• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Comeback player for the last 10 years but...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkmatthews

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Comeback player for the last 10 years but... Reply with quote

Hello folks. This is my first post on TH.
I suppose I've been a comeback player for the last 10 years or so. That was after a 20 year layoff.

But, I'm getting up in years and my embouchure isn't what it used to be. Even worse, there seem to be fewer and fewer opportunities for a decent amateur player to play (even for free). All of the churches are hiring our local symphony orchestra brass players (which is great for them!) to play the Christmas, Easter & wedding services. The only regular call for my service has been the occasional event with Bugles Across America.

So, with that I'm going to sell off several horns. Most of my horns are probably not especially valuable but are interesting to me for one reason or another. The one trumpet I will definitely keep is the Bach Strad 37 that I bought in the 1980s with money from mowing lawns during the summers in junior high school. That horn has traveled many miles and been on the field at many stadiums for high school and university football games, so it stays.

Any other amateurs out there who simply don't have the opportunity to play anymore? What have you done, other than giving up playing?

Kind regards...
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an interesting question. I have played for 40 years with a 12 year layoff when I was working towards the job I really wanted. I am not much of a collector so never had many horns, essentially those in the signature.

I am not a pro (by far) but have played in bands that would actually be paid for their gigs and most of my music stuff was then funded through this money.

At the moment I am (not) playing in our community orchestra and while the not playing part was fine in 2020 and I would practice at home, 2021 feels a lot different.

With the situation as it is, there is no short term solution, but there will be times when we all can play again and that is what I will do:

1. go to orchestra rehearsals again
2. start a trumpet quartet or quintet. I have been discussing this with a colleague from the orchestra for quite some time. We want something small and flexible where we can just go out and play for half an hour or an hour and go home happy.
3. start a brass band along the lines of No BS or McNasty Boys or the like (on our level, that is). This is in the works with a sax player and we‘ll see if this materializes - been discussing the „how to“ with my teacher as well and drawing from past experience in similar bands. The goal is as in 2.

So, to make a long story short: if there are no opportunities (not even a local community orchestra?) make your own opportunities. There are PLENTY of people you can make happy with an hour of music on some city square.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
dkmatthews

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Brassnose & thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Your words inspired me to search the web for a community group, and it appears there are two community concert bands within 30-40 minutes of my location. Unfortunately, it seems that music ensembles have all shut down until the COVID virus is defeated.

Thanks much for the words of encouragement. I will contact the bands about being on a call-list for auditions when we have the virus behind us. Regardless, I'm going to sell a couple of trumpets and a couple of cornets, just to clear out a closet and let someone else get some use & enjoyment from these horns.

Kind regards...
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just play to play. Make it an indispensable part of your day.

I accidentally discovered a great place to play when my family said it was just too loud for them. I went up to the covered entranceway to our local primary school. I go up most nights the weather allows for 30 minutes to an hour.

And Brassnose is right. The folks doing their evening walks express their appreciation. The guys working the night cleaning crew come out and talk for a few minutes, then ask me to play something "lively" when they go back in.

I may not get as much time in as I wish a lot of days, but very rare is the day the horn doesn't come up to the lips at all. All I need is a little blues improv and I'm "good 'til tomorrow."
dkmatthews

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
Just play to play. Make it an indispensable part of your day.

Good advice, Croquethed. I've got my original Bach Strad 37 that I purchased new from Reitz Music about 40 years ago.

Then I've recently inherited my uncle's early 1940s era Conn 18B silver trumpet in the original case with the original alternate tuning slides + the original music lyre and original straight mute. It's a super-cool horn to play and the sentimental value is 100X whatever it's worth on the open market.

I'll play just to do something analog in this digital age.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any other amateurs out there who simply don't have the opportunity to play anymore? What have you done, other than giving up playing?

Looks like you've found a community group. which is terrific (once those groups start meeting again). You mentioned that you were a "decent amateur." Perhaps one way to stay motivated is to make it your goal to be a "good" amateur: Take lessons, work with your teacher on a routine and stick with it, and generally be as prepared as you can be when the opportunities to perform begin to re-emerge this summer. Good luck, and have fun!
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play for my own enjoyment, mostly. When I don't enjoy it, I take a break.
I do wish there were more opportunities. I did occasional jam sessions, and was playing in a community big band for a while, but I switched over to guitar when they had more of a need there.
HJL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a 55 year layoff, in December 2020 I purchased an 1961 Olds cornet and an Arban book and started playing. I was surprised how easily my fingers knew which valves to push and I could work my way through exercises and songs to the extent that my performance isn't quite awful. I am hoping to find a teacher and a community band (when my lip lasts more than 30 minutes.) I am very happy to have restarted.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quit soon after high school when I failed out of college and wore out playing in a pop band. A decade later I got motivated and found my way to the local community college big band. Through those contacts, I wound up in a series of big bands. Eventually, I tripped into a number of community musical theater groups. Contacts from the community college also got me into my very first lessons and that led to a number of gigs including an invitation to play with a pretty decent symphony orchestra for a summer concert series. Somewhere in the middle, I found my way into an R&B band, a rock band, and brass chamber workshop, and for a time, a salsa band.

One thing leads to the next if you're conscientious, motivated, and make yourself useful.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: