• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bugle mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
x9ret
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Bugle mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hi. Any recommendations for bugle mouthpiece? I don't like the one I got with mine. Need something with more depth, more secure. Never need to go higher than a G on anything I'd play on this bugle so high range not a concern obviously.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should get you started.

http://www.usregulationbugle.com/bugle/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3

https://kellymouthpieces.com/kmbugle/index.asp#:~:text=KELLY%27S%20US-Regulation-Bugle%20Mouthpieces%20are%20manufactured%20entirely%20from%20our,is%20a%20great%20match%20for%20your%20brass-lacquer%20bugle%21

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll second the Kelly. Unfortunately, their size options are limited, though
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A standard-shank flugelhorn mouthpiece will fit a US Regulation bugle just fine. A trumpet mouthpiece will fit those British duty bugle copies.
x9ret
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shank is rather large on this bugle so no other mouthpieces I have fit it. I did a job on bugle today. It is much easier to play it with the tuning slide mostly in. Yesterday I tried to tune the bugle to Bb, thinking it would be nice to have it in a familiar key and maybe easier to play with slide out quite a bit.... but no, it's tougher! Think the bugle is closer to B or even C with tuning slide all the wa in. I play a John Packer bugle.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bugle are you using?
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There often isn't a "standard" bugle mouthpiece, so buying one over the internet might not be your best option. If there's a local brass repair shop, they often build up a collection of mouthpieces which would allow you to try a few (with a little help) to get one that works.

With the boy scout style bugles, even though they theoretically can play in F, it's probably not going to give you the best sound and might want to just leave the slide in.
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a modern bugle, I use the same mouthpiece I use on my trumpets, i.e., a Bach Symphonic 1.5C.

I am involved in Civil War re-enactments, and in those I use a reproduction of a bugle from that era (from Jan Berger), and it does not accept a modern trumpet, cornet or fluglehorn mouthpiece. It came with one that I hated. I sent it to Jim New to get the shank right, and he made me a bugle mouthpiece whose cup and rim is based largely on a deep "V" flugle mouthpiece. He has a blank that is visually period-appropriate for a mid-1800s instrument. I'm VERY pleased with it, and in fact he's making a duplicate for me now.

I suspect there are others in the trade, but I can highly recommend Jim New (formerly of Kanstul) based on my personal experience.

Take care,
Marc Speed
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Scodwell USA Bugle Reply with quote

I use a standard Morse taper trumpet receiver on my Scodwell USA bugles which along with the leadpipe used makes a bugle that blows very much like my Bb trumpets. The additional slide to G from Bb allows the player to play in the regulation key of G if desired. Most of the "regulation" bugles I've played are quite bad which moved me to design a better instrument for ceremonial uses.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to have a Kelly mouthpiece on hand for any cold weather usage. Mine came in handy doing a midnight ceremony in the mountains of NY.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: