• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Blue stuff inside of slides

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumptrevol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Blue stuff inside of slides Reply with quote

Got it

Last edited by Trumptrevol on Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your horn needs cleaning. Slimy stuff is mold and other debris. To prevent it you can refrain from eating before playing or rinse your mouth with water beforehand.
Get a cleaning kit and watch a coyple of YT videos on how to clean your horn. You should be be doing this every six weeks or more often if you are playing a heavy schedule. If your instrument hasnt been cleaned for some time it would be worth the money to have a professional do it for you. Good luck.
Trumptrevol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uberopa wrote:
Your horn needs cleaning. Slimy stuff is mold and other debris. To prevent it you can refrain from eating before playing or rinse your mouth with water beforehand.
Get a cleaning kit and watch a coyple of YT videos on how to clean your horn. You should be be doing this every six weeks or more often if you are playing a heavy schedule. If your instrument hasnt been cleaned for some time it would be worth the money to have a professional do it for you. Good luck.

Thanks. I do clean it on the regular and I use a cleaning kit. When I do clean it though that stuff doesn’t come off so I’ll take it to a professional
Trumptrevol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uberopa wrote:

Thanks. I do clean it on the regular and I use a cleaning kit. When I do clean it though that stuff doesn’t come off so I’ll take it to a professional
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this first though. It is a poor man's chemical clean. Soak the removable parts like slides and caps and valves. Make sure to keep any felts dry. Use a solution of 1/3 Dawn dish soap and 2/3 white vinegar and soak for twenty minutes. You can soak the chassis in the same solution and for the same time. Snake out the slides and chassis . Flush or rinse with water. Make sure you clean your mouthpiece with a brush to keep the backbore clean. Amado water keys could use service with a Q tip and a drop of light grease or valve oil. Relubricate and assemble.
If you are ambitious you can vacuum out your case and hit it with some Febreze.
If your horn is silverplated some 3M Tarnishield is a good fairly low abrasive polish. If your horn is lacquer a light coat of car wax works.
Best of luck.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the blue is 'verdigris'.
Perhaps your 'body chemistry' is more acid than is typical.

Unless there is enough build-up of the blue to cause 'playing changes', then I wouldn't be overly concerned about removing it. But I do suggest you try to find a way to reduce new formation.

At the end of a playing session (after draining the horn), some people put a few drops (small squirt?) of valve oil into the mouthpiece receiver and rotate the horn so it flows through all the tubing and valves - the oil coating is claimed to provide a coating for the metal.

You could also ask your doctor, dentist, or pharmacist about foods or medications that could reduce the acidity of your breath / saliva.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
michael_bxl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same. Here is the result after the vinegar cleaning. The red color is a layer of copper. It goes away with a metal polish.

The green stuff goes also away easily with polish (I would prefer that solution)(try with toothpaste).
But it comes back after a while... so as there is noting to do, I don't think to much about it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: