going back 30 years I read every post on the topic. Focusing on the question to wear or not to wear hearing aids when playing I can tell that my audiologists (several, the most clever one specializing in people with bad hearing also being musicans - himself a guitarist in a big band) unanimously recommended NOT to wear hearing aids when playing. However a careful testing of what are the causes for the hearing deficit is mandatory i.e. signs of tinnintus indicating lessened ability to withstand too high sound levels.
In my case, partly hereditary, but mostly the result of having been exposed when playing.
So I´ve been recommended not to wear hearing aids when playing, instead to use protectíon.
Took me a year or so to get accustomed to a clearly altered sound "panorama"; becoming able to discriminate/estimate the levels etc. etc.
It´s not easy, sometimes I feel like pulling out the Etymotics when the sound levels are low - in delicate passages so I´m a bit handicapped. However I´ve found that this is more of my own experience, more than the band´s.
Protection of my ears is my number one priority; I´ve found that I am still perfectly able to play - sometimes it´s a drag but mostly only to me.
Take care boys - you´ve only got one pair of ears.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, people. All very interesting. I plan to discuss with my audiologist tomorrow. Meantime, I’m going to revert to playing without HAs to see if I can get my sound back.

Here's a link that explains Widex telecare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYlkaYkprZE

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So I´ve been recommended not to wear hearing aids when playing, instead to use protectíon.

I would like to ask you: do you wear hearing protectors when you practice at home as well or only when you rehearse with the band?

I have had a tinnitus since a few months and I am also concerned about the health of my ears.

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based largely on discussions here I've recently started wearing Widex Moment 440s. Because of various comments I was expecting to have to remove them for playing. This weekend I walked into a gig and just started playing. It was only after playing a while I realised I never removed or adjusted the hearing aids. For now it looks like I can just ignore them.

Before I got the Widex HAs I also tried a top of the line set of Phonak devices and hated them. My brother-in-law has the Phonaks and he turns them off for live music.

I'm still only a few weeks in but am a pretty big fan of the Widex Moment line.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
bworth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Starkey Muse hearing aids with a music setting, and they work great!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
jhatpro wrote:
I sound much more strident

Yes, that's what hearing aids do with loud sounds. I have the same hearing aids as you, Jim. The hearing aid tech told me there is no setting suitable for trumpet playing, and he's worked with a lot of musicians.

I don't use them when I practice. I only play for my own frustration and annoyance these days so it doesn't matter much.

Kent

FWIW my Widex Moments do not sound strident at all, at least not with my particular settings. I hardly notice that I'm wearing them but after a while when I turn them off or remove them everything sounds duller. It's subtle but amazing.

Note that I use a non-occluding insert so I hear all the natural sounds and the aids mostly only backfill for the higher frequencies. The app also allows me to tweak them endlessly and I like them best when they are just enough without making absolutely everything louder.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: