• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help Me Choose One of These Trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sPUdz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Help Me Choose One of These Trumpets Reply with quote

This is my first post on TH. There is a wealth of knowledge I have seen at work here. Thanks in advance!

I'm a comeback player. Coming from way back. My 50 year-old Selmer Paris is on it's last leg (only one leg is left as it is). My Olds Mendez has run off without a trace! (Maybe aided by that Selmer leg!) Anyhow, I'm looking at medium bore trumpets largely because I know I will never have the air I had in my 20s.

Things are not the way they used to be. Once upon a time, I could let the Band Director know I needed a new horn. The Chicago area was a Mecca for brass Mfrs. A couple of guys would show up laden with trumpets for me to try pretty much all day long. Those days are gone. Most local shops have only a couple on hand and generally not what I'm interested in. Not much of a chance these days to choose at my leisure. So, I am relying on the venerable and collective knowledge of the TH community for help. Following is the order from most desirable to least (to my current thinking). I'm trying to get a goof handle on Build quality, play-ability, valve action, and the like (I'm looking for a sound a little more on the commercial side).

1. Schilke B6
2. XO 16001
3. Yamaha YTR-8310Z
4. Shires Destino III (med bore - getting a tad bit pricey.)

Thanks again!
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sPUdz wrote:
Not much of a chance these days to choose at my leisure.
Why not? If you can't travel to a vendor like Austin Custom Brass, Dillon Music, Chuck Levin's, etc., you can find places that will ship you horns on a trial basis.

They are all fine horns that fit your specs. They will all have their advocates on this forum. The only way you will be able to choose the right one for you is to personally try them all.

Sorry -- no goof for you.
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
sPUdz wrote:
Not much of a chance these days to choose at my leisure.
Why not? If you can't travel to a vendor like Austin Custom Brass, Dillon Music, Chuck Levin's, etc., you can find places that will ship you horns on a trial basis.

They are all fine horns that fit your specs. They will all have their advocates on this forum. The only way you will be able to choose the right one for you is to personally try them all.

Sorry -- no goof for you.

No, it's no longer 'as it used to be'. I'm with Halflip on this, sounds like a road trip is in store. My choice was the B-6 but I only tried the Yammie and Schilke, don't know enough to comment on Shires or XO. The 'step-bore' B-6 is more efficient than the ML or larger bores but it has it's uses. My Bach 180/37 has it's place also.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are design elements beyond bore size that impact how a horn blows. Thus, you might be better off trying some horns rather than predetermining that you need a medium bore.

As for the horns on your list, there's no way to know which, if any, will be a good match for you, but I would start with the Schilke and the Yamaha. They are fairly popular, so you should be able to find them new or used, and could easily sell either if it didn't work out for you. Good luck!
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more options for medium bore horns, both based on the Connstellations of yore:

Kanstul 991 (such as I have in my signature)
Adams A6
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have personal experience with both the Schilke B6 and the Jupiter 1600i, and I gigged each horn for years. However, YMMV, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

I picked up the B6 because I was playing rock and roll horn lines in a wedding band, and the Bach LB 25 was working me to death - it just didn't have the zip in the sound I wanted, and I felt like I was working too hard to get it.

The B6 was a cool horn and I always really really enjoyed the sound I got on it. The downside was that the slotting was such that if I wasn't working and practicing to really stay dialed in with that horn, it would hurt me on the bandstand, and I missed A LOT. I tried adding weight to the horn with an adjustable sound-post/brace, and I tried heavy valve caps. The B6 is perfectly balanced as it is, and adding weight never seemed to help that horn at all - it made it feel like it was harder to play.

I tried a different mouthpiece, moving from a Schilke 14A4 to a Warburton 4SVW/KT backbore. The defined inner bite of the Warburton helped some, but it didn't completely fix it.

It was frustrating to the point that I started to look for a different trumpet solution, and after doing copious reading, I decided on the Jupiter 1600i, specifically due to the reputation it has for secure slotting. The slottoning on that horn was such that coming from the Schilke B6, I could actually feel the horn pull me into the center of the slot and pitch if hit it a bit low or high - nice wide, defined slots, but it didn't slot so hard that it wasn't still flexibile.

Without a doubt, the 1600i made me a better player in that context. Once I'd acclimated to it, it was like every single gig I was having a great night on the horn. I also seemed to have a great sound on it for that kind of music. When you're using a shallower mouthpiece and pushing some volume, the sound on the 1600i just cuts in a very phat, brassy way.

I know I've worn out these clips - I've posted them several times, but I'll post them again because I think it's a decent example of how the Jupiter sounds for one of us mere mortal trumpet players.

I Want You Back - Jackson 5
https://soundcloud.com/trickg/i-want-you-back-new-monopoly-live

Downtown - Petula Clarke
https://soundcloud.com/trickg/downtown-new-monopoly-live
(trumpet solo starts at 1:58 )

Now, having said that, the 1600i has a couple of drawbacks. Mine has two notes that always stuck out to me from an intonation perspective. The 4th line D was always noticeably low, and the 1st ledger B natural above the staff tended to be sharp, and toward the end of a night of hard playing when I was getting tired, it was tough to pull it back in tune.

Both trumpets also tended to really light up for me on anything from a top line F and up, even with a bigger mouthpiece, and especially if I was pushing any kind of volume. In a classical setting the B6 had a better sound, but that danged slotting was such that I never felt very secure with it using it in a classical setting. The sound of the 1600i was ok, but not what I felt was ideal for a horn in a legit setting.

I actually lost a point because of that on my Army AMPA (Army Musical Proficiency Assessment) when I went to the Senior Leadership Course, and only squeaked by to get my Charlie 1 qualifier. (earning a minimum of 30 out of 36 points) I got dinged on the excerpt from the Hindemith Symphony for concert band because the assessors felt that my sound got too bright when I was pushing higher and louder. I knew the sound was cutting - that's just what that horn does - but there wasn't anything I was able to do about it.

From the list you have there, because of my personal experience, unless you are going to be playing in a rock band or a big band, I'd pass on both the B6 and the 1600i. I've never played the Z horn, but I've heard that there are folks who use it in classical settings and it works beautifully for that too.

If you can afford it though, get the Shires. Just do it. I have yet to play a Shires that didn't have a singing tone. I tried a Destino at one point - it was a used earlier model ML bore, and I liked it a lot, but I didn't have the coin at the time to pick it up. The reason I'm playing a Shires now is because the Maryland national guard bought one and issued it to me.

Quick question - are you certain you want a medium bore horn? I've moved from medium bore back to a ML, and now that I'm acclimated to the new horn, I really don't notice a difference.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rather direct approach is just to listen to Trent Austin demonstrate these horns on his website. Not a substitute for personal tryouts but I've found it pretty helpful.

Just go to youtube and either enter Trent Austin, ACB (Austin Custom Brass), or the horn by its full name.

Although you could qualify certain aspects of the sound, still a good substitute for our words.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
A rather direct approach is just to listen to Trent Austin demonstrate these horns on his website. Not a substitute for personal tryouts but I've found it pretty helpful.

Just go to youtube and either enter Trent Austin, ACB (Austin Custom Brass), or the horn by its full name.

Although you could qualify certain aspects of the sound, still a good substitute for our words.

So the descriptions I gave above of actually using and gigging mine, each of which was gigged for 5+ years (9 on the Schilke, 6 on the Jupiter 1600i) aren't as good as listening to a few clips online?

I'm not sure if I should feel insulted or not.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Patrick - it's a bane of forum threads that one can make a comment that is not meant to single out the previous post, but can give that impression. Of course your real-life experiences have a lot of guidance and credibility and I, for one, am grateful for them.

As a general comment, though, you know that threads like this also attract comments from folks who talk about horns they're just repeating things or speculating on things they have no personal experience with. I'm just just pointing out that another source of the sound of a horn (qualifications notwithstanding) is Trent. Not a panacea just a simple and quick supplement.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fwiw I found your post very thorough Patrick. You obviously put a lot of effort in providing a good, well written answer, which is commendable.

But I also agree with Kehaulani: the video’s by Trent Austin are a great way to compare gear. Not only has he played tons of horns, he’s also a very consistent player, making it easier to compare the relative differences. I also sometimes watch horntrader video’s for the same reason.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
@Patrick - it's a bane of forum threads that one can make a comment that is not meant to single out the previous post, but can give that impression. Of course your real-life experiences have a lot of guidance and credibility and I, for one, am grateful for them.

As a general comment, though, you know that threads like this also attract comments from folks who talk about horns they're just repeating things or speculating on things they have no personal experience with. I'm just just pointing out that another source of the sound of a horn (qualifications notwithstanding) is Trent. Not a panacea just a simple and quick supplement.

That's fair - and I agree, seeing and hearing the real McCoy being played does offer a lot of credence. Trent, however, can make cheapo student model horns sing. It's not completely an accurate view of how that horn is going to be a for a prospective player.
- ACB Doubler

OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Me Choose One of These Trumpets Reply with quote

sPUdz wrote:
I'm looking at medium bore trumpets largely because I know I will never have the air I had in my 20s

You are starting from a false premise: The bore size has absolutely nothing to do with the volume of air you put through the horn. The throat at the base of the mouthpiece cup does more than just organize the noise from the embouchure into the beginnings of the standing wave, it is a venturi and is the determinant of volumetric flow. The delta pressure across that venturi will determine how much air you need. Nothing else.

Do you find it less tiring to play a horn with more perceived resistance (which is really how much energy you put in to get a given dynamic at your ears), or prefer the feeling of a "free blowing" illusion where the horn seems to be quite loud without as much deliberate action on your part?

Do you prefer a fast and light response, or is a little inertia more to your liking to perhaps prevent it getting away from you?

Do you like a horn that pulls you to the pitch center (like a Bach 180) or that allows you great freedom to shift the pitch (like a Schilke B) with minimal effort (which of course can also be when you don't intend it...)?

These are among the factors to consider in choosing a horn along with tonal character, projection, etc. Don't limit you list to medium bore (though dont exclude it either)

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
sPUdz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all very much for all the well thought out responses and effort put into helping me out.

I picked up a 1600 today for a very nice price. Like many things - I'll see how this goes!

Thanks again!
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Trent, however, can make cheapo student model horns sing. It's not completely an accurate view of how that horn is going to be a for a prospective player.

Agreed. I find his video's useful to compare the differences between horns, rather than the sound of an individual one.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Choose One of These Trumpets Reply with quote

sPUdz wrote:
This is my first post on TH. There is a wealth of knowledge I have seen at work here. Thanks in advance!

I'm a comeback player. Coming from way back. My 50 year-old Selmer Paris is on it's last leg (only one leg is left as it is). My Olds Mendez has run off without a trace! (Maybe aided by that Selmer leg!) Anyhow, I'm looking at medium bore trumpets largely because I know I will never have the air I had in my 20s.

Things are not the way they used to be. Once upon a time, I could let the Band Director know I needed a new horn. The Chicago area was a Mecca for brass Mfrs. A couple of guys would show up laden with trumpets for me to try pretty much all day long. Those days are gone. Most local shops have only a couple on hand and generally not what I'm interested in. Not much of a chance these days to choose at my leisure. So, I am relying on the venerable and collective knowledge of the TH community for help. Following is the order from most desirable to least (to my current thinking). I'm trying to get a goof handle on Build quality, play-ability, valve action, and the like (I'm looking for a sound a little more on the commercial side).

1. Schilke B6
2. XO 16001
3. Yamaha YTR-8310Z
4. Shires Destino III (med bore - getting a tad bit pricey.)

Thanks again!

Being the very satisfied owner of a Yamaha 6335 RC I will recommend this horn. Very versatile, could be used in any setting and very modestly priced. I´ve compared it against other horns (Bach 190 Commercial, Yamaha LA model, Van Laar 7, XO 1600 (not-1), my old King Super 20, Van Laar B3 etc and with me behind clearly the best one. Easy to play, good core, great warmth, very much "in tune",really helps you.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help Me Choose One of These Trumpets Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
sPUdz wrote:
I'm looking at medium bore trumpets largely because I know I will never have the air I had in my 20s

You are starting from a false premise: The bore size has absolutely nothing to do with the volume of air you put through the horn. The throat at the base of the mouthpiece cup does more than just organize the noise from the embouchure into the beginnings of the standing wave, it is a venturi and is the determinant of volumetric flow. The delta pressure across that venturi will determine how much air you need. Nothing else.

Do you find it less tiring to play a horn with more perceived resistance (which is really how much energy you put in to get a given dynamic at your ears), or prefer the feeling of a "free blowing" illusion where the horn seems to be quite loud without as much deliberate action on your part?

Do you prefer a fast and light response, or is a little inertia more to your liking to perhaps prevent it getting away from you?

Do you like a horn that pulls you to the pitch center (like a Bach 180) or that allows you great freedom to shift the pitch (like a Schilke B) with minimal effort (which of course can also be when you don't intend it...)?

These are among the factors to consider in choosing a horn along with tonal character, projection, etc. Don't limit you list to medium bore (though dont exclude it either)

I raised my eyebrow a bit with his logic behind wanting to get a medium bore horn, but went along with it because personal perception goes a long way. Of course this moot at this point - they already snagged the Jupiter 1600i. There's interesting tidbit on the Schilke Loyalist site that was set up by Jim Donaldson that actually talks about the irrelevance of bore size and why. It's always worth reading.

https://www.everythingtrumpet.com/schilke/B_flat_trumpets.html

Touching back on the 1600i, the last I heard, the intonation issue with the 4th line D had been corrected. In my own experience with the 1600i, it really did pull me out of a period where I was starting to question my ability as a player due to the slippery slotting of the B6. I've never been one to blame gear - I have always figured that as long as I have a solid quality instrument in my hands then any deficiencies I had were mine to correct in the practice room, but my accuracy with the Jupiter was drastically improved. It's so frustrating when you're on a gig and there are so many misses, "spleeeahs," cracks, etc. As someone pointed out in another thread, it becomes circular because it erodes your confidence, which causes errors in playing too.

The Jupiter 1600i pulled me out of a funk in playing once I'd acclimated to it. To touch on that a bit, When I first got the horn, the first few days were just amazing. The honeymoon on that horn was awesome, but once the real acclimation phase started, it took me longer to dial in to this horn than just about any other horn I've ever switched to, but I've always had a hard time acclimating after switching horns. If you go back and read my posts about the 1600i, I'm sure I talked about being frustrated with it for a period before getting to a point where I really really enjoyed it.

sPUdz, I think you're going to enjoy that trumpet a lot. Like I said, I've gigged mine for 6 years and it served me very well - maybe not the best sound for classically oriented music, but I always made it work.
- ACB Doubler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: