• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry Z Cups

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Curry Z Cups Reply with quote

Just pounced on a low price for a 1.25 Z Curry. I was looking for a 30M or S actually but this one was advertised as the same effect, helping with the high notes, at a sale price. I was wondering if anyone has really gained a lot of experience with these smaller Curry's ? Any preferences or quirks etc ?
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a 3Z, but it was too shallow and bright for my purposes, and I sold it.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have deleted this as it's been reasonably well covered by another post, 5 years ago. I do love the Curry's , at least my 30 C and 30 M cornet pieces are really nice for me. I was going to cross back over to a Bach 10 1/2 EW in the search for shallow and comfortable rim but thought I'd try the Z first.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Curry mouthpieces, too. I have 5 of them - a 3B., a 3C., a 3M., and two for cornet - a 3BBC. and a custom 3C.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bottomed out the Z. Love the M.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
I bottomed out the Z. Love the M.
I hear the term 'bottom out' but want to make sure i understand that. Is that the lips touching the bottom of the cup ?
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry put a drawing of overlapping lines on his website showing cross-sectional profiles, but z wasn't one of them and the lines weren't labelled, so I don't think they are very insightful. Great idea, but not so good on execution.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my lips flapped on the cup, more than once. Maybe I could have worked on it more, but I did not. The M. cups are great for me from low F# to my top D/Eb/(E on a good day).
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curry 5Z is one of the few "lead" pieces i can play on. It is wrong to call them "Z cups", the Z pieces are a combination of cup (that is not shallow at all, more in the M ballpark), throat (smaller - i think is a 28 - than the other pieces in the line) and EXPECIALLY backbore that is uinque to the Z series and really gives you the "compression" needed to speed up the air and play the high parts with satisfaction and less effort.
I strongly reccomend the Curry Z line for bright, aggressive or lead work but check them in the various rim combinations, the results and sound change from rim to rim.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Z in today and I started another thread regarding my suspicions that this might be some sort of knockoff. It's in the ballpark of a 7C when I put one with it and certainly wildly deeper than a 30 M or 30 C. Didn't do anything really striking with my upper range. maybe a semitone. Sloppy engraving too.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update, Mark Curry quite generously intervened. Going by photos I took, he has determined that someone has hacked out a new bore with step drills , so anything I observe and report is irrelevant. In fact he invited me to ship it to him in case it happens to be some enterprising fraudster. I'll be sure to update if that is his finding. Pity, I thought perhaps this Z. was worth exploring, but I shall head for the safer harbor of my beloved 30M. I'm sure they will work as well on my trumpet as they have on my cornets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: