• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help me decide on a Hn White super 20 silver sonic symphony.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Help me decide on a Hn White super 20 silver sonic symphony. Reply with quote

I had planned on purchasing a vintage Silver Flair but something happened and it got lost in the post. I am deeply saddened by that as I was really looking forward to that horn. Was a great deal but it is what it is. Now I am looking on Hn Whites website at a few super 20 silver sonic symphonies as Rich Willey and I were talking about them the other day in my lesson. I had one in the past when I was back in Texas and I loved it. I am torn between one with the finger ring and one with the trigger. I have had both triggers in the past and my Bach has a saddle. I am not sure what I prefer at this point and could use some guidance which route to take.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First bear in mind that the Silver Flair and the Symphony Silversonic are VERY different horns.

When considering a trigger vs a saddle, there are 2 things to weigh, and which is more important varies with the individual. First, which is more comfortable and less disruptive of the embouchure, hold, etc.? Second, does the placement of mass at the end of the slide (trigger) dampen interference patterns in a way that comes closer to the tone you want? (google "trumpet harmonic balancer" if you don't know what this is about)

As a sidebar, HN White had prototyped a Symphony bore Flair, but the company was sold before it progressed into production and Nate Dolin was not looking to invest in R&D.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I had a first-valve trigger put on my Getzen Classic Eterna and it has made no difference to me in ergonomic efficiency or tone.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
First bear in mind that the Silver Flair and the Symphony Silversonic are VERY different horns.

When considering a trigger vs a saddle, there are 2 things to weigh, and which is more important varies with the individual. First, which is more comfortable and less disruptive of the embouchure, hold, etc.? Second, does the placement of mass at the end of the slide (trigger) dampen interference patterns in a way that comes closer to the tone you want? (google "trumpet harmonic balancer" if you don't know what this is about)

As a sidebar, HN White had prototyped a Symphony bore Flair, but the company was sold before it progressed into production and Nate Dolin was not looking to invest in R&D.

Back when I was a serious player I used a 1st trigger. It's been so long though. I forget to use my slide on my Bach and know I need to work on it. Ik I'm just getting back into playing and ik that's something Rich and I'll will have to work on. I don't seem to have had any issues with the rings on my super 20 I had back in Texas when I started back in music therapy before my divorce and move.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love triggers. I've always thought that gripping tighter and then less more intuitive than extending the hand while trying to hang on to the thing. That always just seemed stupid. And then there's the trigger on the tuning slide of my York cornet. Heaven.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trigger. I’m on my way to getting triggers mounted on all my horns (well, not the pTrumpet). For the same reasons as mentioned by Richard III.

I played a Hüttl Silver Colibri 69 for a bit and the 3rd valve trigger is just so much more logical than throwing out the slide with the ring. Same goes for the 1st valve.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a 3rd valve ring and a 1st valve trigger. That setup seems to make better ergonomic sense. Make sure the return spring on the trigger isn’t very strong to eliminate any tension at that point.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I like a 3rd valve ring and a 1st valve trigger. That setup seems to make better ergonomic sense. Make sure the return spring on the trigger isn’t very strong to eliminate any tension at that point.

That was always my preference and how I am leaning. Horn I am looking at seriously

Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a beauty!
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those are beautiful horns. I like the 1930s cornets with the more elaborate Art Deco style engravings even better (based on visuals, never played one).
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohw, nice eye candy! If it plays half as well as it looks, you're in for a treat!

Anyway, I can't offer you much advice except one personal thing: I have a trumpet with a 3rd slide trigger and a cornet with a 1st slide 'saddle'. Often I subconsciously hold onto the cornet in the same way as my trumpet, only to find that I'm unable to use its slide because my finger isn't in it. So for me, it'd be helpful if the triggers are the same across instruments.

Mechanically, the trigger pulls from the center between the tubes, whereas a slide pulls on one of the legs. That means there's torsion as well, which may (but often doesn't) add additional friction when moving the slide. I've had minor issues with slides getting stuck because of that, but if they're well greased/lubricated, it's probably not an issue.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a display piece, it is quite something. All of the horns Chris Charvat sells are show-pieces (typically involving a great deal of work to bring something in shaky condition back to better than new appearance). This has both positives and negatives.

The positive in terms of how it looks and impresses is obvious. Similarly, the fit and alignment will always be spot-on after essentially remanufacturing the horn.

The negatives are that this horn has been so heavily buffed to get to a smooth finish after what was probably extensive work, that a lot of metal has been removed. This is evidenced by the re-engraving of not only the bell, but every mark on the horn. The other negative is that $2200 is a lot of money for a horn that typically sells, admittedly not looking like that, for half that or less.

In the question-mark category are two items: how tight are the valves on a horn that apparently saw enough use to need major work, and how touchy and potentially edgy will the bell response be with the loss of mass through heavy buffing. The weasel words regarding the valves (slide pop and "no apparent loss") are a bit disconcerting. Only play testing can answer these questions.

Chris Charvat has been doing this for a long time, and I have heard few complaints. It still makes me a little uneasy that the name of the HN White Company technically belongs to Conn-Selmer and is usurped here to try and make this look like the website of the original maker, but despite this and some shady wording, Charvat seems to have mostly satisfied customers over a long time period.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
As a display piece, it is quite something. All of the horns Chris Charvat sells are show-pieces (typically involving a great deal of work to bring something in shaky condition back to better than new appearance). This has both positives and negatives.

The positive in terms of how it looks and impresses is obvious. Similarly, the fit and alignment will always be spot-on after essentially remanufacturing the horn.

The negatives are that this horn has been so heavily buffed to get to a smooth finish after what was probably extensive work, that a lot of metal has been removed. This is evidenced by the re-engraving of not only the bell, but every mark on the horn. The other negative is that $2200 is a lot of money for a horn that typically sells, admittedly not looking like that, for half that or less.

In the question-mark category are two items: how tight are the valves on a horn that apparently saw enough use to need major work, and how touchy and potentially edgy will the bell response be with the loss of mass through heavy buffing. The weasel words regarding the valves (slide pop and "no apparent loss") are a bit disconcerting. Only play testing can answer these questions.

Chris Charvat has been doing this for a long time, and I have heard few complaints. It still makes me a little uneasy that the name of the HN White Company technically belongs to Conn-Selmer and is usurped here to try and make this look like the website of the original maker, but despite this and some shady wording, Charvat seems to have mostly satisfied customers over a long time period.

Do conn-Selmer own the Hn white name or do they own the King name or does the white family own the name? When they sold it the name was changed to king musical instruments and the website claims it is still run and in affiliation with the original White family.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
Do conn-Selmer own the Hn white name or do they own the King name or does the white family own the name? When they sold it the name was changed to king musical instruments and the website claims it is still run and in affiliation with the original White family.

A fair question - as Conn-Selmer has been sloppy of late with trademark renewals (case in point the bungling and loss of Benge).

Nate Dolin bought The HN White Company in 1965 and built-out the year under that name while he filed new papers as King Musical Instruments. The trademark would have remained with that company and passed to Conn-Selmer. They are aware these can be sold, as they did selling Bundy to Guitar Center, so I am surprised by the Benge mistake - and that they have not sold others. Still, it might not be theirs anymore despite the many references online to use by permission.

Chris Charvat's claim that this is the same family business has some merit. As a direct descendent of HN White, that claim is about the same as Richard Martin's claim to be a continuation of the Martin Band Instrument Company (another trademark presumably still belonging to Conn-Selmer) as a business in the same family (The family that sold it in 1912.....) - though Martin took the precaution legally of incorporating as the Martin Brasswind Company... Both are great-grandchildren of founders.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I put a deposit down on this horn. We worked out a deal and I am paying a bit less that what is marked. I'm still on a tight budget so it will be a month or 2 till I get it, but I think I'll be really happy with this horn since the Silver Flair got lost in the mail. I did love the Super 20 silver sonic symphony I had back in Texas when I started my first comeback in 2012 or so.

LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious about one point in the ad.

It says “both the Sterling silver bell or leadpipe have been lacquered.”

I am wondering if it was meant to read “neither the Sterling…” or if they are indeed lacquered.

I just am not used to seeing lacquer on silver.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I am curious about one point in the ad.

It says “both the Sterling silver bell or leadpipe have been lacquered.”

I am wondering if it was meant to read “neither the Sterling…” or if they are indeed lacquered.

I just am not used to seeing lacquer on silver.

They used to put lacquer over solid sterling parts to preserve them so you didn't have to continually have to polish them. All these horns had lacquer on the leadpipe and bell from the factory. You also have to remember these are not Sterling plated parts but solid Sterling parts. So yes the whole horn is lacquered just like it was originally from the factory.

Last edited by chef8489 on Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
……They used to put liquor over solid sterling parts to preserve them so you didn't have to continually have to polish them. ……[/quote]

I used to put liquor INSIDE my horns, but long ago decided that it wasn’t preserving nor helping anything…..just the contrary, really. 😉

Brad
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:

……They used to put liquor over solid sterling parts to preserve them so you didn't have to continually have to polish them. ……[/quote]

I used to put liquor INSIDE my horns, but long ago decided that it wasn’t preserving nor helping anything…..just the contrary, really. 😉

Brad[/quote]

Damn autocorrect on phone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: