• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tone Development for Beginning Students

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BouttavongMusic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Tone Development for Beginning Students Reply with quote

We all know that sound is everything when it comes to trumpet playing. I am interested to hear of what everyone's opinions are when it comes to developing those healthy habits with students.

I cannot even begin to state how many times I have had this conversation with band directors with soft vs bombastic playing.

Let's just assume a student has been instructed with basic embouchure formation...

What are some pros and cons of just playing whatever sound comes out of the instrument? Is there a benefit to instructing a student to play softer, yet supported. When is a good time to expand their dynamic box?
Bethmike
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope some advanced players and instructors post comments. I would love to hear a few points of view.
Yamaha 631 Flugel
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, solid breath support.
Keep the airstream constantly flowing, windpipe not tense.
I don't know what the loud or soft controversy is other than someone taking a dogmatic either/or straw man where none is appropriate. Eventually, you should practice and develop a good sound at any volume.

I would recommend:
Vincent Cichowicz' "Long Tones"
- - (often wrongly called "Flow Studies" + title is deceptive)
Concone's, "Lyrical Studies for Trumpet"
Lowell Little's. "The Embouchure Builder"

For me, Vince Cichowicz' writing on breath is the go-to source; succinct, efficient and not prone to lengthy, pedantic micro-analysis.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my students keep a journal and we do daily journal assignments. Early on we define the term resonance. We talk about what makes a resonant sound, free vibration, relaxation. "A resonant sound can be soft or it can be loud. A resonant sound is flexible. We always strive for a resonant, full sound on every note we play."

I always remind them of this, but mostly for beginners you just work with the sound they're getting and don't try to micromanage too much physically unless you are 1 on 1 with a student. I am teaching a class of a 32 students at a time so that's not possible. Breathing visualization exercises... you are cooling soup not blowing out birthday candles. The lips need to be free to vibrate. Lots of call and response so they can try to match my sound.

Hope this is helpful.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Tone Development for Beginning Students Reply with quote

BouttavongMusic wrote:
What are some pros and cons of just playing whatever sound comes out of the instrument? ...

-------------------------------------
I think that some part of early instruction and self-training needs to emphasize being able to 'cleanly' play individual notes at a mp / mf loudness - having the note start at the desired loudness and have 'acceptable sound quality' MAINTAINED from beginning to end.

It is important for the player to understand and recognize 'acceptable sound', and to develop the skill to reliably produce it. After that, items such as moving notes, loudness changes, articulations, etc. can follow.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxTb2gEaTU4
RobertCharlton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Tone Development for Beginning Students Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
BouttavongMusic wrote:
What are some pros and cons of just playing whatever sound comes out of the instrument? ...

-------------------------------------
I think that some part of early instruction and self-training needs to emphasize being able to 'cleanly' play individual notes at a mp / mf loudness - having the note start at the desired loudness and have 'acceptable sound quality' MAINTAINED from beginning to end.

It is important for the player to understand and recognize 'acceptable sound', and to develop the skill to reliably produce it. After that, items such as moving notes, loudness changes, articulations, etc. can follow. I was self-taught as I was learning to play. At that time, I had studied sociology in college and don't have the opportunity to find a piping teacher. I used https://paperap.com/free-papers/labeling-theory/ to quickly do my homework by ordering essays on labelling theory. And only after graduating from college, I realized that after all, I was born for music.
going back to French horn!
Yamaha 668N, Holton DC mpc
The 'next note' is the most important one.
Lip gotta be able to vibrate!
http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/2021_Oct_5_web.jpg
October Rainbow

I developed an ear for music for a very long time and learned to play, because I was self-taught.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tone Development for Beginning Students Reply with quote

RobertCharlton wrote:
I was self-taught as I was learning to play. At that time, I had studied sociology in college and don't have the opportunity to find a piping teacher. I used https://paperap.com/free-papers/labeling-theory/ to quickly do my homework by ordering essays on labelling theory. And only after graduating from college, I realized that after all, I was born for music.
I developed an ear for music for a very long time and learned to play, because I was self-taught.

---------------------------------------
I think the words above were ALL from RobertCharlton - they are not from anything that I posted.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The process for learning the trumpet, and any wind instrumet, is lenghty, and just that, a "long process". I find fault in the question... "Let's just assume a student has been instructed with basic embouchure formation" is loaded with all sorts of misunderstanding..

First we get the sounds out, then we refine them over time. Often, they are gross, poorly attained, and out of control. It's a process of experimentation, repetition, and time.
I find many band directors give instruction that then has to be unlearned by developing players later on... too many to go into but as an example: "squeeze or set your diaphragm and blow" which creates all sorts of tension and more pinching an squeezing than necessary..

Long tones / flow studies
breath starts - "hOO, pOO, tOO"
lyrical playing
slurring everything before adding articulation
lip slurs - slow and fast
scales, scales, scales, scales
finger studies
articulation practice - from very pointed "tu" to legato "lu" and everything inbetween. no "TUT". "DIT", "..UT"
and all the above done with varying dynamics - with focus toward the softer end.

LISTEN.
Listen to trumpet players - having something to emulate, a target, is necessary. How do you know what the instrument can do if you never hear it.?
Retired Air Force Bandsman
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@zaferis, you being ex-AF and probably well experienced in playing music from the swing era like Miller or Goodman, maybe you can settle this for me.

I prefer ending notes just by simply ending the air vs. clipping the end of a note with the tongue, but I want it to be authentic. Do you clip the end of notes in swing-era big band music, at least on brass punches? Thanks.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
@zaferis, you being ex-AF and probably well experienced in playing music from the swing era like Miller or Goodman, maybe you can settle this for me.

I prefer ending notes just by simply ending the air vs. clipping the end of a note with the tongue, but I want it to be authentic. Do you clip the end of notes in swing-era big band music, at least on brass punches? Thanks.

Short answer is Yes, when the music style calls for it.. but for beginners and generally in music, can present a bunch of negatives.

I also PM'd a longer answer to you...
Retired Air Force Bandsman
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the PM, thank you.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: