• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Michael Sachs The Orchestral Trumpet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesplitmeister
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:35 am    Post subject: Michael Sachs The Orchestral Trumpet Reply with quote

Quick background. Throughout lockdown here in the Uk I’ve listened to countless podcasts and interviews, mainly trumpet related and feel in a solid place with information and approach to things. The more I heard Michael Sachs talk the more I really liked his approach and REALLY loved his sound.
I’m looking into buying this book, primarily to hear Mr Sachs playing the excerpts, after many years of auditioning I doubt there’ll be many dots in there I don’t have in an audition booklet somewhere so £50 seems a lot of more for the book. To be clear, I’d happily pay that for the recording alone as I see it as an audio lesson. Before doing so however I wanted to see if
1-is it possible to get the audio on its own?
2-is it possible to get the audio in a format I can play other than CD (I only have a CD player in my car)
3-have other people used this book and found it helpful?
Aspeyrer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. No, but could be an outdated answers (I was on your similar quest last year after having purchased the book about 8 years ago and wearing out the CD).

2. No, not for purchase.

3. Yes! The explanations before the excerpts are definitely informative with some good tips. There have been some requested excerpts for American auditions that were not easily found elsewhere, until the orchestra sends the parts. The multiple trumpet excerpts are formatted nicely. But, the audio is exceptional and likely more of what you really want.
acompton

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Bumping this thread Reply with quote

Did you manage to get the Sachs book? How did the audio work out for you? Did you decide to just go with the CD?
thesplitmeister
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn’t manage to find a copy of just the audio and couldn’t justify the price of £50 (or whatever I said it was in the original post)
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, the Sachs book is worth every penny three fold. The audio is worth much more than the price tag for anyone looking to develop their sound concept. The book is valuable for many reasons, including the insightful preparation considerations described in each foreword, but I have mostly used it to play section parts with others.

-aaron
acompton

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombahonker wrote:
Andrew, the Sachs book is worth every penny three fold. The audio is worth much more than the price tag for anyone looking to develop their sound concept. The book is valuable for many reasons, including the insightful preparation considerations described in each foreword, but I have mostly used it to play section parts with others.

-aaron

Thanks for the note, Aaron!

I actually received my copy of the book last week and am amazed at the wealth of information accompanying the excerpts. My only disappointment is that I was not shipped a CD, and the company is not answering my emails about it. I'm really hopeful they'll come through. I'll keep my fingers crossed, and keep writing until I hear something!

ac
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is bizarre, was the CD simply missing from the sleeve in the back page? Or was the sleeve not there at all? Regardless, I’m sure any reputable distributor will make it right.

Also, look on Michael Sachs’s website for it and errata and corrections list.
acompton

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the CD sleeve was completely missing from the back of the book. They did remedy the situation by just sending me an MP3 version, so I've now been able to listen to the excerpts. All's well that ends well!

Last edited by acompton on Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
mstrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the nice comments!

Through Presser Music we have just released a new updated version of The Orchestral Trumpet:

https://www.presser.com/414-41227-the-orchestral-trumpet.html

You can now buy the book in either a hard copy or digital version. The audio is also now available as a digital download instead of a physical CD.

I learned a lot putting this together initially, as well as each updated version that we've done over the years.

I hope all of you continue to enjoy this project as much as I enjoyed putting this together!

Take care,
MS
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the book a year or more ago. Didn’t even know there was supposed to be a CD with it.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
acompton

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mstrpt wrote:
Thanks for all of the nice comments!

Through Presser Music we have just released a new updated version of The Orchestral Trumpet:

https://www.presser.com/414-41227-the-orchestral-trumpet.html

You can now buy the book in either a hard copy or digital version. The audio is also now available as a digital download instead of a physical CD.

I learned a lot putting this together initially, as well as each updated version that we've done over the years.

I hope all of you continue to enjoy this project as much as I enjoyed putting this together!

Take care,
MS

Thank you for chiming in, Mr. Sachs!

I can only imagine the enjoyment of and learning from working on this project. Though I don't plan to audition for anything anytime soon, the commentary and excerpts are enabling me to learn more about this wonderful repertoire and find even more enjoyment listening to it performed by my favorite orchestras!

All best,

ac
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: