• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

IIIA Swelling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skip62

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: IIIA Swelling Reply with quote

Hello, I'm very new to Dr. Reinhardt's teachings and have just started working with a teacher who enjoys a very good reputation here. Unfortunately we can't get together as often as we'd like and I'm having a very frustrating issue with slight swelling of my top lip which kills my upper register after just 5-10 minutes of playing. I've been typed as a IIIA by said teacher. I'm assuming I'm using too much pressure on the top lip but am having a hard time reconciling getting pressure off it whilst keeping the jaw protruded. Any advice ? Thanks in advance.
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're definitely using too much pressure on the top lip if it's swelling so much the vibration stops after 5 minutes.

Sounds to me like you're digging the mouthpiece into your top lip. Grinding or screwing the mouthpiece into your top lip isn't finding your legs or establishing the correct mouthpiece pressure - it's just pinching your top lip.

Practice placing the mouthpiece without grinding it in.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: IIIA Swelling Reply with quote

skip62 wrote:
... I'm assuming I'm using too much pressure on the top lip but am having a hard time reconciling getting pressure off it whilst keeping the jaw protruded. Any advice ? Thanks in advance.

----------------------------------
I think that Reinhardt's method endorses 'transferring' rim pressure among the 4 'legs' - meaning that the actual amount of pressure will be different in various locations - depending on pitch being played.

For me personally (not using Reinhardt), I use my jaw position/lower teeth to 'shift' pressure off of the upper lip and onto the lower lip for high pitches - not much actual jaw movement, mainly just enough to adjust the rim pressure.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like you are using mpc pressure instead of finding the right embouchure placement and embouchure motion for transitioning into the high register. A good Reinhardt oriented teacher should be able to observe your embouchure and embouchure motion and perhaps even help you by taking hold of your trumpet while you are playing and moving it around until the sound and feel are best.

Speaking from my own experience with Dave Wilken, once Dave helped me get my embouchure in the right spot and established that I move up and to the left to ascend, my high notes became much easier.

Yes, it is true that Reinhardt advised keeping pressure off the top lip, but if you are finding it hard to do that and play as you want to, something is off in the embouchure somewhere, I would guess. If your teacher is not a Reinhardt guy, perhaps you could get a lesson or two with someone who is on line.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that this is a "too much mouthpiece pressure on the top lip" problem. It could be helped by as little as tilting the horn down a little more. This might create other issues at first but working on getting excessive pressure off the top lip will eventually resolve those issues. Embouchure/pressure changes take time and patience. You have to be prepared to run the marathon and not just the 100 yard dash with learning proper technique to play the trumpet well and easily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: