• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High A on British Brass Band style short model cornets

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I haven't actually. I've previously borrowed TKSop's Denis Wick 2 I believe. I have a Denis Wick 3B. I'm sure that the high A is the same as on my regular mouthpiece, but I could try it again I suppose, but it would only be for curiosity purposes. I completely agree with Dale's post. I have no intention on changing a tried and tested mouthpiece that I've played for 16 years, for one note.

Your tried and tested mouthpiece worked well for the Bach cornet? My understanding is that now you are playing on a Yamaha. There's a logic error if you expect the same mouthpiece to work well on every horn.

I have a friend that played Bach 1/2C or something like it for years. With his new British style cornet, the A was a problem. The Wick 3B was the answer.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I've received a lot of ribbing from my fellow players for having a couple of inches of solder wire wrapped around the throat area of some of my mouthpieces. For me, it makes certain notes above the staff lock in better. Yeah - I know - it's all in my head. On the other hand, Terry Warburton is selling "Speak Easys" for $70.

Then I have a C trumpet with a silver dime in third valve bottom cap. Go ahead - laugh.

It cost nothing to experiment with some (non-lead) solder wire and maybe a couple of washers. Small amounts of weight in different areas can effect how an instrument feels on certain notes.
Reeves - cylinder reinforcer,, receiver ring
Wick- tone collar
Curry - harmonic balancers
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RichardIII

No, admittedly because I didn’t clarify further, but you don’t have this right. I’ve played the same rim and cup for the last 16 years, but not the exact same mouthpiece. My current mouthpiece is a custom Kanstul one. The mouthpiece I used on my Bach 184ML is still in its case.

I also want to clarify that this is a minor issue raised for the sake of hopefully having an interesting discussion with possibly a solution to a known issue.

I played multiple high As during my brass band tonight. Not one had a sound that differed from the rest of the notes I played, not one was missed, split, mispitched or noticeably out of tune.

I’ve been happy with my mouthpiece on the Xeno since Jan 2013 or 2014. I have no plans to change it. Your colleague changed to a Wick 3B because a Bach cornet mouthpieces generally do not work well on British Brass Band cornets other than the Bach 184, at least in my experience and in the cornets I’ve tried.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Your colleague changed to a Wick 3B because a Bach cornet mouthpieces generally do not work well on British Brass Band cornets other than the Bach 184, at least in my experience and in the cornets I’ve tried.

Do you think that comes down to their length? I've noticed that my Bach cornet mouthpieces are at least a half inch longer than all my other cornet mouthpieces.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Andy Cooper has something going...this is a matter of the standing waves and nodes within the horn. I recently watched a video of the late Byron Autrey talking about standing waves in the leadpipe. He was dragging a small magnet through the leadpipe with a piece of steel on the outside of the horn and investigating where the nodes were. Nodes can be shifted by things like the trigger, a brace, or dimensions of the tubing, etc. If the Eclipse doesn't have this high A problem, it's probably due to the strange wrap it has.

I'm surprised that the makers haven't fixed this issue, but I think you could take some tape and wire and add weight in various places and see what happens. Ditto use some coins in the valves, O rings on the valves, etc. I think there would be something that would influence this high A...whether it would throw something else off instead, IDK.

There's a story about the Besson (I think) euphoniums having a flat note...evidently it was found that making a small ding on one of the elbows coming out of one of the valves fixed this out of tune note (by shifting the node). I don't remember the exact details of this. If you were very brave, you could drag a magnet thru the horn and when you found the right node, you could try making a small dent in the horn, I suppose.

I have some older Besson and Yamaha SC cornets here, maybe I should experiment around a little. Haven't played any of them enough to know if they have a bad high A...
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtropical and Subpar wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Your colleague changed to a Wick 3B because a Bach cornet mouthpieces generally do not work well on British Brass Band cornets other than the Bach 184, at least in my experience and in the cornets I’ve tried.

Do you think that comes down to their length? I've noticed that my Bach cornet mouthpieces are at least a half inch longer than all my other cornet mouthpieces.

Hi Subtropical and Subpar

No, I think it is because they are a lot smaller in throat and backbore, and they tend to play stuffy on cornets designed to be played with deep, open British Brass-band style cornet mouthpieces.

Although I no longer play a Bach cornet mouthpiece, I have a few from when I used to primarily play a Bach 184ML cornet. If you put a Bach C cup on a 928 Sovereign, there is an odd stuffiness. It doesn't feel tight, there is just a deadness in response, which I've concluded over the years, rightly or wrongly, is caused by you simply not being able to get enough air in for the large bore Sovereign to respond.

I've come to this conclusion, because the smaller bored 927 Sovereign although stuffy with a Bach cornet mouthpiece, will play with one, if you do something to make it more open i.e. sleeve it to make it insert further in the receiver (which has a lesser but equivalent effect in a cornet whose mouthpiece design does not have an actual gap, as decreasing the gap on a trumpet or cornet with a receiver that does have an actual gap (the Bach 184ML has an actual mouthpiece gap), open up the throat, or switch to a more open backbore.

The Xeno is pretty similar to the 927 Sovereign in this regard.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Over the years I've received a lot of ribbing from my fellow players for having a couple of inches of solder wire wrapped around the throat area of some of my mouthpieces. For me, it makes certain notes above the staff lock in better. Yeah - I know - it's all in my head. On the other hand, Terry Warburton is selling "Speak Easys" for $70.

Then I have a C trumpet with a silver dime in third valve bottom cap. Go ahead - laugh.

It cost nothing to experiment with some (non-lead) solder wire and maybe a couple of washers. Small amounts of weight in different areas can effect how an instrument feels on certain notes.
Reeves - cylinder reinforcer,, receiver ring
Wick- tone collar
Curry - harmonic balancers

Hi Andy

No, I'm not going to laugh or rib you. I think that you are right. My understanding from discussing the high C issue of the Bach 184ML on here previously, and some of the repairers joining the discussion is that it is a resistance node issue. One of the repairers said that he thought that it was something to do with the bore size of the Bach 184ML in relationship to the overall design, as the Bach 184L doesn't have the issue.

With the Yamaha Maestro, I've heard that it is the 1st trigger mounting. The 1st trigger is I believe more on the side on the Maestro and more upright on the Xeno. I owned both years apart. Even loosening the screws on the 1st slide trigger of my Xeno, appears to improve the issue to a point.

Even whether the lyre screw is tight or lose or all the way in or all the way out, makes a difference.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
I think Andy Cooper has something going...this is a matter of the standing waves and nodes within the horn.

Hi royjohn

I completely agree.

I recently watched a video of the late Byron Autrey talking about standing waves in the leadpipe. He was dragging a small magnet through the leadpipe with a piece of steel on the outside of the horn and investigating where the nodes were. Nodes can be shifted by things like the trigger, a brace, or dimensions of the tubing, etc. If the Eclipse doesn't have this high A problem, it's probably due to the strange wrap it has.

Very interesting, thanks.

I'm surprised that the makers haven't fixed this issue,

I am also, but I suppose there is no incentive to do so, since people are happily playing and buying their cornets as they are.

but I think you could take some tape and wire and add weight in various places and see what happens. Ditto use some coins in the valves, O rings on the valves, etc. I think there would be something that would influence this high A...whether it would throw something else off instead, IDK.

Yes, I think that you are right.

There's a story about the Besson (I think) euphoniums having a flat note...evidently it was found that making a small ding on one of the elbows coming out of one of the valves fixed this out of tune note (by shifting the node). I don't remember the exact details of this. If you were very brave, you could drag a magnet thru the horn and when you found the right node, you could try making a small dent in the horn, I suppose.

Interesting, thanks.

I have some older Besson and Yamaha SC cornets here, maybe I should experiment around a little. Haven't played any of them enough to know if they have a bad high A...

Many thanks for everything

All the best

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:

Hi Andy

No, I'm not going to laugh or rib you.

Lou

Ahhh but the day is yet young somewhere - cause I'm going to suggest that you reverse your 2nd valve slide...

No - really. I'm too lazy to do the search but there is probably a post on that on TH with hundreds of replies.
Some players swear it makes a difference .
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

No, I think it is because they are a lot smaller in throat and backbore, and they tend to play stuffy on cornets designed to be played with deep, open British Brass-band style cornet mouthpieces.

Although I no longer play a Bach cornet mouthpiece, I have a few from when I used to primarily play a Bach 184ML cornet. If you put a Bach C cup on a 928 Sovereign, there is an odd stuffiness. It doesn't feel tight, there is just a deadness in response, which I've concluded over the years, rightly or wrongly, is caused by you simply not being able to get enough air in for the large bore Sovereign to respond.

I've come to this conclusion, because the smaller bored 927 Sovereign although stuffy with a Bach cornet mouthpiece, will play with one, if you do something to make it more open i.e. sleeve it to make it insert further in the receiver (which has a lesser but equivalent effect in a cornet whose mouthpiece design does not have an actual gap, as decreasing the gap on a trumpet or cornet with a receiver that does have an actual gap (the Bach 184ML has an actual mouthpiece gap), open up the throat, or switch to a more open backbore.

All the best

Lou

Ah, thanks for the explanation. It makes sense that a large bore cornet would be more amenable to a large throat / backbore mouthpiece than not. I suppose it helps explain why my Bach 1C and 1B mouthpieces can feel stuffy on my .485" bore Conn Connstellation 38A while my very open Monette B11 does not. And why my Yamaha David King is so free-blowing with that cornet that it can make me light-headed at times

- Subtropical
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

Hi Andy

No, I'm not going to laugh or rib you.

Lou

Ahhh but the day is yet young somewhere - cause I'm going to suggest that you reverse your 2nd valve slide...

No - really. I'm too lazy to do the search but there is probably a post on that on TH with hundreds of replies.
Some players swear it makes a difference .

Hi Andy

Thanks very much. I'll check this out.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

All the best

Lou

Ah, thanks for the explanation. It makes sense that a large bore cornet would be more amenable to a large throat / backbore mouthpiece than not. I suppose it helps explain why my Bach 1C and 1B mouthpieces can feel stuffy on my .485" bore Conn Connstellation 38A while my very open Monette B11 does not. And why my Yamaha David King is so free-blowing with that cornet that it can make me light-headed at times

- Subtropical

Hi Subtropical

You are very welcome.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently changed to a Geneva Heritage cornet. The A is much closer to being in tune. For comfort I need to use about 5mm of first valve trigger if its an entry onto the A. The open intervals are also really closely in tune.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
I have recently changed to a Geneva Heritage cornet. The A is much closer to being in tune. For comfort I need to use about 5mm of first valve trigger if its an entry onto the A. The open intervals are also really closely in tune.

Hi GordonH

Very interesting, thanks.

If you don't mind me asking, is there any particular reason why you switched from your Besson Prestige? to a Geneva Heritage? Is it your own Geneva Heritage or a band issued one?

I haven't personally tried the Heritage, but a former band colleague has a Geneva Oldroyd Cardinal, which I had a brief go on. It was a cornet that I liked enough to consider that it would be worth a longer try sometime.

Although in reality, I'm unlikely to change cornet, as I'm pretty happy with my Xeno.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's a long story. I wanted something that was easier to blow and easier to make my target sound on. So when the project to design the cornet started I put the cash into Bitcoin hoping I might make a couple of hundred towards the cost. I ended up with £9000 so I effectively got the cornet for nothing, put the £3000 back in the bank and have £3000 for something else.

Main reason for changing is sound. The leadpipe on it is constructed so there is no gap at all and no smoothed out step. The receiver is machined to fit the leadpipe perfectly. This means that insertion length of mouthpiece makes no difference, which is a problem with some other cornets. The leadpipe flares out very quickly for the first 6cm then gradually to the end. This is different to most cornets that have a gradual taper. The bore size is the same as all the Geneva cornets. The valves are ultra tight. You need to use special light oil in them. I put in utrapure and they jammed.

Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
Well, it's a long story. I wanted something that was easier to blow and easier to make my target sound on.

Hi GordonH

Thanks very much, and I understand. Can you describe your target sound in words, please?

So when the project to design the cornet started I put the cash into Bitcoin hoping I might make a couple of hundred towards the cost. I ended up with £9000 so I effectively got the cornet for nothing, put the £3000 back in the bank and have £3000 for something else.

Wow! That's good

Main reason for changing is sound.

I remember you posting videos of you playing your Yamaha Maestro and your Besson Prestige. You have a great sound anyway, but I really liked your sound on your Maestro?

Is there a particular sound that you were looking for?

The leadpipe on it is constructed so there is no gap at all and no smoothed out step. The receiver is machined to fit the leadpipe perfectly. This means that insertion length of mouthpiece makes no difference, which is a problem with some other cornets.

Interesting, thanks. I totally agree that insertion amount of cornet mouthpieces makes a difference on most cornets. I use a Kanstul cornet backbore on my Xeno cornet, which coincidentally inserts the same as a Yamaha cornet mouthpiece.

It is probably me, but I'm a little confused.

If you look down the mouthpiece receiver of my Bach 184ML cornet, which has an actual gap, you can see and feel the ledge at the top of the leadpipe. If I put my Kanstul backbore in my Bach 184ML, the shank end hits the ledge before seating. Shanks that insert less far obviously give an actually gap, like with a trumpet leadpipe and mouthpiece receiver.

If you look down the mouthpiece receiver of my Yamaha Xeno cornet, there is a flat ring, where the top of the leadpipe has been smoothed out to match the internal diameter of the mouthpiece receiver.

My cornet is in the boot of my car ready to take to my brass band rehearsal tonight, or I'd measure how the insertion amount of my cornet mouthpiece compares to the depth of the flat ring down the mouthpiece receiver.

Are you saying that the taper of the start of the leadpipe of your Geneva Heritage, is identical to the taper of the mouthpiece receiver (but with a different starting diameter), so that there is one continuous taper from mouthpiece receiver to leadpipe, and hence this is why it doesn't matter how far a mouthpiece inserts, whereas other cornets have a different taper for the mouthpiece receiver and start of the leadpipe, with the join blended?

The leadpipe flares out very quickly for the first 6cm then gradually to the end. This is different to most cornets that have a gradual taper.

Is this for the reason I asked above (i.e. the taper starting at that of the mouthpiece receiver)?

The bore size is the same as all the Geneva cornets. The valves are ultra tight. You need to use special light oil in them. I put in utrapure and they jammed

Are all Geneva cornets like this? I've never heard people say this about the Sympony, and the one person I know with the Oldroyd Cardinal has never mentioned it, but I've admittedly never discussed valve oil with Geneva cornet owners.

I thought that the Oldroyd Cardinal played fairly similarly to my Xeno. I've never much liked the blow of the Geneva Symphony, but that is probably my personal preference.

Take care and best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My target sound is what I would describe as "compact". That traditional cornet sound was the result of the wrap and the interchangeable A and Bb shanks. The Heritage gets very close to this. The Maestro did too but it had quite an uneven response and tuning issues like the A and G#. The Prestige has a wider tone pallet so it could do it but I was finding it hard work.

When I look down the receiver with a torch I can see a ring where the leadpipe and receiver butt up against each other. The leadpipe fits into the receiver so when you run a toothpick down the inside of the receiver you don't feel the transition at all. Other cornets have the ridge smoothed out, but this is a totally flat surface.

The bracing is identical to a Sovereign.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: