• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Arban practice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Arban practice Reply with quote

Im planning on really zoning in on fundamentals in the coming weeks (Its been too long!) and will of course use the Arban. Looking for new ways to practice out of the Arban, something that will shock me into improvement! Please leave some advice, routines, and your personal Arban practice preferences. Thanks !

note: previously I've just skipped around in the scale, multiple tonguing, and arpeggio studies.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be interested in this:
https://bolvinmusic.com/product/arban-manual/

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: ! Reply with quote

very interesting, thanks!
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Arban practice Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Im planning on really zoning in on fundamentals in the coming weeks (Its been too long!) and will of course use the Arban. Looking for new ways to practice out of the Arban, something that will shock me into improvement! Please leave some advice, routines, and your personal Arban practice preferences. Thanks !

note: previously I've just skipped around in the scale, multiple tonguing, and arpeggio studies.

I don't think this is what you're looking for but, shock you, yes

Go to the characteristic studies, slow it down and look for different way to phrase. Don't be locked in by the bar lines or beam. Think of the phrase ending on the first note of the next measure or, whatever. Try to make the same notes say something different each time you play them.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Arban practice Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Im planning on really zoning in on fundamentals in the coming weeks (Its been too long!) ...

-----------------------
It depends on what 'fundamentals' you want to improve.
If your fundamentals involving sound production, tone quality, and embouchure for high range are all good, then just play exercises that force you to work on your weaknesses.

If you have trouble with sound production or embouchure-related high range issues, then using the written instructions and exercises in Arban's might not be enough to teach you about the necessary skills.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of Eric's book and it is one of my go to ways to work through Arban's if I'm just looking to make all around improvements to my playing (as opposed to needing to improve something specific on a timeline.)

Worth remembering is that there are no magic exercises. Beyond some initial improvements that are typical of exposure to a novel stimulus, it really comes down to how you practice the exercise and most people really need a teacher to help with that.

Kevin

Bruno Walter
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies this far. I actually bought Eric’s book and went through the first lesson today. I’ll supplement that with some jazz material and etudes and start the grind
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be open minded. The Arban exercises are wonderful as written, but that's just a starting point for continued development.

Take an exercise you like and play it in every key -- don't transpose, just change the key signature.

Single tongue an exercise, then play it again k-tongued, double or triple tongued (as appropriate) at the same tempo, and then again as fast as you can cleanly play it.

Change slur patterns and articulation.

Play them up an octave and/or add octave displacements.

Reverse dynamics (if written) and add dynamic extremes. How softly or loudly can you play them while still playing them cleanly without the sound breaking.

Add note bends.

There are years and years of fun ahead of you!
Bronxgroove

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Arbans Practice Reply with quote

Hi

I just started practicing out of the Arban book. How many times should you practice each page before moving on?
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Eric's Arban Manual. Do yourself a favor and pick up the St Jacome manual while you are at it.

The Prescott System is another method for working through the Arban. It is also laid out into weekly lessons.

Good luck.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just started practicing out of the Arban book. How many times should you practice each page before moving on?

A book like Arban's method is one you can productively practice from for the rest of your playing days. If you are at the stage where your primary focus is on developing skills, then practice each exercise you are working on for a week or two before moving on.

If your primary focus is on maintaining skills, then you may hone in on the exercises that best cover the "fundamentals" bases for you and play them daily as part of a longer-term routine.

It is worth emphasizing that you'll get the best value out of Arban or any other book you are practicing from f you are working with a teacher who can help you figure out what to practice and how to do so. If that is not possible, then the aforementioned Arban Manual by Eric Bolvin is a useful guide through Arban.

Good luck!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riffing off of that last statement, if you are not paying specific care in how your embouchure, air flow, tongue etc. are working, you are just refining bad habits.
They are much harder to correct and get back on the right path than doing it right in the first place.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Bronxgroove

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Riffing off of that last statement, if you are not paying specific care in how your embouchure, air flow, tongue etc. are working, you are just refining bad habits.
They are much harder to correct and get back on the right path than doing it right in the first place.

I used to play in grade school and just started again. I'm 48 I did ask my old teacher he said my embouchure is good but I try to pay attention to it. I'm getting good tones.
Bronxgroove

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwood66 wrote:
+1 for Eric's Arban Manual. Do yourself a favor and pick up the St Jacome manual while you are at it.

The Prescott System is another method for working through the Arban. It is also laid out into weekly lessons.

Good luck.

I'll check out Erics I also work out of Claude Gordons approach to practice and Carmine Caruso. I would like to play Jazz one day and hopefully some of these lessons will help get me there.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I always remind students of -- on most of the Arban exercises, if you look at the bottom, you'll find different 'models' to practice the same exercise on. They're written in smaller script. This essentially means that a page of exercises becomes several pages of exercises based on the number of 'models'. I think he talks about them in the introductory text. Practicing these really expands on the usefulness of the Urban book.

Keith
Bronxgroove

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
One thing I always remind students of -- on most of the Arban exercises, if you look at the bottom, you'll find different 'models' to practice the same exercise on. They're written in smaller script. This essentially means that a page of exercises becomes several pages of exercises based on the number of 'models'. I think he talks about them in the introductory text. Practicing these really expands on the usefulness of the Urban book.

Keith

Keith I haven't noticed that but I will check it out. Thanks for the tip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: