• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Warburton backbore star vs. no star

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Warburton backbore star vs. no star Reply with quote

OK, my local Craigslist currently has a gazillion Warburton parts for sale and I’m tempted to do some experiments. One question that came up is the characteristics of the star, such as 5*, vs. the regular backbores like the 5.

The Warburton site says that the star series is more free blowing than the standard series. Does that mean that a 6 backbore would be similar to a 5* or is this too simple an assumption?

Main field of use would be outdoors playing with a brass group in a smaller stadium, ca. 8000 ppl.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Warburton backbore star vs. no star Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
OK, my local Craigslist currently has a gazillion Warburton parts for sale and I’m tempted to do some experiments. One question that came up is the characteristics of the star, such as 5*, vs. the regular backbores like the 5.

The Warburton site says that the star series is more free blowing than the standard series. Does that mean that a 6 backbore would be similar to a 5* or is this too simple an assumption?

Main field of use would be outdoors playing with a brass group in a smaller stadium, ca. 8000 ppl.

The 5,5* and 6, to me, are all a little tighter blowing that a stock Bach #10 backbore. The resistance between the 5* and 6 are similar but the feel and sound is different. The * backbores to me sound broader - maybe more brilliant (not bright) while the standard backbores are more focused. I find the 6 backbore - somewhat restrictive compared to a Bach 10 but darker.
If you want a backbore that is a little tighter than a Bach 10 or stock Yamaha C , these might work. [Note: my views do not exactly agree with the Warburton site - just my opinions with the tops and horns I have used.]
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Warburton star backbores Reply with quote

As I understand it, the star backbores have a shorter cylindrical section in the throat area, which more closely resembles Bach backbone characteristics. (Not to be confused with the B series, which is intended to correct the gap issues some Bach receivers have with Warburton’s standard shank.) In theory, the star series is more targeted for classical type playing, while the non-star series with their longer cylindrical section are more suited for commercial playing.

That’s the marketing speak. Your best approach may be to use that only as a guide and test out which size and style works best for you.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I like medium open mouthpieces so I’ll maybe check out something in the Warburton 6 to 9 size. From what you say the smaller backbores may be too tight. There is also a Q, 1, and 1* for sale but those probably wouldn’t fit the bill.

The statement about focused vs. broader is interesting, will have to consider that. Will keep everyone posted, but may take a little bit of time.
1977 Conn 6B
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
From what you say the smaller backbores may be too tight

To me that depends on the trumpet that you are using: With my Getzen 900 LB mod. Severinsen I use backbore 4, with my 900 Eterna LB non Severinsen I use backbore 7, as I do with my Conn 22B and Courtois mod. Delmotte C-trumpet.
Backbore nr. 8 I use for my Getzen 700 since that horn has a lot of resistance in the blow.

I use the differend backbores for compensating the resistance in the blow, I actually never noticed anydifference in sound between them

The star series I used to use them but since I tried a non-star backbore I stick to those, I like it a little more focussed, to me easyer to play
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use GR and pre-fire Warburtons in my Yamaha 8335R. I believe what GR says about mpcs and horns being very player specific. If there is not a match then they're not going to work well. Mostly trial and error. I recently tried an old Q and it did change the sound, but caused a vibration that sounded like water in the horn. Doesn't happen with a KT or other backbores.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@hose: I agree. For every instrument I have one mp that works far better than many others. In principle I’m done with my mouthpiece safari but maybe there is a Warburton just to try The descriptions and all do help to roughly estimate what could be a good start, but obviously no one will have the exact same results like I will.
1977 Conn 6B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: