• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Edwards X-13

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real trick with designing that case was finding a shape that could work for a more traditional Bb trumpet like the X-17, the more out there wrap of the X-13, and a cornet like the X-7 (if we were making them). I wanted one case versatile enough to work for any of the three. Hence the moveable pads, etc....

It isn't the smallest or the lightest or the most protective case on the market, but I think it does a good job being pretty good at all three of those benchmarks.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wanted one case versatile enough to work for any of the three. Hence the moveable pads, etc....

I hadn't thought to try my cornet, but it fits fine as well. The movable pads ensure a good fit; better than in a traditional case. So, no problem with Bb and C trumpets or Bb cornet....

Quote:
It isn't the smallest or the lightest or the most protective case on the market, but I think it does a good job being pretty good at all three of those benchmarks

It is all about compromises. I think you've found a good balance between excellent protection short of checked baggage, attractiveness, weight and storage.
rickoak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new X-13 arrived a week ago. As an amateur comeback player this is a real splurge horn for me and I know I can’t take full advantage of it yet, but I am really enjoying it.

My main horn has been a 1980 L.A. Benge 3X+ that I purchased around 2000.

The first thing I noticed was the feel of holding it. The balance is excellent and the wide wrap gives more space for the left hand. It is already a light horn but the balance makes it feel even lighter. I thought it must be as light as my Benge, but it is just slightly heavier by about 3 ounces.

The resistance feels very similar to the Benge so it felt very natural from the start, but it seems to do everything a bit better/easier. It has a nice fat and rich sound. It slots better but feels just as responsive. It has not improved the limit of my range but up to around high C it feels more secure and with better tone. The articulation feels better and I’m seeing some improvement in my double and triple tonguing, and along with the slightly faster valves, fast passages, such as chromatic scales, are little cleaner. I’ve also noticed a big improvement when doing larger slurred intervals.

It also seems to be more mouthpiece sensitive. I have four Curry mouthpieces: 3M., 3C., 3TC. and 3TF. I’ve only played very briefly with the harmonic pillars but when I have more time with the horn I think by combining different mouthpieces without the pillars and with the two pillars I’m going to be able to get quite a range of sounds.

Rick
ironrabbit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping Dayton and others can chime in. I love my X-13, no question. Lately I've been interested in getting a C trumpet. Anybody know of a C trumpet that blows with the same ease as a Bb X-13? Thanks in advance.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ironrabbit wrote:
I'm hoping Dayton and others can chime in. I love my X-13, no question. Lately I've been interested in getting a C trumpet. Anybody know of a C trumpet that blows with the same ease as a Bb X-13? Thanks in advance.
Bill Pfund makes really nice C trumpets that I think you would enjoy. I played a colleague's years ago, and the "blow" was very different from my Bach 229. It felt more like a B flat to me, and was easy to play. billpfund.com
ironrabbit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Jaw04.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The blow on Bb and C is so different that I don't think I can offer a good answer. I can say that during the time I was playing my X-13 I was playing a Bach 229 Chicago model C trumpet and a Shires 4F model C trumpet. No issues moving between those horns and the X-13.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ironrabbit: if you were in Europe, I would suggest: https://www.martin-schmidt-potsdam.de/instrumentenbau/ (yes, I know I sound like a broken record, but these horns are awesome).

In the US, I would think about: https://de-de.facebook.com/pages/category/Product-Service/Del-Quadro-Custom-Trumpets-188607601169514/

I never played a Del Quadro C but if they are anything like his Bb‘s they must be tremendous horns.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
ironrabbit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dayton. Thanks Brassnose.
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Edwards X 13 Reply with quote

Would this horn work in a big band section or is it a small group horn. Would it cut and blend without a mic?
ironrabbit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Would this horn work in a big band section or is it a small group horn"

Yes it works in a big band, for me.

I also use it as a small group horn, with a different mouthpiece.

Hope this is helpful.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It (X-13) works for me in both large and small ensembles. One of the easiest playing instruments I've ever played. Broken record, I know, still true for me.
https://yourbrass.com/
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you’re curious about the X-13, there was a raw brass one listed in the marketplace recently at a very fair price.

I owned one for about 6 months and enjoyed it. Very lightweight horn with a big sound.
ironrabbit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with both of these.

Yourbrass: “One of the easiest playing instruments I’ve ever played.”

Ericmpena: “Very lightweight horn with a big sound.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: