• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Any thoughts on the new Beast trumpet book series?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
llypps

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Any thoughts on the new Beast trumpet book series? Reply with quote

Please forgive me clamming my own horn, but in an effort to get some word-of-mouth going, I wish to announce I just wrote a four book series of trumpet exercises and was curious if anyone here has checked them out yet? If so, I'd really be interested in your thoughts. The books are published by qPress and are called:

Taming the Beast! - Set-Up Exercises for Today's Classical or Commercial Trumpeter
Grooming the Beast! - Technical & Harmonic Studies for Today's Classical or Commercial Trumpeter
Provoking the Beast! - Flexibility & Strength Studies for Today's Classical or Commercial Trumpeter
Release the Beast! - Upper Register Studies for Today's Classical or Commercial Trumpeter

If you haven't seen them, look, I'd rather just let the books and you players do the talking, but I need to give you some idea of content. Suffice to say, these are not your father's trumpet books, and they're not my father's either - he was an accountant. Due to years in a career of high-leverage performing situations and an obsession for versatility, I've written, honed, and tweaked many custom exercises for myself. The pandemic supplied the time to write them and organize them into these books. They are filled with these cutting-edge and versatility-friendly type of exercises that have been so vital to my development. For instance, chord symbols are added to most of the trumpet skills exercises to additionally provide better insight to chord-scale relationships and interval recognition.

I also wrote these books to be fun, irreverent, and snarky, because, let's face it, reading the text in the Arban's book is a snooze-fest. Okay, enough hoo-haw and hype. Hopefully, I've peaked your interest enough. They're found at the four links below, in case you wish to get crackin'. Not literally. Thanks for your time!

Book 1: Taming the Beast!

Book 2: Grooming the Beast!

Book 3: Provoking the Beast!

Book 4: Release the Beast!
SE Shires Trumpet Artist

Last edited by llypps on Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all four books. So far I have just sampled from them, but am impressed with the quality of the exercises and useful explanations. Fresh, thoughtful material like this helps the daily routine from becoming too...routine.

Edit: It is smart to include so many sample pages on qPress. It made it easy to get a feel for each of the books before I purchased them.
llypps

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dayton. I hope you find them helpful. There's a lot of material in there, so I often just pick a few from each book. However, lately, since so many exercises cover every key, I have been picking a key or two per practice session so I can hit most all of the exercises.
SE Shires Trumpet Artist
RobertCharlton

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! Tell me, what skill level students can use books for effective learning? I am now writing a small paper about different ways of learning to play musical instruments and I would like to make mhra citation of these books or one of them. Fortunately, for this purpose, I have https://uk.edubirdie.com/mhra-citation-generator/ because doing it yourself would take a very long time. But, for this I would like to know, would you advise these books for beginners to familiarize themselves with?

Last edited by RobertCharlton on Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hey! Tell me, what skill level students can use books for effective learning?

They are geared for the intermediate to advanced level player. I'd say after someone makes their first pass through Arban they'd find these books to be an excellent continuation of skills development.
Jason Rogers
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Beast Books Reply with quote

Bought all of them----going to try them for a while----will get back to you.
Schilke
Getzen
llypps

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Quote:

Hey! Tell me, what skill level students can use books for effective learning?

They are geared for the intermediate to advanced level player. I'd say after someone makes their first pass through Arban they'd find these books to be an excellent continuation of skills development.

Hi Robert and Dayton.

Please forgive the enormous delay. I guess you can tell I'm not a regular. Robert is partially correct. There is plenty of very challenging material in the Beast book series, and really not much material for the ABSOLUTE beginner.

That being said, plenty is there for students who have progressed far enough through the beginner stage to be able to read notes and keys and to reach notes up through just above the top of the staff. That is especially true for Book One, Taming the Beast, since it focuses on warming up and setting up your chops properly. Many portions of Books Two thru Four (technical/harmonic studies, flexibility/power, and upper register) are also adaptable for students with range limitations, because these books weren't designed to play everything cover to cover. It's also not necessary to play from beginning to the end of each exercise. Think of these books as a trumpeter's version of a Vegas buffet - there's tons of stuff here to sink your teeth into, but don't put too much on your plate. They aim to inspire to aspire. Get what you can and pick something to master by next week/month/year.

Don't just take my word for it, qPress.ca makes it easy to see what's in each book because of their liberal page previews:
https://qpress.ca/product/the-beast-series/

Thanks,
Matt Fronke
SE Shires Trumpet Artist
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: