• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece help please desperate!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bent tubing
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece help please desperate! Reply with quote

I am a beginner and recently purchased a used Cornet that came with a 3C mouthpiece. Since I'm a beginner should I buy a 7C which I understand is the best mouthpiece to start out on or will the 3C work just as well? I am desperately in need of help from someone with more wisdom and experience and generosity much appreciation for any help.you have to offer anyone please!
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing magic about either a 7C or a 3C. Either can be fine to start off with. It's not going to matter with your early development.
bent tubing
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece help please desoerate Reply with quote

Thank you one and all for your input!
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece help please desperate! Reply with quote

bent tubing wrote:
I am a beginner and recently purchased a used Cornet that came with a 3C mouthpiece. Since I'm a beginner should I buy a 7C which I understand is the best mouthpiece to start out on or will the 3C work just as well? I am desperately in need of help from someone with more wisdom and experience and generosity much appreciation for any help.you have to offer anyone please!

I think you will be just find with the 3C - it's similar to the Bobby Shew Jazz mouthpiece. Of course you could try a Bach 6 - that's nice too.

By the way - I'm a bit confused - what happened to your Z horn?

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34908&highlight=
18 Apr 2005 19:04 Post subject: Z trumpet
bent tubing
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece help please desoerate uh Reply with quote

I sold my z horn years ago couldn't learn how to nplay. I'm giving it another attempt.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First get an understanding of basic playing technique and embouchure function. If possible, a good teacher who can explain and demonstrate would be a big help - even for just one, or a few lessons.

My thoughts on the 'functions' that an embouchure does is here -
http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/Embouchure_Basic_Concepts.htm

it won't teach you 'how to play', but gives info about the basic mechanical functions.

If the 3C mouthpieces seems like a decent fit on your teeth and lips, then it should be fine.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal feelings are that the modern 3C is possibly too big for some players. It wouldn't hurt to get a smaller piece to see if it works any better. Rather than a Bach 7C which I really don't like, I'd recommend the Yamaha equivalent, the 11C4 or 11B4 both of which I find much more comfortable. You can get these used dirt cheap.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece help please desoerate uh Reply with quote

bent tubing wrote:
I sold my z horn years ago couldn't learn how to nplay. I'm giving it another attempt.

Yes - I notice you have had several trumpets and cornets over the years and spent some time in community band. You've also had experience with a number of different sized Bach mouthpieces including the 3C and 7C.

You would be more of a "come back" player than a newbie.

Since you seem to have had an OK experience with the Bach 7 mouthpiece many years ago - why not return to that for a while. Perhaps join a community band again.
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece help please desperate! Reply with quote

bent tubing wrote:
7C which I understand is the best mouthpiece to start out on

Nobody can say with 100% certainty that the 7C is the "best" beginner mouthpiece since everybody is different. "Best" here is subjective. This is the same logic behind "orchestral players must use a 1C" or "lead players must play the smallest thing they can find."

The 7C has become the most common beginner mouthpiece because it's close to the middle size wise (on the 1 to 20 Bach scale) and lots of horns come with one, so that's what people play at first. Yes it's reasonably small and good for undeveloped chops, but one could argue that its rim and cup depth aren't ideal for beginners.

Play the 3C and see if it works for you before spending money. It's a popular "weekend warrior" mouthpiece due to its flat rim and shallow-ish cup. It's also not all that much wider than a 7C. If the 3C gives you problems that can't be overcome through technique, then it would be time to reevaluate.
bent tubing
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece help please desperate Reply with quote

Due to the pandemic I had to stop playing in the community band but plan to resume when it is safe thank you all for your valuable opinions really helped
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the 7c
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

improver wrote:
Get the 7c

Get the 3C.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a 7c
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a teacher
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A piece of advice you can take or leave.
Get 7C Faxx, a 3C Faxx, and perhaps a 5C Faxx.
They are cheap, usually very well made, and available from many major online dealers. They are usually under $30.00.
Find the one that feels the best on you lips and go from there.
Last year, I bought a Faxx 1 1/2C to experiment with and found it a well made mouthpiece. I don't use it, but not because it was a poor quality mouthpiece.
R. Tomasek
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go with the gang that suggested getting a teacher evaluation first. They can look at your lips, hear you play and where you are struggling. we are both blind and deaf to your playing. You need real life support. What is it about your playing that you feel you are dragging on ? Range ? Comfort ? Budget is always an issue.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use the 3C, unless it’s some sort of cheap copy of one. For many people, the 3C is easier to play than the 7C.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref. the Bach 7C, a lot of players find the bite a little uncomfortable, while the Schilke Model 11 is basically the same size, a copy of Herseth's pre-accident mpc., but friendlier.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: