• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

USA vs UK vs EU Orchestras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: USA vs UK vs EU Orchestras Reply with quote

Another thread piqued my interest and got me thinking on this subject. I only have a general idea of what happens in the USA, and even then, I'm not particularly well-versed in how contracts work in the orchestra world (I come from the private sector which is almost entirely "at-will" and salaried).

In the USA, I believe most Tier 1 orchestras are salaried, yes? And, those salaries are public information, generally negotiated between the Orchestra Management and the Trade Union, from what I understand.

I also know that governments subsidize the arts a lot more heavily in parts of Europe than they do here. I have also heard that salaries tend to be lower in the UK and EU for orchestra musicians.

So, I'm asking, for those who know, what am I getting right/wrong, and what are the major differences between these orchestras (not counting artistic / musical differences)?

Also, not that I'm considering it, but what is the likelihood of an American national getting the foot in the door in a European orchestra?

I'm also taking the liberty of assuming that everywhere else in the world largely follows one of these models.
Trumpetinberlin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 129 orchestras in Germany that are salaried. 110 are financed by state or city, 8 chamber orchestras financed by state and 11 Radio orchestras, financed by the radio stations.
Sure you can get into a german orchestra as an american. In the eigthies and beginning of the nineties a lot of american trumpet Players got jobs in Germany.
Robert Platt Berlin Philharmonic
Chandler Goetting Bavarian Radio orchestra
Roger Zacks Duisburg opera
Allan Kirkendale Düsseldorf opera
Rodney Miller Düsseldorf opera
Steven Williams Beethoven orchestra Bonn
Michael Stodd komische Oper Berlin
And many more
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: