• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stomvi Trumpets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Arnold wrote:
Looking for validation, nope. Looking for feedback from people who have played or play Stomvi trumpets.

Sorry about that. My first thought on reading your initial post was in the validation strain. Then I saw your post count and thought differently. But forgot about that when I read and replied to Richard. Doh!

As I said earlier the is nothing wrong with discussing models and brands, indeed getting that into the site is helpful to members.
CalicchioMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Stomvi Trumpets Reply with quote

Stomvi horns are really good, I used to play several of them. Try them out if you can.

Best,

Scott
Pickett Mouthpieces
aftpt1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stomvi makes really great playing trumpets, and the Stomvi Flex mouthpieces are also awesome!
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Jon Arnold wrote:
Looking for validation, nope. Looking for feedback from people who have played or play Stomvi trumpets.

Sorry about that. My first thought on reading your initial post was in the validation strain. Then I saw your post count and thought differently. But forgot about that when I read and replied to Richard. Doh!

As I said earlier the is nothing wrong with discussing models and brands, indeed getting that into the site is helpful to members.

All good here. Looking for feedback is different than validation but I appreciate that.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aftpt1 wrote:
Stomvi makes really great playing trumpets, and the Stomvi Flex mouthpieces are also awesome!

I have several Flex mouthpieces and am using a 3DVR JR and a 3SVR VS with my VR II. So far so good.

I would love to try an S3 and their piccolos someday.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Interesting question. You think it is a great horn. If I post it is a great horn, do you feel better? What if I say it is not a great horn, do you feel bad? Is this a phenomenon of the times? Do we need validation? I'm curious why people ask this question.

Your comments are way off the mark. I wanted to know impressions of different Stomvi models from people who have actually played them.

These kind of snarky comments is why so many people have left the TH.
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned several Stomvi trumpets in the past. All very well built and beautifully finished horns, but none quite right for me. The issues I list below are MY issues, so take them with a grain of salt:

1. Stomvi Master - ML Bore - Terrific classical and concert band horn in my hands, but not great for Big Band. The modular nature of this horn (different bells, bell bows, leadpipes) lets you customize the horn for different styles, venues. I could just never get quite the right combination for Big Band playing with this horn. That's not to say it can't be done...Bijon Watson used one for some time, and he is an amazing player. I just couldn't make it work.

2. Stomvi Mambo - XL Bore - Very lightweight, and great for Big Band and higher energy playing (think about the name). Worked OK for Concert Band...just a little on the bright side for things like church.

3. Stomvi Mahler - L Bore - Great horn that worked pretty much in any situation, but I had trouble with the slotting/jump between notes above the staff. Of the Stomvi trumpets I've had, this was the one with the sound profile I like...Big and full, but not "dark," and could really light up when pushed.

4. Stomvi Forte - ML Bore - For an Intermediate horn, this was a terrific player. It fit me better than any of the others. Pretty free blowing for a ML bore.

5. Stomvi Elite - L Bore - This is the horn I liked the least. It is probably closest to the Bach Strad, and I don't like Bach Strads. Not a bad horn, but not my style.

6. Stomvi Classica - ML Bore - This was the first Stomvi I ever owned. Terrific horn...just a little too much resistance in the blow for me. If I could have gotten a slightly larger bore version of this horn, or a larger bore tuning slide, I'd probably still be playing it.

7. I demoed a VRII - Another great horn with too much resistance for me. Loved the sound.

All that said...Stomvi makes great horns. I just haven't been able to find one that really fits me. I hope to be able to try the S3 and the Titan with the two tuning slides someday.
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falado wrote:
Hi, I've been playing an original Reeves VR for over 20 years. When I retired as a USN musician years ago I had a Schilke B5. It was a great horn that I used for brass quintet, concert band and lead in the big band while I was in. After retiring I began playing in a Carolina Beach Music band, basically R&B, Motown, Blue eyed soul, etc. 1 1/2 sets and lots of back to back hard amplified playing. I began to wonder if I was working too hard an I started seeing adds for the VR in the ITG. After some research and talking with Bob I ordered one in gold plate. It turned out to do what was advertised. It's a great efficient horn.

After that band folded I was back to playing BQ, shows, and concert stuff. In the mean time I tried and played an XO 1600i, Wild Thing, Schilke S42HD, and a Lawler TL. I seemed to always go back to the VR. Yes, a couple horns had a darker maybe nicer sound, but the VR was more efficient and the sound really carried, especially for playing shows. A few years ago I sent it to KO at Stomvi USA for a PVA and check up. I asked him what could improve the horn. He suggested a VR II bell. I had the new bell put on and this has now been my main horn for 20+ years. It's a great horn.

I play a VRII regular weight, regular bell. Is your bell regular or the big bell?
I am curious know the difference in playing characteristics between the two bells.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Stomvi Trumpets Reply with quote

CalicchioMan wrote:
Stomvi horns are really good, I used to play several of them. Try them out if you can.

Best,

Scott

Which models did you have?
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the big bell. I like it because I get better feedback when playing, especially in loud amplified situations. I’ll be playing at the Peanut Festival tonight in Emporia, VA. Loud band and don’t always get much monitor. Keys and guitar are usually directly behind me. I’m have a mic, but still hard to hear. I don’t worry about that anymore. I just play and let the sound man do his thing. At least with the bigger bell I can hear it a little. I also already play pretty bright and the bigger bell help to tame that some.
Hope this helps, Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon and I have discussed this Stomvi, but I purchases a Stomvi from the American group, I think the bell describes it simply as a '27'.
Mr. Skinsies (sp?) in an email, if I recall correctly, mentioned that it was liked by lead players. I only had it for a short time, I purchased it specifically to enable a trade for a horn that I wanted. I wish I'd had the Stomvi longer now, but I was quite impressed with the quality in general.
I'm not as demanding for openness as Greg (he moves a lot of air through a horn), so I had no problems in this regard.
My question: How does the 27 compare with other models? Anyone tried a 27 that could compare it to other Stomvi models?
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
Jon and I have discussed this Stomvi, but I purchases a Stomvi from the American group, I think the bell describes it simply as a '27'.

Jonathan...Is that the Stomvi USA you reviewed on YouTube? If so, I believe that was a precursor to the Stomvi S3, which has a different leadpipe and bell than the USA model did based on what I've read.

FWIW, I found a very good deal on a demo Stomvi S3 from a retailer that I've got coming soon. I'll post my impressions here once I get an opportunity to put a few hours of time on it.
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not tried a Stomvi horn, but a friend in the trumpet section has played their four-valve trumpet for a few years and likes his very much. Sound and intonation seem fine to me. He just added the four-valve flugelhorn. I have not yet seen why the fourth valve is needed in anything he has ever played on trumpet, but I could see using it to bridge the gap between low notes and pedal tones on the flugel while soloing.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a discussion with my teacher the other day about the fourth valve. He is a jazz and commercial player and plays a lot around the city we live. His take was quite interesting in that he said he likes the fourth valve not only for lower notes but also for a lot of alternate fingerings both for speed and intonation.

This makes sense when I look at my 4v bass trumpet. Sometimes valve combinations with the fourth valve are just so much easier to play (response and actual flow of pushing the valves) and much better in tune w/o the need to use the trigger (which is an issue because I have problems with my left hand). So, a 4v trumpet may not be so bad, after all.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a used VRII a few years back, it was a bright, easy playing horn. Beyond my price point at the time, i kind of wish i'd bought it.

I also tried a Forte', sent to me by accident by WWBW. It was a good player for an intermediate horn, high quality and attractive.

Last year I bought an original VRaptor from a member here, confident in the brand. I was not disappointed, I've enjoyed the horn. The polybore design makes it feel efficient to blow. It's not a lightweight horn like the VRII, but it's still brighter than say, a Bach 37.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone.
scatanas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a Stomvi Elite for several years and my buddy had the Stomvi Mambo (the titanium one). Up to this day we both regret selling them when we did. (We both got Monettes). Stomvi had a Solid sound and they blended very well with the rest of the horns in the section (mostly Bachs and Getzens).
pushyred
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a light weight VR II That I use pretty much exclusively every weekend for GB band gigs. I have a Bach 37 for classical stuff. I think the sound profile is quite similar between these two horns and I could take either Horn on either gig but the lighter weight Stomvi is easier to get through a four hour dance and it definitely allows me to do stuff in the upper register at the end of the night where the Bach would shut me down. I have played solo in church with the raptor and no one ran screaming into the street. It can sound quite lovely on a classical mouthpiece. I also just picked up a very used Yamaha RG. It's kind of in between the two. I take it to school to teach with most of the time. In short, I love the V Raptor. The valves are like butter and it does what I ask of it.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GB = Garage Band?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregplo wrote:
All that said...Stomvi makes great horns. I just haven't been able to find one that really fits me. I hope to be able to try the S3 and the Titan with the two tuning slides someday.

I recently got a Demo Stomvi S3 from Sam Ash in NYC, and have been playing it in my home the past week. So far, it encompasses everything I've liked about the other Stomvi horns, and so far, I haven't found any negatives (besides the guy behind the horn). It speaks easily, articulation is excellent, the sound is pretty much exactly what I've been looking for, I can play it comfortably from soft to loud, the blow is open for an ML Bore horn, the registers are even from bottom to top (of my range), and it is lighter than pretty much every Stomvi horn except the Mambo.

I've got Big Band, Concert Band and Church Orchestra rehearsals all coming up within the next 10 days, so I'll get a good feel for how it plays for me in an ensemble setting. More to come later....
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: