• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Duet Videos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Duet Videos Reply with quote

Summertime

https://youtu.be/WDdNjyWLYtA

A year ago, when everyone was social distancing and there were no signs of returning to regular gigs or work weeks with symphony orchestras here in Southern California, Tim Saeger and I tried to make the best of the situation and we made a series of duet videos to help keep us in shape.

What I wrote about this video a year ago :

It’s “Endless Summer” here at Saeger Studios in San Diego, but as the rest of the Northern Hemisphere slowly heads into the second half of summer, Tim Saeger and I thought this would be the perfect time for another collaboration.
We hope you enjoy Summertime by George Gershwin. There are 2 parts to this one and good things come to those who wait! If you love the summer heat and sizzle (and some sizzling screamin high notes), you won’t want to miss out on what we’ve got for you in the second half!

Much love from San Diego.

We hope this gets your weekend off to a great start and we hope you’re all safe, healthy, and hanging (ten) in there!

Chris and Tim
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice video. Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/E4-oJ0GXIic

CANONIC SONATA #1 by G.P. TELEMANN (transcribed for 2 Trumpets by Jay Lichtmann)

Back in February, Jay Lichtmann reached out and presented us with his transcriptions for trumpet of G.P. Telemann’s Six Canonic Sonatas. Thank you, Jay for introducing these fun and challenging Canonic Sonatas to us!

At first, Tim Saeger and I thought we would record all eighteen movements of these Six Canonic Sonatas, but we quickly decided that bringing in others might be a better idea. Not only would it significantly lighten the playing load for me and Tim (although Tim graciously took on the giant responsibility of editing all the audios and videos), but we thought it could be an interesting project for all involved to pair up professionals - with different educational backgrounds and playing philosophies - from orchestras and military bands across North America and as far away as Singapore.

One by one, we invited each of these trumpet players to pick a movement or two that they’d like to record. Over the next seven months, this giant project finally came to fruition and we couldn’t be happier with the end results!

Tim Saeger and I would like to extend a huge THANK YOU to:

Justin Bartels, Principal Trumpet, Colorado Symphony Orchestra

Jon Dante, Principal Trumpet, Singapore Symphony Orchestra

Jennifer Marotta, Assistant Professor of Trumpet, Thornton School Of Music USC

Scott Moore, Principal Trumpet, Memphis Symphony

Ray Nowak, 3rd Trumpet, San Diego Symphony

Kevin Paul, Trumpet, U.S. Army Band

Travis Peterson, Principal Trumpet, Utah Symphony

Tony Prisk, 2nd Trumpet, Philadelphia Orchestra

Raymond Riccomini, Trumpet, Metropolitan Opera Orchestra

Christopher Sala, Principal Trumpet, U.S. Navy Band

Jeffrey Strong, 3rd Trumpet, Los Angeles Philharmonic

Jack Sutte, 2nd Trumpet, Cleveland Orchestra

Jim Wilt, Associate Principal Trumpet, Los Angeles Philharmonic

If we remember back to February 2021 - not too much was happening in terms of live music. Though most of us were not onstage performing and we had relatively light workloads - this was still a big commitment and we are thankful to all of these amazing musicians who gave freely of their time and talents to this project - and not a moment too soon! As this recording project came together, most of us began returning to some semblance of a normal workload, which - if we had waited any longer - would have undoubtedly prevented us from taking on a project like this due to the time and chop commitments required for our jobs.

Speaking of huge commitments - though we lessened the playing demands for any one individual, this giant project would not have come together without the expert audio and video editing skills of Tim Saeger. Tim not only beautifully handled all of our sounds and videos, he also wrote up the detailed instructions for all of us to follow and was available at any time to answer questions and offer advice to help us all sound and look our best. THANK YOU, Tim!

Beginning today and over the next five Mondays we will present each of these Six, three movement Canonic Sonatas.

We hope you’ll follow along and we hope you’ll enjoy hearing all of these pairings of professionals who might otherwise never perform together!

If you’d like to play along - the music can be found here: http://www.wwjdo.com/_sites/sheetmusic/Telemann_Canonic.pdf

Canonic Sonata #1

Christopher Smith, Principal Trumpet, San Diego Symphony
Tim Saeger, Trumpet, San Diego, CA
Patrick Hasselbank

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My example of fantastic duets on the video is this: Sting and Chris Botti
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8mP7Xu4m8s
(score- https://musescore.com/mini/scores/6286876)
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/WthibR-7fJk

TELEMANN Canonic Sonata #2 (transcribed for 2 Trumpets by Jay Lichtmann)

1 - PRESTO
1. Jim Wilt, Associate Principal Trumpet, LA Phil. Jim has been a mentor of mine for at least the last 5 years. He has graciously agreed to play on numerous videos with us over the past year and a half and we are thankful for every single one! If you would like to hear more of Jim - you can hear any one of the 365 etude videos he recorded over the last year by visiting his YouTube channel at UCnOuQGNzT_XFnVwR7V3Gpdw

2. Jennifer Marotta, Assistant Professor of Trumpet, Thronton School of Music. Jennifer and I were colleagues in “The President’s Own” U.S. Marine Band for several years. If you’ve had the (dis?)pleasure of sitting next to me in a trumpet section and heard me make up lyrics to literally every phrase of music that I’m not playing - you can thank (blame) Jennifer for that! Jennifer is currently recording Arban’s “Art of Phrasing” and her instructive videos can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/c/JenniferMar...

2 - LARGO
1. Jeffrey Strong, 3rd Trumpet, LA Phil. Jeff is also a former member of “The President’s Own” U.S. Marine Band, however we didn’t actually meet until several months after I’d left the band and he had joined. Jeff’s career has taken him from the Marine Band to the St. Louis Symphony and now to the L.A. Phil. Through most of that time, our relationship was mostly through texts and messages. It was a good day when both of us landed jobs on the West Coast. During the pandemic, Jeff came down to San Diego multiple times to record and play quartets with us at Tim Saeger’s house. He also was a good friend in meeting me and my wife for coffee every monthly trip to Los Angeles for nearly a year.

2. Ray Nowak, 3rd Trumpet, San Diego Symphony. Ray is the colleague every trumpet section should want to have - a fantastic trumpet player AND a great person. Ray and I have introduced each other to some amazing tequilas and mezcals, but I didn’t really get to know Ray until we were shut down in March 2020. Shortly thereafter, we started meeting on a weekly basis for trumpet trios or quartets at Tim Saeger’s place. Those playing sessions turned into recording sessions and all day feasts! I’m grateful for our friendship and thankful to have such a great colleague in Ray.

3 - VIVACE
1. Jon Dante, Principal Trumpet, Singapore Symphony Orchestra. The one and only time I met Jon in person was nearly 20 years ago when the Marine Band was on tour in New Mexico. He is good friends with @Kurt Dupuis, Principal Trumpet of the Marine Band and Kurt insisted I meet Jon. That tour - “The Texas Tour” - Kurt and I tried to eat ribs at nearly every stop. Before our concert in Albuquerque, Jon took us to a restaurant and suggested we try the brisket. We did not. We ordered ribs… and then decided Jon’s advice should be heeded from that point forward. After the concert, we heeded Jon’s advice… and it was one of the most epic hangs I’ve ever had! If you’d like to know more about Jon, check out his bio and discography here: https://jondante.com/about/

2. Tony Prisk, 2nd Trumpet, Philadelphia Orchestra. Tony is one of the few people on this project that I’ve never met in person. But - being that Tony studied at McGill University in Montreal, we have several of the same influences running through us! Tony has also graciously joined us for several videos over the last year and we are so very thankful! In addition to playing with the Philadelphia Orchestra, Tony also has a passion for teaching - which includes recording a series of trumpet videos on how to play section parts in a symphony orchestra. This fantastic series can be found here: UCExbrtVAbwkjjprUPk4Sfxw

I would be remiss if I didn’t once again acknowledge Tim Sager and his amazing work with the audios and videos of everyone on this project. NONE of this would have been possible without Tim helping all of us. It takes an enormous amount of trust for a professional to hand over their audio to someone they don’t know. Tim has certainly earned all of our trust. If anyone watching this needs any audio or video work - Tim is your person to call!
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice.

Thanks for posting.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
Really nice.

Thanks for posting.

Warm regards,
Grits

Thank you for taking the time to listen and comment.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically Buzzed wrote:
Grits Burgh wrote:
Really nice.

Thanks for posting.

Warm regards,
Grits

Thank you for taking the time to listen and comment.

Chris,

If you will keep posting, I'll keep listening. I am very grateful to professionals who take the time to share their craft with hackers like me. This forum can sometimes be long on talk and short on action. Not only that but it is the possibility that a trumpet can be played so well and sound so beautiful that motivates me to go over my Arban exercises again and again. The delusion that one day I might play like that keeps me going.

Well, that and the fact that I enjoy listening to good music played well - and that was definitely well played.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/Q-8vc16L4IY

TELEMANN Canonic Sonata #3 (transcribed for two Trumpets by Jay Lichtmann)

1 - ALLEGRO
1. Travis Peterson, Principal Trumpet, Utah Symphony. Though Travis and I barely know each other - we met briefly at an audition several years ago - both Tim Saeger and I have been huge fans of his trumpet videos he has put out on Facebook over the last year and a half. Not only is the playing fantastic, but his holiday videos in particular are so much fun to watch! If you’d like to check them out (especially the Born on the Fourth of July with members of the Utah Symphony trumpet section) you can find them here: https://www.facebook.com/trapeter/videos_by . Thank you, Travis for graciously accepting our invitation to join us on several movements!

2. Tony Prisk, 2nd Trumpet, The Philadelphia Orchestra. In addition to playing 2nd Trumpet in Philadelphia, Tony also teaches at both Boyer College of Music and Dance - Temple University and at Peabody Conservatory. His insightful series on section trumpet excerpts should be required viewing for ALL students of the trumpet. Give Tony a follow here: anthonyprisktrumpet also check out his YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/tptboy1974/featured for more videos!

2 - LARGHETTO
1. Jack Sutte, 2nd Trumpet, The Cleveland Orchestra. Jack and I seem to cross paths every ten years or so. I first met Jack briefly at the Aspen Music festival when he was preparing for his Cleveland Orchestra audition and I was a student at the festival. Several years later we met at the bachelor party of a mutual friend where he gave me some valuable insights into playing in symphony orchestra. And now -just a few months ago - Jack was performing out here in San Diego and we were able to meet up for lunch. Jack has recorded all of Nathan Ost’s Etudes for Trumpet - these can be found here:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj83EwxRQ9S312tNV2S2DjA . In addition, Jack has taken on a GIANT project of recording all of the Sonatas written for trumpet. You can find his albums on Spotify here: https://open.spotify.com/artist/0kR5vhNqLnTtFJSKsbgQUX

2. Justin Bartels, Principal Trumpet, Colorado Symphony. Justin and I first met at an audition almost ten years ago. If you want to hear a funny story, ask him about that one night in Alexandria, Va… We then met again at another audition about five years ago - though no hilariously funny stories to tell about that night, we definitely had a fun evening - even though neither of us won the audition. In addition to playing in the Colorado Symphony, Justin also teaches at the University of Colorado Boulder - https://www.colorado.edu/music/justin-bartels

3 - ALLEGRO ASSAI
1. Raymond Riccomini, Trumpet, The Metropolitan Opera. Yet another person I’ve met only briefly at a trumpet audition LOL! Raymond has graciously agreed to record several of these movements for us and we couldn’t be more thankful! In addition to playing in the Met Opera Orchestra, Raymond also teaches at Mannes: https://www.newschool.edu/mannes/faculty/raymond-riccomini/ . If you are interested in hearing more - check out his amazing and inspiring video of the Olympic Fanfare: https://www.facebook.com/raymond.riccomini/videos/968366220662305

2. Jack Sutte, 2nd Trumpet, The Cleveland Orchestra. See above and click on those links to hear more of Jack!

Once again, we all extend a huge THANK YOU to Tim Saeger for his expert work in getting this project together! He has handled all of our audios and videos with amazing care and has truly made us all shine.

Thank you to Jay Lichtmann for taking the time to transcribe all of these Canonic Sonatas. If you’d like to follow along - or better yet play along - these Sonatas can be found here: http://www.wwjdo.com/_sites/sheetmusic/Telemann_Canonic.pdf

Thank you for following along and we’ll see you next Monday for Sonata #4!

- Chris
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/SxgUENE2EjQ

TELEMANN Canonic Sonata #4 (transcribed for two trumpets by Jay Lichtmann)

1 - MODERATO
1. Kevin Paul, Trumpet, “The Pershing’s Own” United States Army Band. I recently had the pleasure of finally meeting Kevin when I was in the D.C. area a couple of months ago. If you’ve been following @Military Trumpet Jobs, then you’ll know Kevin. If you aren’t following @Military Trumpet Jobs, go do so now! These folks are putting out some fantastic short duet videos combining trumpet players from orchestras and military bands from across North America. Both Tim Saeger and I thank Kevin for his willingness to join us on this project and on our holiday videos back in December!
2. Christopher Sala, Principal Trumpet, United States Navy Band. Principal Trumpet, Annapolis Symphony. I also had the great pleasure of meeting up with Christopher a couple of months ago when I was in the D.C. area. Though Chris and I were in D.C. military bands for several overlapping years, we rarely found ourselves playing together. If I remember correctly, I THINK we played in a quintet together once at the Renaissance Festival in Maryland… but after so many greasy turkey legs and Octoberfest libations, my memory may not be correct

2 - PIACEVOLE NON LARGO
1. Jim Wilt, Associate Principal Trumpet, @L.A. Phil. After recording 365 trumpet etudes during the last year, one would have expected Jim to pass on recording more. Thankfully, however, he accepted our invitation and agreed to record three movements. We appreciate Jim’s willingness to give so freely of his time and talents to this project! If you’d like to listen to more of Jim, check out his YouTube page here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnOuQGNzT_XFnVwR7V3Gpdw/videos
2. Jeffrey Strong, 3rd Trumpet, @L.A. Phil. What a rare treat to get to hear half of the LA Phil trumpet section play together without having a ticket to the Hollywood Bowl or Disney Hall! I’ve thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Jeff better over the last year and a half and SO enjoy hearing him play the trumpet! We are thankful to Jeff for joining us for a few movements on this project as well as joining us on several of our other projects. Jeff’s latest claim to fame is his ability to cook an amazing salmon fillet. If you’re ever in the Los Angeles area, bring a nice beverage over to his place and insist he cooks up a giant slab of salmon for you!

3 - PRESTO
1. Jon Dante, Principal Trumpet, @Singapore Symphony Orchestra. We begged Jon to record his video out on his boat, but alas… We are thankful to Jon for joining us on these Canonic Sonatas. If you’d like to hear more of Jon, check out his YouTube page here: https://www.youtube.com/user/mpotrumpet1
2. Scott Moore, Principal Trumpet, @Memphis Symphony Orchestra. Though Scott and I have yet to meet in person, in an interesting coincidence we’ve both sat next to the same trumpet player at differing points in our careers. Over the last year and half, Scott has recorded some fun and interesting videos. If you’d like to hear more of Scott and check out some of these multi-trumpet videos - check out his YouTube page here: https://www.youtube.com/user/skahmo

As always, we all thank Tim Saeger for all of his help and expertise. None of these projects would be possible without him and we are so thankful for his guidance and great care with all of our audios and videos!

Thank you for following along and taking the time to listen to all of these fantastic trumpet players. See you next week for Canonic Sonata #5!
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/sSr8BgOzzRs

TELEMANN Canonic Sonata #5 (transcribed for two Trumpets by Jay Lichtmann)

At the risk of continuously repeating myself - we are so incredibly thankful for all of these amazing musicians agreeing to join in on this Telemann Canonic Sonatas project. As all of us are now headed back to regular work weeks with our orchestras, we are keenly aware that this project would not have been possible without the additional time we all had in our schedules while we were out of work. Throughout this time away from regular performances, Tim Saeger and I have tried to make the best of the situation. We made our own videos for your enjoyment, but have also tried to include a wide variety of trumpet players to hopefully give everyone who joined some things to challenge ourselves with.

Thank you to Jay Lichtmann for taking the time to transcribe all of these Canonic Sonatas. If you’d like to follow along - or better yet play along - these Sonatas can be found here: http://www.wwjdo.com/_sites/sheetmusic/Telemann_Canonic.pdf

As always - a HUGE thank you to Tim Saeger. We would be nowhere without you helping all of us with our audios and videos. This project certainly would have never come together without you!

Thank you for taking a listen and we’ll see you next week for the final video in this series, Canonic Sonata #6!

1 - VIVACE
1. Scott Moore, Principal Trumpet, Memphis Symphony Orchestra https://memphissymphony.org/meet.../musicians/scott-moore
2. Justin Bartels, Principal Trumpet, Colorado Symphony https://coloradosymphony.org/.../Bar.../fn/Justin/in/Trumpet

2 - CANTABILE
1. Raymond Riccomini, Trumpet, The Metropolitan Opera https://www.metorchestramusicians.org/.../raymond.../
2. Travis Peterson, Principal Trumpet, Utah Symphony https://utahsymphony.org/bio/travis-peterson/

3 - SCHERZANDO
1. Ray Nowak, 3rd Trumpet, San Diego Symphony https://www.sandiegosymphony.org/.../member/ray-nowak/
2. Chris Smith, Principal Trumpet, San Diego Symphony https://www.sandiegosymphony.org/.../christopher-smith/
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/tp_lS-_bT14

TELEMANN Canonic Sonata #6 (Transcribed for two trumpets by Jay Lichtmann)
The last six weeks has been a lot of fun to present these Canonic Sonatas to you. As with everything - all things must come to an end, and here we are - the final Canonic Sonata #6.
These projects are huge undertakings - and with so many of us heading back to work - this will be the last large-scale multi-trumpet project from us for awhile. From presenting new works for trumpet ensemble to fun Christmas videos to these Telemann Canonic Sonatas - Tim Saeger and I hope you have enjoyed all of the videos we have been able to release. It has been an honor and a privilege to connect and work with so many amazing trumpet players from all over the world these last 18 months or so.
I know I’ve said this before - but - none of these videos would be possible without all of the hard work Tim Saeger does behind the scenes. Tim gets everything together for us with as much information as possible for all of us to succeed in recording our parts - then he very patiently helps all of us with any questions we may have or help we may still need. Once we’ve finished recorded our parts - the work is just beginning for Tim. Though I have the crazy ideas of what to record, Tim is the driving creative force for how these videos will look on the screen. I can only imagine how many hours it must take to create these beautifully designed videos! Thank you, Tim for making all of us sound and look so good!
Finally, we would like to thank YOU - our online audience - for watching and following along. We hope these videos have served to educate and inspire - and we hope you’ve enjoyed watching them as much as we’ve enjoyed creating them. THANK YOU!
TELEMANN Canonic Sonata #6
1 - VIVACE
1. Raymond Riccomini, Trumpet, Metropolitan Opera https://www.metorchestramusicians.org/.../raymond.../
2. Ray Nowak, 3rd Trumpet, San Diego Symphony https://www.sandiegosymphony.org/.../member/ray-nowak/
2 - SOAVE
1. Scott Moore, Principal Trumpet, Memphis Symphony Orchestra https://memphissymphony.org/meet.../musicians/scott-moore
2. Chris Smith, Principal Trumpet, San Diego Symphony https://www.sandiegosymphony.org/.../christopher-smith/
3 - ALLEGRO ASSAI
1. Jim Wilt, Associate Principal Trumpet, L.A. Phil https://www.laphil.com/musicdb/artists/5755/james-wilt
2. Chris Smith, Principal Trumpet, San Diego Symphony https://www.youtube.com/c/ChristopherSmithTrumpet/videos
Jay Lichtmann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wwjdo.com/_sites/sheetmusic/Telemann_Canonic.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: