• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New teeth

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daffodil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you
Daffodil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

it's quite a few months later. I can report that I am terrible! Worse than ever, and I have a concert coming up in a few days which the other trumpet player I hide behind can't attend!

I bought an expand-a-lung, can't say I've noticed a difference.

I tried the Roy Stevens method, I gave it a good go but didn't get anywhere, in fact it made it worse as now I keep getting an air pocket under my top lip that stops me playing anything sustained with a nice tone much above an E at times (I used to be fine up to top C).

Some of my lip seems to not vibrate at all.

I've tried all the usual stuff like long notes, lip slurs.

any other tips, please?

thanks
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daffodil wrote:
Hi everyone,

it's quite a few months later. I can report that I am terrible! Worse than ever, and I have a concert coming up in a few days which the other trumpet player I hide behind can't attend!

I bought an expand-a-lung, can't say I've noticed a difference.

I tried the Roy Stevens method, I gave it a good go but didn't get anywhere, in fact it made it worse as now I keep getting an air pocket under my top lip that stops me playing anything sustained with a nice tone much above an E at times (I used to be fine up to top C).

Some of my lip seems to not vibrate at all.

I've tried all the usual stuff like long notes, lip slurs.

any other tips, please?

thanks

I read an article about teeth and trumpet playing once that talked about how for cosmetic reasons, Jon Faddis had his front teeth fixed. He lost over an octave of range - when you're known as a high-note artist, that's kind of important. He was at the dentist's office the next day when they opened and he got his teeth restored to what they were.

I know another guy who had gotten a big chip out of one of his front teeth when he was a young teen, and that's how he learned to play. When he was in the Army, an Army dentist "fixed" that tooth for him. He lost about a half-octave of range. Prior to that he had a solid 4th ledger G at will and it knocked him back to C/D.

You may wind up having to see if you can get your two front teeth restored to what they were - gaps and all.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Daffodil,
What a frustrating situation to be in! I have heard it said that having a high spot on which to place the embouchure is really helpful for trumpet embouchure...so if you don't have one now, that could be part of the problem. IDK if any change can be made to give you a high spot or if you could place differently to find one.

It could be that you need a different embouchure now than you had before. Your placement or pivot could need to be different.

Just something to consider. A few sessions with a chop doc could be helpful.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
Daffodil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I'll keep trying!
PlayLITE plastic trumpet
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned that your implants had no spaces between teeth (?). I had a new replacement implant supported upper denture installed about 6 years ago because the one of 4 implants detached. I was about 2 years into trying to play again and making a lot of progress. About 2 years of trying everything with the new plate and little progress but little improvement, I pulled out the old denture and took it back to the dentist for a comparison to the original mold. Everything was perfect except for a 1/16 to 1/32? Space between first 2 teeth (front) so we sent them to the dental shop to duplicate the space. Problem immediately solved immediate improvement in every way. That simple change ( + what I’d learned in meantime) got me back on a positive track.?

Check it out with your dentist, but I feel it’s important to match your previous spacing .

Rod
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
You mentioned that your implants had no spaces between teeth (?). I had a new replacement implant supported upper denture installed about 6 years ago because the one of 4 implants detached. I was about 2 years into trying to play again and making a lot of progress. About 2 years of trying everything with the new plate and little progress but little improvement, I pulled out the old denture and took it back to the dentist for a comparison to the original mold. Everything was perfect except for a 1/16 to 1/32? Space between first 2 teeth (front) so we sent them to the dental shop to duplicate the space. Problem immediately solved immediate improvement in every way. That simple change ( + what I’d learned in meantime) got me back on a positive track.?

Check it out with your dentist, but I feel it’s important to match your previous spacing.

Rod

My teacher asserted that the embrasures (space between teeth) can be a big deal for trumpet players. He specifically warned me about any dental appliance that closed those gaps. That's partly why I got an implant on a missing top front tooth instead of a bridge.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: