• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

horn to horn - French to trumpet that is

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr A

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: horn to horn - French to trumpet that is Reply with quote

As a F horn player for more than 40 years, I took a break and then decided to come back on trumpet instead. Has anyone heard of Tempest? Located in TX I think. A professional trumpeter friend recommended that I get one of them.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your friend is a true, working professional and he knows you well, I wouldn't have any misgivings taking his advice. Just make sure that the seller has a liberal return policy and doesn't break the bank, in case it doesn't work out.

Where are you located?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of "Tempest" and I've heard of a lot of trumpet things.

That's all.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tempest, aka Agility Winds, is a san Antonio Texas based brand that is a bit vague about the production of its instruments. However, unlike most supplier-built lines (imports), it offers a 5 year warranty. Products are available on Amazon, and the reviews thus far appear to be the typical click-driver nonsense typical of Amazon listed horns. The US staff appears to be very engaged though, and offers repair services directly (or so they say, though how one would contact that repair operation is never spelled out).

Looks, and I emphasize this is an appearance not a known fact, like a small group of folks importing horns built to their specs, fixing the production issues and leveraging those techs (maybe themselves) to also do repairs when defects slip through. These schemes can produce some pretty good results if done right, but there simply are not trustworthy reviews yet, so it is a case of "try it and see" I guess.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Dr A

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. I have a Tempest Bb trumpet I'm thinking of selling. I found it well built and good to play, a bit hard to maintain as the finish tarnishes easily. Living in an apartment doesn't make it easy to practice, even with a mute. And I have no group to play with. The pandemic has not made that any easier for sure. I live in Seattle. I thought about renting a practice space, but I guess I'm getting lazier in old age, plus I have other things to spend money on, like food etc. Oh well. My brass playing days are probably behind me. At least I have an electronic piano!! With headphones, it is no problem to play as loud as I like!
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr A wrote:
Thanks for your replies. I have a Tempest Bb trumpet I'm thinking of selling. I found it well built and good to play, a bit hard to maintain as the finish tarnishes easily. Living in an apartment doesn't make it easy to practice, even with a mute. And I have no group to play with. The pandemic has not made that any easier for sure. I live in Seattle. I thought about renting a practice space, but I guess I'm getting lazier in old age, plus I have other things to spend money on, like food etc. Oh well. My brass playing days are probably behind me. At least I have an electronic piano!! With headphones, it is no problem to play as loud as I like!

Before you give up, maybe consider another apartment? There are lots of complexes where playing during the mid-afternoon doesn't bother anyone. I'm sitting by a horn in a bedroom that shares a wall with the condo next door, so I make sure to not noodle around after the toddler's bedtime (he's right on the other side running around right now - sounds like an elephant...), but its no problem during the day. I think that so long as you are mindful of others, most apartments will have no trouble with you playing.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr A wrote:

Any small colleges in your area with concert bands?

I managed to get practice room privileges in return for playing in bands to help fill out their brass sections. Small private colleges often have trouble finding enough players for regular band. Larger colleges with music programs will have a "B" band for music majors learning a second instrument. They may welcome community players.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: