• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reinhardt embouchure-type specific exercises?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Reinhardt embouchure-type specific exercises? Reply with quote

xxxOnce the embouchure type has ben diagnosed, do the technical exercises change accordingly or are they applied traditionally, i.e. Williams, Arban etc. to everyone, regardless of embouchure type?

Or = are there exercises specific to only one embouchure type and not the others?

Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Reinhardt embouchure-type specific exercises? Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Once the embouchure type has ben diagnosed, do the technical exercises change accordingly or are they applied traditionally, i.e. Williams, Arban etc. to everyone, regardless of embouchure type?

Or = are there exercises specific to only one embouchure type and not the others?

Thanks.

In my lesson time years ago with Rich Willey (BeboppinFool), he gave me specific exercises, even mentioning such in this present TH Reinhardt thread...

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1637608#1637608

...and also, Glenn Libman discusses this as he reflects on his own training directly under Doc Reinhardt many years ago in this fairly recent YouTube interview...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ99GK0MfuI
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, any and all advice needs to be more about the individual than generalized too much by embouchure type.

There are certainly some practice styles/techniques/exercises that are more important to some types than others, but as everybody is different and has their own strengths, weaknesses, and problems, it's best to take that into account more than generalizing by type.

Here's my take on generalizations by type:
IIIA's do well to warm up quickly and cover the whole range right away.
IIIB's do well with a longer and slower warmup, like #57.
IV's are variable, some behave more like IIIA's upside down. and others are more like IIIB's and need to spend more time on warming up slowly. That can change as they develop.

In the end, we all need to sound good all over the horn without neglecting part of it.

And when I asked Reinhardt that same question, his answer was "I don't care what you play, just do it right."
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting aside.

https://wilktone.com/?p=1975

Cat Anderson Reinhardt mention.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: