• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Edwards X-13

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dkjcliff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. So did the study hypothesize on what basis the musicians distinguished between light and standard bells? Not based on a thin/tinny sound but some other characteristic?

Edit: I think you were saying that musicians playing the horns could tell the difference. So maybe it was based on response and feel more than sound.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the audience and acoustic measuring devices (basically microphones) there was no difference. The players, however, could pick out the light weight bells in a blindfolded test. The study was trying to determine if light weight bells changed the sound of an instrument. In a similar study done by Richard Smith, players (and listeners) could not identify a copper vs. brass bell when blindfolded, but when they were able to see the instruments, they all preferred the copper bell and said it had a warmer and richer tone, likely due to their own perceptions about "premium" materials.
Dkjcliff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone knows of a dealer in the San Diego/Orange County area that carries the X13, please let me know.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dkjcliff wrote:
I’m really intrigued by the X13. I love innovative designs and I play a Getzen Genesis that I think is phenomenal. The Genesis derives from an Edwards design, as I understand it. But in some recordings of the X13 I’ve heard, it sounds a little thin and tinny to my ears. The Paul Tynan album sounds this way to me, though I love his playing. I’m wondering if it’s due to use of thin gauge brass to make the horn light weight. I would be interested in hearing others’ thoughts on this. If I could find one in my area I would just try it and find out for myself, but sadly I can’t seem to find a store within reasonable driving distance that has one.
It is definitely a warm and round sounding trumpet. The Paul Tynan album is a little tricky to assess because he plays so much flugelhorn on it, the trumpet kind of comes across smaller. The album mix isn't very lively. I don't think there's any really good recordings of the X-13.
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the Paul Tynan album since i don't have it, but he X-13 to my ears (and to the ears of my fellow players) is not "thin" at all, instead the horn has a big "fat" sound like a much heavier trumpet. The tone is on the dark/warm side but if pushed can cut too,
As others have stated a thin sound on this trumpet can depend from the mouthpiece or the mic. With my stock Curry 5C the X-13 is a beast and if pushed can be easily heard through the whole band. With my lead piece (Curry 5Z) the horn can shine but i have some intonation issues while on the 5C intonation is spot on.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
irememberchet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: X-13 Reply with quote

I previously owned an Edwards X-13 loved it, and foolishly sold it.

It was one of the very few horns I have ever sold that I really regretted having sold.

But I have come full circle, and ordered a brand new X-13 in silver plate through my friends at Austin Custom Brass. I have had my new X-13 now for a few weeks, and it is an incredible horn - every bit as good as I remember my original being.

The mouthpiece setup you choose to use will have a huge effect on your sound, but the X-13 is fully capable of producing any type of sound you choose. The Edwards (Getzen) valve set is spectacular, and carries a LIFETIME GUARANTEE. The sound is as rich and as full bodied as that of any horn I have ever played (and I have played and owned some GREAT horns), and the overtones that the X-13 produces are magnificent.

The thing that really stands out to me about the X-13 is the way the horn RESONATES, due in part to its light weight, and its lack of heavy bracing.

The X-13, in my humble opinion, is as fine a trumpet as one can buy in today's marketplace.
1940 Martin Handcraft Committee #3 Large Bore
Yamaha 8335 LA II Bergeron Custom
Yamaha 8340 EM Eric Miyashiro
Schilke Handcraft HC1
Taylor Phatboy Flugelhorn
ironrabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate knowing that Locutus2k uses the Curry 5C mouthpiece on their Edwards X-13 trumpet and that this combination has good intonation.

I read Trent Austin's comment under his magnificent video of It Never Entered My Mind, in which he uses the ACB 3C.

Would anybody else care to chime in which mouthpiece works for them on this horn?
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion the X-13 works best with standard/medium to deep cup pieces. You can use lead or semi-lead pieces, too, but i think they kill the extraordinary resonance of the horn.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We love the X13 and just can't keep them in stock... I am going to try and order a few more to attempt to keep one in the KC shop for folks to try but they are so good they sell quickly.

Here's that video someone mentioned I love this horn and probably would play an X-13 if I didn't already have some fabulous instruments in the stable. I still might buy one for my collection if I can sell a few others in the collection!

Link

Cheers,
T

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
LowNoteSavant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once owned an Edwards horn. I miss it a lot. My playing is not to the level to deserve such a nice horn. You will not regret having any of these instruments. Mine was not the X model, but the one with the modular bell/pipes etc.

I'd not hesitate to get the Edwards as long as you have no intention of selling it. If your going to go with that budget there is also Harrelson trumpets but of course a long wait time. Good luck.
ironrabbit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trent, if you don't mind me asking, during your recording of It Never Entered My Mind, what mic and effects unit were you using?
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironrabbit wrote:
Trent, if you don't mind me asking, during your recording of It Never Entered My Mind, what mic and effects unit were you using?

I used a Barkley Infinity Microphone (made by a fellow TH member Michael Barkley who IMHO is making the best microphones in the world) ran the sound through Logic with some sweet reverb

Best,
T

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just traded a AdamA4 in on an X13 after playing it. I think the X13 is an amazing horn balanced light, yet stable and sound like a heavy horn. The sound is beautiful and it blows easy.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I wanted to note I've seen a bunch of X13 players including myself using the nickel silver pillar screwed in from the bell side.
ironrabbit

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Improver. I'm gonna try that.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. I love playing the 5b with it, the sound, but I've gone to the 7c it's a better blow.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus the silver X13 does play brighter. I had one before I went back to get the satin one. The Silver is like no silver I've seen its beautiful. The one I had played incerdible. Its more lively than the satin.
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know if any of you follow our social media, but we’ve recently released an Edwards single trumpet case designed specifically for the X-13 (although it should fit any trumpet/cornet).

https://store.edwards-instruments.com/product/single-trumpet-case

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice case Brett beautiful
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don’t know if any of you follow our social media, but we’ve recently released an Edwards single trumpet case designed specifically for the X-13 (although it should fit any trumpet/cornet).

This is a terrific case. Very well constructed. Looks great and seems to be quite protective: Not "checked bag" protective, but fine for any sort of normal use.

My Getzen, Bach and Schilke Bb and C trumpets each fit into it well, so while it might have been designed with the X-13 in mind, it works fine for other horns. Note that I don't have a horn with a bell larger than 5" so can't comment on how a big bell horn might fit.

There is a piece of hard foam that curves around the bell bow. It is a nice innovation -- haven't seen that in another case -- which really minimizes movement within the case.

I'm really impressed. Kudos to Getzen/Edwards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: