• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thoughts, positibe or negative, on Alto Fluegel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Thoughts, positibe or negative, on Alto Fluegel? Reply with quote

Andy Taylor is talking about his prototype on his FB...
https://www.facebook.com/TaylorTrumpets/
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone there compared it to Trent Hamilton's video of a "solo horn"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2eTiTMIDSo&ab_channel=TrentHamilton

There were also some nice comparison to mellophones (which are in F) and valve trombones/flugabones, which are in Bb.

I have some of the marching instruments and find they're a ton of fun to play but hard to adapt to gigs, and also honestly invite (probably deserved) ridicule from symphonic players.

I do think Taylor's creation looks very cool. Looks like it would be a lot of fun to play also.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! On German eBay Eb and F Alto trumpets come up quite regularly. Most are old rotaries in often questionable shape but the DO look like fun. I have never played one and only use I could see is fun playing at home, so I certainly won’t buy one.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Soprano Helicon in Eb Reply with quote

There is also Melton's soprano helicon in Eb, which uses a flügelhorn mouthpiece:

dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that post, and even commented on it. I have a Peck-Horn and a couple of french horns, and am always interested in what possible sounds there are out there (and I've seen Reichenbach's Altos, which are very interesting), but ... it's a lot of money for a "wouldn't that be fun?"
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent Bach catalogued Flugelhorns in Eb Soprano and Eb alto (contalto) until about 1965. I never saw the Alto, and May have seen a soprano in Eb on eBay years ago. The Bach Mt. Vernon Eb cornet and Flugelhorns were trumpet wrapped, so they looked alike. I have the old catalogue.

About 10 years ago, our church wanted a really sad sounding horn for a performance of "Via Dolorosa" (Way of Sorrow) and I thought of the Alto flugelhorn as fitting the bill. I found a used recent Bach mellophone (they are in F, not Eb) locally, and began experimenting with mouthpieces to get an alto flugelhorn sound.

Modern mellophones have receivers that take a trumpet shank. If you order a Bach "mellophone mouthpiece", it will have a small cornet shank which would fit the old mellophones made until the 1970's or so. Most mellophone players in regular marching bands use trumpet mouthpieces or French horn mouthpieces with adapters.

I got a tenor horn mouthpiece (or Blessing mellophone piece) and got the sound i wanted.

I had to add a ring to the third slide and smooth up the 1st and 3rd slides and learn to play in tune (most marching directors seem to think that was an impossible task) and have made it a regular feature of the Maundy Thursday service.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a jupiter mellophone. The french horn adapter was stuck in place, so I had it pulled and bought a mellophone mouthpiece used (Hammond 6mp). It's a good set-up. Using a real mellophone mouthpiece seems like the way to go. I may try it at church sometime, but would need to work on transposing F to C.

To me, Taylor's flugelhorn looks like it takes a trombone/euphonium mouthpiece. Is that right? I'd like to hear someone compare it to a flugabone blind--I am guessing they're fairly similar.
MagyarQ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to play alto flugel on Don Elliott Mellophone solo transcriptions. If you haven't heard of him, do look him up.
gsmonks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts, positibe or negative, on Alto Fluegel? Reply with quote

Shawnino wrote:
Andy Taylor is talking about his prototype on his FB...
https://www.facebook.com/TaylorTrumpets/

It depends whether you're talking about an alto Saxhorn (aka peck horn, alto horn, tenor horn, Eb horn, etc) or a real Eb or F alto flugelhorn.

Where the Saxhorn is concerned, the bell-forward version (aka solo alto, marching alto, marching tenor) is usually the poor cousin of the upright (aka tubaform) version. I've had a few solo altos (antiques) over the years that weren't bad players, but weren't in the same ballpark as the Courtois, Willson, Besson Sovereign, or Yamaha Maestro.

Where real flugelhorns are concerned, all my low Eb/F flugelhorns are antiques ranging in quality from instrument-shaped object to excellent. Putting a name to them is a crap-shoot because a good many of the 19th-century instruments I've collected over the years are nameless, so recommending a particular brand isn't possible in many cases. My ca 1899 Rudolph is a good player.

Real flugelhorns (originally referred to as "valved bugles") began ca 1830 when Leopold Uhlmann of Vienna patented a C instrument with Vienna Valves. They came in all shapes, sizes, and keys, from Eb soprano to Bb to Eb alto/tenor to Bb tenor/bass to Bb bass/contrabass. They also have rotary valves.

Saxhorns (patented in 1844) came in piccolo form (can't recall the keys) to Eb soprano, to Bb alto (these two were originally called Infantry Saxhorns but today are miscalled "flugelhorns", especially by Jazz players), Eb alto/tenor horn, and small- and large-bore Bb baritone. In the early days there were also bass Saxhorns, but the tuba family mopped the floor with them in short order.

I highly recommend the low F and Eb antique flugelhorns for playing jazz, if you can ever find one in playing condition. The Eb soprano, too. The antique low Eb/F contralto rotary-valve trumpet, too. The more-or-less modern Bach 187f and the Getzen are good players, too.
THE BD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a cool horn and would be fun to take and play on a chart, but it mostly feels like we're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist with this one...

Yeah, I did that!
gsmonks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE BD wrote:
Definitely a cool horn and would be fun to take and play on a chart, but it mostly feels like we're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist with this one...

True. Jazz guys are always looking for something cool to pull out of the hat, and this is definitely one of those rabbits. Maybe we're chasing it down the rabbit hole?

Here, bunny, bunny, bunny . . .

Have you seen the Normaphones? They're a sax-shaped family of trumpets, named for the designer's wife.

I'm ordering a quinticlave in a few months (my retirement present to myself). It's an alto ophicleide, aka keyed serpent. Same key and range as we're talking here. I want to see how it holds up in a jazz setting. In the right hands ophicleides are far more expressive than their valved counterparts.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played a turn of the century mellophone in jazz. Think Don Elliot. Plays in F with trumpet fingerings. Bit of a muffled sound, so the mellow in the mellophone is true. I've also played marching french horns and marching baritones in jazz. All worked very well. I'm not talking big band playing, but small combo stuff.

I also just bought a flugabone. Should arrive tomorrow. So that will make the set complete as it is a marching trombone. Love the sound of these horns.

But the question is Eb flugel. Not a clue where you would play it. I do all the arranging for my bands so I can make the part in any key I want, but you still have to think in that key. Eb kind of bends my mind a bit.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it could be used doubling or replacing an Alto saxophone part?

If I'm not mistaken, with saxophones the relative pitches where chosen in a way that allowed them to blend nicely together (in for example a traditional saxophone quartet). It would be fun to try something similar with brass instruments.
THE BD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
Maybe it could be used doubling or replacing an Alto saxophone part?

If I'm not mistaken, with saxophones the relative pitches where chosen in a way that allowed them to blend nicely together (in for example a traditional saxophone quartet). It would be fun to try something similar with brass instruments.

Could be possible with the right chart, but not just anywhere. I used to play bari sax in a big band regularly, and one of the Christmas charts we did had a clarinet feature in the bari part. While I can play it just fine on the clarinet, it was always a show stopper and sounded really cool when I played it on flugel. Everyone loved it that way!

Yeah, I did that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: