• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Doubling on Flugel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikepodorski

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Doubling on Flugel Reply with quote

Curios about practicing both trumpet and Flugelhorn. I may be overthinking this. It's not like doubling on tuba or something. I have enough time to practice about an hour each day. Is it better to play both each day, alternate days or weeks?
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play flugel for enjoyment, whenever you feel like. Also practice flugel when you need to for a particular piece or repertoire if you have it coming up. Like you said, don't really need to overthink it. It should be about what you enjoy playing.
In general, you shouldn't "need" to practice fundamentals each day on the flugelhorn if you are doing them on the trumpet. I have never spent much time practicing flugelhorn unless I played it in jazz band, in a british brass band, on a recital, or when I feel like it. It's useful to spend some time exploring the intonation and range peculiarities but doesn't need to be a daily methodical routine, in my opinion.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right it's not like doubling on Tuba or Trombone.
However, you'll appreciate some time with it, to adjust to the differences.

I always start on my Bb, main ax. Then branch out to the others to keep current with them (C, D/Eb, picc, Flugel, Cornet). Trying to play on each every day, and for sure days before I have to use them at a gig.

With Flugel, I'd suggest starting by playing some some lyrical stuff. Really maximizing the sound, being careful that your articulation matches (generally less pointed and less aggressive). Use a tuner! The warm broad tone of the Flugel can mask pitch. Then I find Flugels to be more sensitive to mouthpieces (in tone and tuning) then trumpets-finding the best match can take time and may not be the one you think it will be (brand or design)
Retired Air Force Bandsman
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
Play flugel for enjoyment, whenever you feel like. Also practice flugel when you need to for a particular piece or repertoire if you have it coming up. Like you said, don't really need to overthink it. It should be about what you enjoy playing.
In general, you shouldn't "need" to practice fundamentals each day on the flugelhorn if you are doing them on the trumpet. I have never spent much time practicing flugelhorn unless I played it in jazz band, in a british brass band, on a recital, or when I feel like it. It's useful to spend some time exploring the intonation and range peculiarities but doesn't need to be a daily methodical routine, in my opinion.

This is almost exactly what I was going to say. I spend my time practicing for chops development and maintenance on Bb trumpet. Everything else gets worked on an as-needed basis. Example - Sunday I had an orchestra concert where I played everything on C, so when I was working that repertoire, I played exclusively on C. When the wedding band was working and a tune was on the list where I doubled on flugel - typically ballads - then I would work that tune on flugel. Some tunes started on flugel and moved to trumpet - that's how I'd work those.

I don't recall ever practicing on flugel for the sake of getting time in on flugel.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: