• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I need a little advice for a youngster

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin coming in with some monster advice. Welcome and thanks for the great contribution.

I wanted to highlight that there's a lot that can be done off the trumpet. I've met many high schoolers without a good grasp of rhythm, keys, singing, etc., that you can improve during this time. Pattern building, listening, rhythmic dictation and recognition. It is a challenge with the instant gratification that kehaulani talks about, but hey, you can try.

This advice is obviously not 100% directly about what you asked, but Robin covered that part well.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this: https://www.thomann.de/de/buzzbuddy_buzzbuddy_trumpet.htm?ref=mobile
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdpyle wrote:
Billy B wrote:
Teflon plumbers tape works well to cover the braces where the mouthpiece hits. Get the thickest you can find. Blue Monster brand is good.

Experiment with different diameter mouthpieces. Different sizes will contact the braces in a different spot.

It will feel different. Focusing on how it feels causes students to forget to breath. Focus on a good breath and sound.

Get Invisalign or some thing similar that can be removed when playing/eating/etc.

I have never tried the teflon tape. I can see how that could make things more comfortable without adding too much "stuff" inside the mouth. Inevitably, I'm sure I'll have an opportunity to test it out later this year.

I hope no one thought I was suggesting that the student focus only on feel, and ignore the wind and sound. That was certainly not my intention. It's just that the change in feel, and discomfort along with it, can be so overwhelming that the student often thinks of nothing else. I have found that addressing that issue head on, in combination with keeping the attention on tone and breath, often puts it in the rear-view mirror a bit quicker.

@Billy B
Do you have any advice on exactly how to teach younger students what sound they should be listening for when they play? More and more, I find that young students do not listen to music enough, so they don't have a strong mental concept of good tone, and since the sound is enough different behind the trumpet compared to out front, I'm not sure they would be listening for the right thing anyway (I know I didn't at that age).

Robin

The only way for a student to get a good sound concept is for the teacher to play each exercise/etude before the student plays.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned above - the Neill Sanders rim is a possibility. These are long out of production so you would need to have a custom mouthpiece. The Giddings Hickman Big Boy - while the rim would work - is simply way too deep and open for a beginner. His Medium cup with smaller throat would be a better choice. These are 17mm ID mouthpieces based on the Sanders rim - but rounder.

You might consider a very affordable, medium sized mouthpiece with a rather wide flat rim - the Yamaha John Hagstrom mouthpiece combined with tape or dental wax.

The whole point is to try to equally distribute pressure.

While I would find it unlikely to be comfortable with braces, you should probably try a couple of mouthpieces that are the opposite of the Sanders rim (high on the outside) - Bach 10 1/2 CW and Bach 10 3/4 CW - high on the inside but wide and sloping back.
Check these rims on the Kanstul comparator :

https://www.trumpet.cloud/mpc/index.html?mpc1id=A003100&mpc2id=B006900
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: