• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need some advice / help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevinbs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Need some advice / help Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I have a question about a trumpet I found online. It is listed on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/STERLING-TRUMPET-1920S-1930S-MADE-IN-THE-CZECH-REPUBLIC-CASE-/384394970360?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Can anyone tell me anything about this trumpet? I do not see a serial number and doing a google search has not led me to anything. What is the opinion on buying a trumpet like this? Any concerns with buying a vintage instrument I should be aware of? I have a shop near me that works on trumpets and I would be okay putting some more money into cleaning it up but don’t want to waste money for it just to sit in a case or on a shelf if it would not be playable. Any advice or tips would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!
[/url]
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some advice / help Reply with quote

Kevinbs wrote:
Hi everyone. I have a question about a trumpet I found online. It is listed on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/STERLING-TRUMPET-1920S-1930S-MADE-IN-THE-CZECH-REPUBLIC-CASE-/384394970360?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Can anyone tell me anything about this trumpet? I do not see a serial number and doing a google search has not led me to anything. What is the opinion on buying a trumpet like this? Any concerns with buying a vintage instrument I should be aware of? I have a shop near me that works on trumpets and I would be okay putting some more money into cleaning it up but don’t want to waste money for it just to sit in a case or on a shelf if it would not be playable. Any advice or tips would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!
[/url]

Is your end goal to restore and tinker with this kind of instrument, or is your goal to play trumpet? If your goal is the latter, my suggestion would be to pass altogether and look for something else.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That horn probably wasn't all that good when it was made 90 years ago. I doubt it has improved with age. For a couple hundred USD, you could easily find a nice vintage Conn cornet or trumpet from that era, which will come with a very nice engraving, and tow notch craftsmanship for the era. Check out the Conn 80a, 22b, or even 2b "new world symphony" if you can find one for under $500. These horns would have been top-of-the-line in their era, and still good players by modern standards. If you're willing to spend the money on a project horn, make sure you've got a good instrument to begin with.

If you really wanted to go crazy, look for a Boston 3* (3 star) cornet or a Conn Connqueror model from the turn of the century. Beautiful workmanship on all of those old professional cornets.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horn is the latter day equivalent of the random Asian made stencil horn.

Now, to be clear, that area of Europe has a long history of making instruments, but they also were a center of lower cost instruments - just like Asia is now.

At least they're not trying to sell it for $400. I'd probably price it more around $50, but they're not way off.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming from your first name and that this horn is in the U.S. that you are American and don't have to worry about international shipping and Customs?

That horn is probably problematic for you if you're a beginner. If it were me, assuming you're on limited income and a beginner, you need to deal with someone with a good guarantee to protect you.

Your best bet is an in-person trip to the music store you mentioned if it has someone who knows what they're talking about, and that is not always a given. Otherwise, I'd call up the used brass section at Wichita Band and Music Co, and give them your requirements. It'll cost you a little extra than buying from an individual but they back up their stuff. I've done a fair share of buying and advice from them and they've always been reliable. BW, they may have more in shop than on their web site, so call.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any concerns with buying a vintage instrument I should be aware of?

It depends on your goal. It could be (quite) expensive to take a horn like that and turn it into a reliably-performing instrument -- fast/smooth valves, modern mouthpiece receiver, etc.

Also, be aware that many of the trumpets from that era blow and sound different from modern trumpets. So you might wind up with a horn that doesn't give you the sound you are looking for even after an expensive repair.

If, on the other hand, you just want a vintage horn to play for the fun of it...why not?

Good luck!
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of purpose I would be cautious about this one. The leadpipe damage is at the worst possible location for repairing (where the mouthpiece shank taper of the concealed receiver aligns with the start of the leadpipe taper. There is no hope of ever restoring the original internal dimensions, and because of the tapers, just pushing the outside back out for appearance is going to be tough. It would certainly cost way more than it will be worth to have it restored to looking great, and it will never play great no matter how much is spent.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: