• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Etude Videos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/mfPSZQxLQlo

BRAHMS Etude #5 from 12 Etudes for Trumpet by Johannes Brahms

I recorded five of the 12 Studies for Trumpet by Johannes Brahms. Without fail, the most difficult thing with these is to figure out where to breathe!

The obvious choice would have been to record these on the German rotary valve trumpet, but I had not played my Bb trumpet in quite some time - so I decided to reacquaint myself with that instrument and record some of these studies.

Thank you for taking a listen and following along!

- Chris
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/gvHovydPb7A

“Sanyan Saturdays” - Balasanyan Saturdays, that is - continue with Etude #23 by S. Balasanyan from 25 Melodic Etudes

If you’re familiar with the Wurm 45 Easy Studies and wonder where to turn next - before moving on to much longer Boehme or Brandt Etudes - these Balasanyan 25 Melodic Etudes may be the right choice for you.

Longer than the Wurm 45 Easy Studies, but without the range needed for Boehme or Brandt etudes, these 25 Melodic Etudes by S. Balasanyan could be an invaluable tool for the progressing student (or even professional) looking to focus on just a couple of aspects of their playing - without the inherent complications of longer etudes to worry about.

These may be available for free online, but if you cannot find them free, you can purchase these here: https://qpress.ca/product/25-melodic-etudes-balasanyan/

I recorded all 25 Melodic Etudes - without edits - between March 12-16, 2021. I hope you enjoy this Balasanyan series as much as I enjoyed recording these previously unknown to me etudes!

Recorded without edits in my StudioBricks XXL booth while sheltering in place in San Diego, CA during the pandemic in March 2021.
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/daR7FGvFmK8

"SNEDECOR SUNDAYS" end with "Mail Call" from The Lyrical Orchestral Trumpet - Original etudes based on standard lyrical excerpts by Phil Snedecor

I saved the most challenging for last. A true test of endurance - this etude is based on the Posthorn Solo from Mahler's 3rd Symphony. HOWEVER - instead of "only" playing for a couple of minutes - this etude is nearly SEVEN minutes of nonstop trumpet playing! Thanks, Phil!

These etudes written by Phil Snedecor have been a staple in my routine for over the past decade.

Each day I'll usually choose one etude to play from each of the following books - Low Etudes for Trumpet, Lyrical Etudes for Trumpet Vol. 1, Lyrical Etudes for Trumpet Vol. 2, and The Lyrical Orchestral Trumpet.

You can find these etudes here: http://www.pasmusic.com/PAS_Music/Etude_Books.html and if you choose to follow along, I hope you have as much fun playing these as I did recording them and rotating them through my daily practice routine!

Have a great rest of your weekend and I look forward to seeing you next week!

- Chris
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/h5r0ytaeoEw

“CHUMOV CHUESDAYS” continue with Etude #8 from 24 Etudes for Trumpet by Leonid Chumov

If you’ve been following along for the past few months, you will know that I’ve recorded the Wurm 45 Easy Studies and the Balasanyan 25 Melodic Etudes. These Chumov 24 Etudes would be a next logical step if one we’re looking for a progression.

Though most of these etudes are relatively short, they do progress to a higher degree of difficulty with an increased required range and etudes written in all the different key signatures.

These etudes will challenge both the developing student along with seasoned professionals!

As we return to regular work weeks here in San Diego, and I need to re-familiarize with all of my trumpets, I made the decision to record all of these Chumov etudes on my Weimann Brass “Passion” Rotary C trumpet.

If you are interested, this book can be purchased here: https://qpress.ca/product/24-etudes-for-trumpet-chumov/

Thank you for taking the time to listen!

- Chris

Recorded without edits in my StudioBricks XXL booth while sheltering in place in San Diego, CA during the Covid-19 pandemic in May 2021
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/gCyX6YxEFsg

VERROUST Etude #5 from 24 Etudes Mélodiques by S. Verroust.

These etudes may be unfamiliar to many trumpet players - and rightly so! These were originally written for the Oboe, but I think they work quite well on the trumpet.

If you have any questions about the etudes or the equipment I'm using, please feel free to ask!

Thank you for taking a listen and following along!

-Chris

Recorded in my StudioBricks XXL booth while sheltering in place in San Diego, CA during the Covid-19 pandemic in February 2021
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/UaRZk443C94

“Sanyan Saturdays” - Balasanyan Saturdays, that is - continue with Etude #24 by S. Balasanyan from 25 Melodic Etudes

If you’re familiar with the Wurm 45 Easy Studies and wonder where to turn next - before moving on to much longer Boehme or Brandt Etudes - these Balasanyan 25 Melodic Etudes may be the right choice for you.

Longer than the Wurm 45 Easy Studies, but without the range needed for Boehme or Brandt etudes, these 25 Melodic Etudes by S. Balasanyan could be an invaluable tool for the progressing student (or even professional) looking to focus on just a couple of aspects of their playing - without the inherent complications of longer etudes to worry about.

These may be available for free online, but if you cannot find them free, you can purchase these here: https://qpress.ca/product/25-melodic-etudes-balasanyan/

I recorded all 25 Melodic Etudes - without edits - between March 12-16, 2021. I hope you enjoy this Balasanyan series as much as I enjoyed recording these previously unknown to me etudes!

Recorded without edits in my StudioBricks XXL booth while sheltering in place in San Diego, CA during the pandemic in March 2021.
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically Buzzed wrote:

- Chris

I thought that Brahms didn't like the valved trumpet and only wrote for natural trumpet? Were these etudes actually originally written for trumpet?
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heim wrote:
Basically Buzzed wrote:

- Chris

I thought that Brahms didn't like the valved trumpet and only wrote for natural trumpet? Were these etudes actually originally written for trumpet?

There is some controversy as to whether these etudes were actually written by Brahms.
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/COCH0ul_rB8

“CHUMOV CHUESDAYS” continue with Etude #9 from 24 Etudes for Trumpet by Leonid Chumov

If you’ve been following along for the past few months, you will know that I’ve recorded the Wurm 45 Easy Studies and the Balasanyan 25 Melodic Etudes. These Chumov 24 Etudes would be a next logical step if one we’re looking for a progression.

Though most of these etudes are relatively short, they do progress to a higher degree of difficulty with an increased required range and etudes written in all the different key signatures.

These etudes will challenge both the developing student along with seasoned professionals!

As we return to regular work weeks here in San Diego, and I need to re-familiarize with all of my trumpets, I made the decision to record all of these Chumov etudes on my Weimann Brass “Passion” Rotary C trumpet.

If you are interested, this book can be purchased here: https://qpress.ca/product/24-etudes-for-trumpet-chumov/

- Chris

Recorded without edits in my StudioBricks XXL booth while sheltering in place in San Diego, CA during the Covid-19 pandemic in May 2021
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you're playing on a Yamaha LA model Bb. Surprised to see you on that rather than a Chicago or New York artist model.

Sounds great but am curious what it was about the LA that you liked?
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
I see you're playing on a Yamaha LA model Bb. Surprised to see you on that rather than a Chicago or New York artist model.

Sounds great but am curious what it was about the LA that you liked?

Thank you for the question. I rarely play Bb trumpet in the orchestra - with the exception of pops concerts. Since 2000, I had played on a Yamaha Xeno Bb and found that to be a fantastic orchestral and easy pops horn - an all around Bb trumpet. When I won the job here in San Diego, I quickly realized the serious pops load here was something that that heavier Xeno wasn’t going to allow me to play with maximum efficiency. Obviously, I could pass many parts off to an assistant, but, as I have a background in playing lead in jazz bands and horn sections, I rather enjoy continuing to explore the pops/jazz/commercial aspect of trumpet playing with the orchestra.

I spent a day at the Yamaha Atelier in Los Angeles play testing all of their Bb trumpets. Without fail, the LA was the best horn I played. So much so that I sold my Xeno to a student and the LA is the only Bb I own now.

Contrary to what some may believe - that this is a high note horn only - my experience with this LA Bb is that it has an extremely rich sound throughout the registers BUT can turn on a dime and really sizzle without the need to push on the trumpet. In addition - when playing above high C - the notes feel like they have larger slots, and thus feel easier to get into. On a side note - my experience with the B Shew Bb was that the notes above high C felt quite narrow and I felt like I was trying to thread a needle to play F’s and G’s.

Nonetheless - I love the richness of sound, the breadth of sound and the ease of the high register on this LA Bb. For me - it makes for an excellent all-around Bb trumpet.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts, Chris.
I'll have to try one when I am able, sounds like a great instrument.

The other thing I've found interesting (aside from the great playing and musicality etc) is your choice of mouthpieces. Not so much that you're playing a Wedge, but the cups tend to be on the medium side and the backbores on the medium to small side of things.

I find most mouthpieces I try on C trumpet go flat above the Bb above the staff unless I'm using either a large backbore or unless the cup is a fair bit shallower than what I use on Bb. Which makes me sound a bit too bright usually. There's probably a compromise there somewhere but I haven't been able to it yet. But I see you're making a smallish mouthpieces work very well on C trumpet and getting an energised sound without it being too bright or harsh.
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts, Chris.
I'll have to try one when I am able, sounds like a great instrument.

The other thing I've found interesting (aside from the great playing and musicality etc) is your choice of mouthpieces. Not so much that you're playing a Wedge, but the cups tend to be on the medium side and the backbores on the medium to small side of things.

I find most mouthpieces I try on C trumpet go flat above the Bb above the staff unless I'm using either a large backbore or unless the cup is a fair bit shallower than what I use on Bb. Which makes me sound a bit too bright usually. There's probably a compromise there somewhere but I haven't been able to it yet. But I see you're making a smallish mouthpieces work very well on C trumpet and getting an energised sound without it being too bright or harsh.

Something to keep in mind - these are marked XS, S, SV, M, DM, MV, and D for MY purposes not necessarily what would correspond to a standard M cup - if there is such a thing.

One thing I will share - after playing for 8 years in “The President’s Own” U.S. Marine Band - I got quite used to playing a slightly deeper cup on the cornet. That eventually translated to a deeper cup but narrower rim on the trumpet. Narrower rim - for me - gives me greater endurance and stamina and the slightly deeper cup allows for a bit of swelling that occurs when playing at maximal volumes.

These Wedges were initially based on the Stork Mpcs I was playing on - along with a Yamaha Hagstrom mpc I played on for years. The recent iterations are solely what Dave Harrison and I have worked on.
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/MgDXv-DP_Rg

Etude #24 by Oskar Boehme from 24 Melodic Studies in All Tonalities Opus 20.

Another Classic Boehme Etude today.

This etude is marked "Valse Lentemente". The question I have is - is it a slow waltz in 1 or a slow waltz in 3?

I've taken the liberty to record this etude two times. In the first recording - I attempt for a slow 3 with maybe more of a 6/8 feel. In the second recording - I attempt for more of a slow 1 waltz feel.

I believe an argument could be made for either one.

What do YOU think?

Thank you for taking the time to listen and comment!

- Chris
Recorded without edits in my StudioBricks XXL home studio while sheltering in place in San Diego, CA during the COVID-19 Pandemic in April 2021
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/NneN9ofUcuU

“Sanyan Saturdays” - Balasanyan Saturdays, that is - have come to the END with Etude #25 by S. Balasanyan from 25 Melodic Etudes

Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/qeXIQ3wqDjw

“CHUMOV CHUESDAYS” continue with Etude #12 from 24 Etudes for Trumpet by Leonid Chumov

If you’ve been following along for the past few months, you will know that I’ve recorded the Wurm 45 Easy Studies and the Balasanyan 25 Melodic Etudes. These Chumov 24 Etudes would be a next logical step if one were looking for a progression.

Though most of these etudes are relatively short, they do progress to a higher degree of difficulty with an increased required range and with etudes written in all the different key signatures.

- Chris

Recorded without edits in my StudioBricks XXL booth in San Diego, CA
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I miss this!? Very very nice - these are fantastic educational tools, and it's awesome that you put them up for there for everyone to see for free.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
How did I miss this!? Very very nice - these are fantastic educational tools, and it's awesome that you put them up for there for everyone to see for free.

Thank you, Patrick. I appreciate you following along and taking the time to listen.
Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/x9fXE5UNsm0

CHUMOV Etude #13 from 24 Etudes for Trumpet

“CHUMOV CHUESDAYS” continue with Etude #13 from 24 Etudes for Trumpet by Leonid Chumov

If you’ve been following along for the past few months, you will know that I’ve recorded the Wurm 45 Easy Studies and the Balasanyan 25 Melodic Etudes. These Chumov 24 Etudes would be a next logical step if one were looking for a progression.

Though most of these etudes are relatively short, they do progress to a higher degree of difficulty with an increased required range and with etudes written in all the different key signatures.

- Chris

Basically Buzzed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/57BxiribSeU

“CHUMOV CHUESDAYS” continue with Etude #14 from 24 Etudes for Trumpet by Leonid Chumov

As we return to regular work weeks here in San Diego, and I need to re-familiarize with all of my trumpets, I made the decision to record all of these Chumov etudes on my @Weimann Brass “Passion” Rotary C trumpet.

- Chris

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: