• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Don't sleep on the Jupiter XO 1600i

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffTheHornGuy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Don't sleep on the Jupiter XO 1600i Reply with quote

A few weeks ago, I bought a Jupiter XO 1600i for a pretty low price not expecting to keep it very long, but now I have to say this horn is here to stay. My gig for the past while and for the foreseeable future has been playing in an indie-soul-rock-pop band, so I was definitely in the market for a horn that can really "cut through" a loud amplified band rather than "soar over" it. Well, this horn can certainly do both of those things. You know it's not just the placebo when rhythm section players say "you sound so good today!" without noticing you're playing a different horn!

I really like the feel of the .453 bore - it certainly feels efficient, but still allows me to pump tons of air through it if I'm playing like a barbarian. The sound can be like a lazer, and and has a really nice "burn" to it when I push it hard above a top-staff G. This surprised me because the horn isn't particularly lightweight either, probably in line with a standard weight Yamaha. When I back off, even with a lead mouthpiece, it keeps its core and can blend with other horns easily. My favorite thing about the horn, though, is the intonation. All of the problem notes - the 4th partial E, Eb, D, and C#, the high A, and the high D - all require no adjustments, unlike pretty much every other horn I've played. I know this isn't just me getting lucky with the gap, either, since it remains in-tune with any mouthpiece I choose.

A few years ago I was hearing about this horn all the time, but I haven't been seeing much about it recently. I just wanted to give this horn some praise and put it on the radar again!
Custom Lawler C7
Electronic music producer
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear. Reasonably priced too. I'd love to try one.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned and played a Jupiter 1600i in lacquer since 2015. I bought it because my main gig was doing horn lines in a wedding dance band, so it was a lot of everything - Motown, disco, 50s, classic rock, swing, country, etc - you name it. If you can dance to it, chances are it's in the book.

I'd been playing on a Schilke B6 and that horn had some frustrations. I always felt that the slotting was just not very defined and as a result, unless I was working my butt off in the practice room, I think I had more off nights than nights where I was really on. I shifted from a Schilke 14A4 mouthpiece to a Warburton 4SVW/KT mouthpiece - something that had a bit more of a defined "bite," and that helped my accuracy some, but my accuracy still left some to be desired.

The Jupiter brought the whole thing home - big phat brassy sound that cuts, and the slotting is right on the money. That horn made me a better player - no two ways about it.

Here are some recordings that were pulled off of the sound board on a couple of gigs, and it illustrates a bit what that horn sounds like.

I Want You Back - Jackson 5
https://soundcloud.com/trickg/i-want-you-back-new-monopoly-live

Downtown - Petula Clarke
https://soundcloud.com/trickg/downtown-new-monopoly-live
(trumpet solo starts at 1:58 )

I have two complaints about this horn. The first is that the 4th line D is really low. It's possible that this is something that has since been tweaked on this model, but on mine it's so low that in my effort to push it up if I'm already tuned a bit low, it's one of the few notes that I'll miss because it breaks to the next partial to the F.

My other complaint is that I never felt that the sound was quite right for more classically oriented music. It works, but any time I'm pushing any kind of volume, even with a bigger mouthpiece, it just wants to light up.

But I still have to say, it's one of the best horns I've owned over the long haul. The only horn I ever owned where maybe, (and it's a big maybe) I had a horn that played overall that well, is my original Bach Strad 37, but I also put TONS of time in on that horn - we're talking 5-7 hours a day when I was at my peak with it.

EDIT: I don't actually own the Shires I have listed in my signature line - that's on a semi-permanent loan from the National Guard band, and I'll have to give it back when I retire in a couple of years.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
SterlingBell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 1600i 8 years ago or so because it was so different than my 1990 Bach 43 Sterling Bell. It is efficient, slots like crazy and almost plays itself. The only thing it can’t do is play with a warm sound. I’ll bet it’s the perfect studio horn. I’m warming up on mine right now.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SterlingBell wrote:
I bought a 1600i 8 years ago or so because it was so different than my 1990 Bach 43 Sterling Bell. It is efficient, slots like crazy and almost plays itself. The only thing it can’t do is play with a warm sound. I’ll bet it’s the perfect studio horn. I’m warming up on mine right now.

That mirrors what I always felt about it. I'm pretty much a one-horn guy - I pick a Bb, acclimate and settle into it, and then that's my horn. When I was gigging with the wedding band so much, (sadly a gig that has completely dried up in recent times) that horn was the perfect horn for it. It sounded great in that setting and the sound cut right through the mix. When I had to classical work, I could make it work, but I never felt that the sound was quite right.

I play a fair amount with a good friend of mine, and as soon as I was issued the Shires and switched to that, he immediately remarked about the improvement of my sound for legit playing.

I'm not sure what I'll do with mine. It has been a great horn, but when I leave the National Guard band in a year or two (I'm close to being able to put in for my retirement) and I have to give back the Shires, I'll probably pick up something else along those lines - maybe a Shires, maybe a Yamaha Chicago.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a XO-Brass 1600i a few years ago. Great horn, good sound (to me; I like brassy sounding trumpets), easy to play but not a great step forwards compared to my Conn 22b. In fact, the slotting of the 1600i to me was a little bit over the top, I prefer a horn a little more loose so I sold her to someone I know.
He is an amazing player, to him it is a very good addition to his small collection
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: