• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugelhorn gig bags?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Flugelhorn gig bags? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Torpedo makes a bag for Flugelhorn and, if so, where I can get info and prices? I only find stuff for trumpet. Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Gard flugelhorn bag and it's terrific. I also have two other Gard cases, the leather single trumpet bag (although it offers the protection of a case), and the trumpet/flugel case with wheels. I have had pretty much everything from Protec to Bags of Spain and the Gards are superior in every way. I'm sure the Torpedos are in a class by themselves, but they are extremely expensive and I guess availability is an issue, at least for the short term.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://torpedobags.com/product-category/cronkhite-trumpet-bags/

Check out the Glenn Cronkhite bags about half way down the page. I have one and it is a really nice gig bag. These are extremely rugged and should last for decades, if not a life time.

It would have been nice to have a Torpedo tube style case- they are much more protective than a gig bag, but Torpedo doesn't make them.

The gig bags are lightweight and easy to carry, but they don't have much space for anything else. They have a small side pocket that can handle mouthpieces, valve oil, a pencil and so forth.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
https://torpedobags.com/product-category/cronkhite-trumpet-bags/

Check out the Glenn Cronkhite bags about half way down the page. I have one and it is a really nice gig bag. These are extremely rugged and should last for decades, if not a life time.

It would have been nice to have a Torpedo tube style case- they are much more protective than a gig bag, but Torpedo doesn't make them.

The gig bags are lightweight and easy to carry, but they don't have much space for anything else. They have a small side pocket that can handle mouthpieces, valve oil, a pencil and so forth.

Warm regards,
Grits

One thing to keep in mind is that Torpedo now owns the Cronkhite line. So the challenges people are having with Torpedo are likely to be there when purchasing a Cronkhite.

One other point. I own and use what I believe is called the super triple on the linked page. I had issues with the bells of my Bb and C scratched each other when placed in the outer slots. I now keep both in anti-tarnish bags which prevents scratching.

But if the bells can come into contact when carrying, it would seem that a side impact on the case near the bell could cause dents.

I did discuss the issue with Glen back in the day, and he was not inclined to take my questions seriously as he hadn’t had any other complaints. The triangular center divider/compartment is designed to be easily removable to aid in cleaning or replacement.

We did discuss using some extra strength Velcro to attach the apex of the triangle separator to the end of the bag, thus ensuring the bells couldn’t come together. But the Velcro didn’t stick well enough and I worried about the hooks and loops scratching the silver finishes.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the information but my question was really limited to Torpedo Flugelhorn bags. Thanks, anyway. Just shows what a good source TH can e for info.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I appreciate the information but my question was really limited to Torpedo Flugelhorn bags. Thanks, anyway.

Yes, they do. Here it is:
https://torpedobags.com/product/flugelhorn/

Some of the Coyote cases (not bags) could hold a flugel; those are only available used.

The canister-style cases (not bags) like the classic and outlaw are not made for flugelhorn (or cornet, or rotary…)
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ayryq - thank you Kind Sir I'm looking for a TORPEDO
bag though. The Flugelhorn version of the "Peacemaker" to be specific. https://torpedobags.com/product-category/single-trumpet-cases/

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
bag though. The Flugelhorn version of the "Peacemaker" to be specific. https://torpedobags.com/product-category/single-trumpet-cases/

Not trying to be smart, but are you using the term “torpedo” as the model/style of the case and not the manufacturer? I’m just a little confused.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

On the Torpedo website it says the Peacemaker holds one trumpet. I'm not seeing any mention of a flugelhorn version of the Peacemaker.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of a single flugel case made by Torpedo. I'm not 100% confident in their entire catalog, but I'm fairly sure.

The tube style single cases for trumpet - the Classic and Peacemaker in their various materials and configurations (always confusing to me) would have to be significantly scaled up to fit a flugel. It would actually be fairly large at that point.

There was room for a flugel in their multi-horn cases, but I'm not sure than any are available as they were going to be updated following the release of the Velox. Obviously, that hasn't happened.

Torpedo also produces the Cronkhite bags, which are made in a single flugel, but I'm guessing that's not what you're looking for.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Finn. Reasonable reply.
(Uff da!)

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Finn said.

I have owned literally every Torpedo case, as far as I know they have never made a case for a single flugel, other than the Cronkhite line, which as good as they are, is definitely a bag. As someone mentioned, I suspect a Torpedo type case for a flugel would be fairly bulky due to a flugel’s wrap and bell.

Brad
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the last flugelhorn gig bags that Glenn Cronkhite had in his inventory that he made. If the ones sold by Torpedo are the same or similar, they are excellent bags.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved with the purchase of a Superfine. Doesn't do he same thin as others but got some custom features and I feel good about it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw that you already ordered another solution, but I just thought I'd say that I have one of the Cronkhite super triples (actually made by Torpedobags, not an original Cronkhite) and I carry a flugel in the center of the three slots pretty much all of the time. I'm currently playing a Yamaha flugel, and it fits very nicely in the there, with or without a bell stand inserted as well.

My only nit against it is the leather dye used is fairly 'shallow' in the leather. If you catch a corner of the bag against a door jam, or even scrape the surface of the leather with something like a fingernail, you can see the underlying untanned leather showing through very quickly. The thickness of the leather is substantial and gives the overall bag a very solid feel. I also really like the rubberized underside to the shoulder strap that keeps it from slipping off while you're walking with it.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Randy, Looks really good but I just need something that gives me reasonable safety but that I can handle while using a wheelchair.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: