• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Superfine Cases - wow.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Superfine Cases - wow. Reply with quote

I just received a Superfine flugelhorn case and thought I'd share my impressions if it helps anyone.

I should note that after living in Germany for twenty years, by comparison, American language in reviews and advertisements seem hyperbolic and over the top. "Homey don't play dat!" To wit . .

This case/gig bag is stunning. It's beautiful; attractive, well made, light, compact and reasonably padded. I would not travel with it as check-in baggage but as a day-tripper it's great.

The folks at Superfine offer the case in Cordura or Leather. It is also cloth lined in the interior. There are a variety of colours available both interior and exterior, as well as the placement of the handles. In other words, it's not a cookie cutter one-design -fits-all design. The buyer has some choices of some customizing.

I have a very nice Gard/Adams soft case, also. Many pockets, big padding, everything good you could have in a bag but . . it's quite bulky and, if all features are used, considerably heavier than the Superfine.

It's just the context of what you need. I need something that is compact and light as possible. My sensibilities want it to be aesthetically pleasing, when possible. And. of course, it should be well made. superfine cases fill all that.

https://superfinecases.com/

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically it's a Reunion Blues by another name. That's what they look like anyway.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree; I have a Superfine black leather single trumpet bag.
Very well made, protective (it IS a gig bag, not a hard shell case).

And the customer service and communication during the ordering process waa excellent.

Brad
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
So basically it's a Reunion Blues by another name. That's what they look like anyway.

I would say not really. At least when we’re talking about the single trumpet, it’s a “clamshell” design, and I think the padding is more substantial and the leather seems thicker.

Brad
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty nice. Also like the whole ‘custom’ case bit…pity they’re in the US, that makes them too expensive by default thanks to customs & shipping…
bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also own one and have been traveling with it a lot. I agree with Brad-- it's much nicer than the RB.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
trickg wrote:

I would say not really. At least when we’re talking about the single trumpet, it’s a “clamshell” design, and I think the padding is more substantial and the leather seems thicker.

Brad

A different design maybe, but made in much the same way RB bags used to be made. The very first thing I thought when I saw it was that it looked like a Reunion Blues.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my guess is that is probably because they or at least one of them was making cases for Glenn Cronkhite for many years.

they look like very classy cases and i love that they added the top handle but i would rather have it on the non bell side for a hipper look

i also asked Glenn to make me all leather straps instead of the Cordura on the two custom bags that he made me
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
. . they look like very classy cases and i love that they added the top handle but i would rather have it on the non bell side for a hipper look

Ron, if I'm not mistaking, they will place the handle where you want it.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

Ron, if I'm not mistaking, they will place the handle where you want it.

that would be cool if that is possible.

thanks for the heads up
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow -- didn't know about these, thanks for the great review. I'm considering something lighter than my MB double for local schlepping and was considering a Gard Elite. Will put these on the list as well.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
trickg wrote:

Brad

A different design maybe, but made in much the same way RB bags used to be made. The very first thing I thought when I saw it was that it looked like a Reunion Blues.

Regarding quality, I agree. As someone mentioned, I’m pretty sure at least one of these guys worked with Cronkhite, who of course was also with Reunion Blues, so, yeah.
I have a newer Cronkhite leather single, a Superfine leather single and a Reunion Blues leather flugel that’s around 20 years old. I think the Superfine is probably on top regarding construction, and they are very accommodating and easy to deal with.
The only downside, and this is just me, is there is not zipper pocket for a mouthpiece, oil, etc. It does however come with a very well padded sheepskin type zipper pouch that holds quite a lot, so the no zipper pocket is not a big deal.

Brad
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from the pics, the single trumpet bag looks to be about 50% bigger than a Cronkhite bag...
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically their trumpet case is their take on Glenn's rotary trumpet cases of which i have two and LOVE!

they were more boxy and much shorter but really cool
i had Glenn make my second one just about an inch longer
than the normal size
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it looks like they may have some in stock, I had to wait a couple weeks for mine. Not a big deal, but sooner is better, at least for impatient people like myself.

https://reverb.com/item/44712314-superfine-single-trumpet-gig-bag-in-leather-black?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=44712314

Brad
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetera wrote:
Judging from the pics, the single trumpet bag looks to be about 50% bigger than a Cronkhite bag...

I would say not really. Definitely SHORTER than the Cronkhite (I have both), but yes, thicker and wider. Probably bigger overall, but not by 50%. They’re also stiffer, which I think is great, probably makes them somewhat more horn-protective. Comparing build quality to the Cronkhite, I think they would win….which is not a slight towards the Cronkhite.

Brad
herpderp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
And it looks like they may have some in stock, I had to wait a couple weeks for mine. Not a big deal, but sooner is better, at least for impatient people like myself.

https://reverb.com/item/44712314-superfine-single-trumpet-gig-bag-in-leather-black?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=44712314

Brad

I needed a case, and recently purchased a Superfine via Reverb. This Superfine is miles ahead of the Gard Elite case I had. I had both in my hands and it wasn't even a comparison in terms of materials and build quality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: