• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Estaban Battalan on Mahler 5.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Estaban Battalan on Mahler 5. Reply with quote

This is the new CSO principal who after the pandemic finally gets a chance to shine. It took big shoes to take Chris Martin's place! He has those shoes.
He is also a truly humble and polite man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifxCyMfkdmM&list=RDifxCyMfkdmM&start_radio=1
R. Tomasek
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that and he sounds great!
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He (Estaban Batallán) shared this on his Instagram and Facebook pages:

https://soundcloud.com/hkphilharomic/mahler-symphony-no-7

He sounds enormous in this! Every trumpet entrance practically sounds like a trumpet concerto.

(Actually, I don't know if we're allowed to say this here on TH, where louder trumpet is seemingly always better trumpet, but while I think it's sensational playing, I think the trumpet's actually too loud in the mix a lot of time, but that's on the guy with the stick and/or the recording engineers.)
Adam West
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
He (Estaban Batallán) shared this on his Instagram and Facebook pages:

https://soundcloud.com/hkphilharomic/mahler-symphony-no-7

He sounds enormous in this! Every trumpet entrance practically sounds like a trumpet concerto.

(Actually, I don't know if we're allowed to say this here on TH, where louder trumpet is seemingly always better trumpet, but while I think it's sensational playing, I think the trumpet's actually too loud in the mix a lot of time, but that's on the guy with the stick and/or the recording engineers.)

More likely, that's just a person playing way way too loud. There are sections where the trumpet sounds fine, but then others where it's out of balance. There is no way the engineer was doing that. I guess put me in the camp of meh on this. If looking for a loud, but delightful performance of this, Michael Sachs did one with Cleveland that's just sublime.
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m going to have to disagree. If the conductor or recording engineer did not want to hear this much first trumpet, it would not have been difficult to change that. Engineers can make us virtually inaudible if they choose to do so. Likewise, if Jaap wasn’t into it, he’d have thrown a blanket over it.
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember hearing a CSO broadcast of a concert at Ravinia with Brandenburg 2. Herseth sounded GREAT (as usual) but to me he totally failed to be part of the 4 member solo group. It sounded mostly like a trumpet concerto with no balance on the lines that passed from one solo instrument to the next.

I never thought it was Herseth's fault. Did the conductor want a trumpet concerto? Did the sound engineer want a trumpet concerto?
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esteban is a true phenom, I think of him as the “new Herseth,” and he has absolute respect and reverence for Bud.

On the BB2 topic, have any of you heard a recording or performance where the trumpet player ever actually managed to be part of the ensemble instead of the dominant voice? I’ve listened to dozens of recordings from every era, on modern and Baroque instruments (including probably every BB2 recording available on YouTube), even Jens’s newest wonderful recording, but I don’t know that I’ve ever heard that goal achieved in reality. The most balanced BB2 I’ve ever heard is this one, crazily I actually like this non-trumpet version better than any trumpet recording I’ve ever heard, argh!

https://youtu.be/1kCxF2kJev4

https://youtu.be/FnrzKRUGU-s
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:
I’m going to have to disagree. If the conductor or recording engineer did not want to hear this much first trumpet, it would not have been difficult to change that. Engineers can make us virtually inaudible if they choose to do so. Likewise, if Jaap wasn’t into it, he’d have thrown a blanket over it.

Yep, the recording balance has all the trumpets turned way up. Just listen to the fanfares in the final movement.

Why this particular recording is so unbalanced can only be the subject of conjecture… wait! That was my doctoral thesis )long abandoned), it dealing with Stravinsky. I have thoughts this, which may or may not be correct. T event, I’ll not put them out there as they are a little controversial!

😈😈😈😈😈😈😈😈😈😈

Cheers

Andy
Fuzzy Dunlop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike&ed wrote:
On the BB2 topic, have any of you heard a recording or performance where the trumpet player ever actually managed to be part of the ensemble instead of the dominant voice? I’ve listened to dozens of recordings from every era, on modern and Baroque instruments (including probably every BB2 recording available on YouTube), even Jens’s newest wonderful recording, but I don’t know that I’ve ever heard that goal achieved in reality. The most balanced BB2 I’ve ever heard is this one, crazily I actually like this non-trumpet version better than any trumpet recording I’ve ever heard, argh!

Link
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my gosh, I had seen this one but had completely forgotten about it, thank you for posting it Fuzzy, and thank you Reinhold for pulling off that superb performance! Love that C picc too!

Ok, very sorry to derail the thread from Esteban…
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess there is a range of personal tastes here as far orchestral trumpet playing. But I honestly can't see how the balance isn't perfect in the Rondo. It sounds like what you would expect from a star principal trumpet in an orchestra known for its brass. Thanks for posting this. I'm looking forward to hearing the CSO on tour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: