• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anyone using Caruso on flugelhorn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JOF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:12 am    Post subject: Anyone using Caruso on flugelhorn Reply with quote

Has anyone specifically used Caruso's approach on the flugelhorn? When I studied with him, he always said that the range of a brass instrument was 5 octaves - and I am assuming that that naturally applies to a flugelhorn also. But do musicians who play both instruments consider the flugelhorn to have a less high range than the trumpet?
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Caruso on flugelhorn Reply with quote

JOF wrote:
Has anyone specifically used Caruso's approach on the flugelhorn? When I studied with him, he always said that the range of a brass instrument was 5 octaves - and I am assuming that that naturally applies to a flugelhorn also. But do musicians who play both instruments consider the flugelhorn to have a less high range than the trumpet?

I don't consider the flugelhorn to be any different than the trumpet. It's designed for a different sound, and therefore it also uses a mouthpiece designed to facilitate that sound, but otherwise, it's exactly the same - the key, partials, fingerings, and same basic range are all the same as a typical Bb trumpet. I have the same range on flugel that I have on trumpet.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
JOF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Anyone using Caruso on flugelhorn Reply with quote

trickg

That's what I suspected but wanted to hear from a flugel/trumpet player.
Thanks,

JOF
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Caruso on flugelhorn Reply with quote

JOF wrote:
trickg

That's what I suspected but wanted to hear from a flugel/trumpet player.
Thanks,

JOF

I'm certainly no expert - I only have my own playing/gigging experience to go by.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Caruso on flugelhorn Reply with quote

trickg wrote:

I'm certainly no expert - I only have my own playing/gigging experience to go by.

I have ordered the ACB Doubler, Patrick and since I never played a Flugel before the only question I have is whether or not the Flugel has more or less resistance than the Trumpet. I'm not sure what to expect when I blow those first few notes.
Sorry if my post doesn't belong in this thread.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Caruso on flugelhorn Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
trickg wrote:

I have ordered the ACB Doubler, Patrick and since I never played a Flugel before the only question I have is whether or not the Flugel has more or less resistance than the Trumpet. I'm not sure what to expect when I blow those first few notes.
Sorry if my post doesn't belong in this thread.

George

I'm not quite sure how to describe that for you - I guess flugel has less resistance than trumpet? Maybe? I don't tend to think of it that way - it's just a whole different blow and sound, yet the same pitches and fingerings. I've always enjoyed playing flugel when it's called for, not because of how it plays, but rather for how it sounds.
- ACB Doubler

GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, Patrick. I expected there would be a difference in the blow, but how much of a difference I guess is something I will have to feel my way through. I love the sound of the Flugel so I know I am going to enjoy playing it.
I use an ACB TA1 mouthpiece as my go to trumpet piece so, as suggested by Josh, I am going with the TA1MDF Flugel mouthpiece. Using the same rim ID will make doubling a lot easier.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
RC Horn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing the Caruso "spider web" exercises described on YouTube. Also some Flexus exercises.

I can actually play higher on a flugelhorn than I can on a trumpet. Trumpets have much more resistance. At least, it feels that way to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: