• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hummel - Original Markings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Hummel - Original Markings? Reply with quote

Can anyone settle a question for me? My understanding since university was that virtually all of the musical markings in most editions of the Hummel are editorial, and that the original includes little to no indications about dynamics, articulation, etc., in the solo part. Does anyone here know for sure?

Thanks!
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as copies are still available, one could purchase the manuscript facsimile alongside Tarr's editorial commentary: https://www.historicbrass.org/20-features/music-reviews/189-facsimile-edition-of-the-hummel-trumpet-concerto-1803

Hummel wasn't Bach - many of the expressive nuances in music had begun to make their way into scores and parts by his time, and we even know his preference for beginning trills ON the note (and not on the upper-neighbor, as in the Baroque), as became the case for Classical-period composers.

A further wrinkle in responding to your question has been taken on by keyed trumpet virtuoso and scholar, Markus Würsch - whose fairly recent work on the concerto sought to realign Weidinger's continued updates to his instrument with the subsequent elaborations and alterations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XkrFxPBLXQ

So - are those dynamic markings and slurs and crescendo/diminuendo hairpins in edited sheet music Hummel's? Probably not. However, they are there to facilitate musical performances of a work which faced a century and a half of neglect between Weidinger's New Years Day 1804 premiere and subsequent performances and Ghitalla's rediscovery and recording. If you're doing serious historical research on the piece, start with the Tarr, read every liner note to every recording published, read the body of work they cite, then go about finding your path to say something original about this little masterpiece.

Happy practicing,
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a copy of the original score of the concerto. Hummel DID place quite a few of the dynamics. My edition (like Tarr's edition) has Hummel's original dynamic markings. Any added markings are in brackets.

David Hickman
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts! Whenever I can go back into a library to take a look, I'll take a gander at the original parts.
ctindel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts! Whenever I can go back into a library to take a look, I'll take a gander at the original parts.

In a related note, Rolf Smedvig who was a student of Ghitalla published his edition of this work and made it available for free download as well (you don't need to buy the DVDs to download it).

https://www.learningfromthelegends.com/instruments/trumpet/hummel
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating. Thanks, guys.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctindel wrote:
Steve A wrote:

In a related note, Rolf Smedvig who was a student of Ghitalla published his edition of this work and made it available for free download as well (you don't need to buy the DVDs to download it).

https://www.learningfromthelegends.com/instruments/trumpet/hummel

That page is about the Hummel concerto, but the free PDF's for download are the Haydn.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: