• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece for Hummel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starkly

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece for Hummel Reply with quote

I'm doing Hummel with my orchestra soon and am wondering what would be best to maintain the short and crisp articulations, big tone, and solid upper range? I'm a little unstable on the upper register esp. endurance-wise. I'm doing 5c...would going to something like the 3c or 7c or Marcinciewitz help me? Thanks.
Jason
codyb334
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're playing it with your orchestra and you don't know what mouthpiece to use? This must be a youth orchestra or something because nobody I know that plays in even a semi professional orchestra would deem it necessary to change from their normal mouthpiece... not to be offensive if you are not a young player, but wouldn't your normal mouthpiece and time in the practice room subdue just fine???
Olds L12 Flugel
GR 67L
Monette Prana BL2 S3 XLT
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay with what got you there!.. nothing wrong with the 5c. You've apparently had some success if you're playing a solo with an Orchestra; and I would assume you've had some instruction (I hope) so, that you're making good musical choices within the music.

A mouthpiece change should come from long term/big picture reasons. Does your instructor think you need to change? Probably not right before you have to tackle a solo with the orchestra.!

Save your $$ right now and spend your time in the practice and listening rooms!

good luck
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Starkly

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understandable. I guess what I should've asked is what mouthpiece is ideal? What would someone such as Tine or Alison use? I've been practicing it on 5c and am going to play it on 5c, but I do have many other performance opportunities in the future as well.
derekthor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't gotten a chance yet to do any extensive playing with this combination, but using a Curry TF piece in an E-flat trumpet gives a really cool tone that I think would work well with either Hummel or Haydn. It is significantly deeper than what you're using, so it probably wouldn't be your solution, but if you ever wanted to experiment with different colours, it could be a way to go.
tptplayer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ms Helseth uses 1 1/4 C, Ms Balsom , I would assume, also uses a mainstream mouthpiece.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starkly wrote:
Understandable. I guess what I should've asked is what mouthpiece is ideal? What would someone such as Tine or Alison use? I've been practicing it on 5c and am going to play it on 5c, but I do have many other performance opportunities in the future as well.

There is no ideal mouthpiece for an Eb trumpet. Generally, people use the same mouthpiece they use on C trumpet. Essentially, whatever you normally play on your big horns, you play on your Eb. No change for that one.
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codyb334 wrote:
You're playing it with your orchestra and you don't know what mouthpiece to use? This must be a youth orchestra or something because nobody I know that plays in even a semi professional orchestra would deem it necessary to change from their normal mouthpiece... not to be offensive if you are not a young player, but wouldn't your normal mouthpiece and time in the practice room subdue just fine???

Well, if you read the once-upon-a-time ITG interview with Bud Herseth, you'll find that he spent time during his practice sessions evaluating mouthpieces. He kept a book with notes on what he found worked and when. One of the examples, I believe, was working up a performance of the Haydn and that he was finding, at that time, a Bach 7D was working well.

Things can change day-to-day, even for professionals.

I'll look for that interview.
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://blogs.wfmt.com/offmic/files/2013/04/200401Herseth-2.pdf

It was a 7DW and the Hummel.
chrisroyal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codyb334 wrote:

Um...I know of a guy who switched from his regular mouthpiece for solo works on Eb and E trumpet...
(from John Hagstrom — Interview with Adolph Herseth (Jan 04/6))

"Hagstrom: What other sorts of notes did you make?
Herseth: Well, I’ll just find an example. January 22nd... It’s got to be 1977 because that last one here is December of 1976. All right... “January 22nd: Test yesterday on the cornet for [Lt.] Kije. Mouthpiece: 1/26/24 (a designation for a Bach #1 rim and cup with a #26 throat hole size and a #24 backbore con- tour) was the best.” All right. “Also tested mouthpieces on my 239 large bore C trumpet. Found the 1/26/24 and the 1B/25 to be very good. The most sound came from the new one 1C/26/24.” Okay here we are... “January 22nd continued— Played through the Hummel on the E trumpet with a 7 DW cornet mouthpiece on the old Bach adapter. Marvelous into- nation response, sound, endurance, flexibility all great. Must pursue this under this wider rim.” Ah, yeah, so it was a 7 DW which I had actually dug out so it was a little deeper, and a cor- net mouthpiece in a Bach trumpet mouthpiece adapter, you know, to fit it in the trumpet, and that, I think was probably when I was getting ready to play it with Solti on the E trum- pet which, okay... Here we are... “April 3rd:” ...and this would have been with Barenboim, I think... “A week ago recorded Schumann First Symphony on a Heckel, the Second on a Monke, and the Third on the Yamaha (all are rotary valved C trumpets). Used the new 1B/26/24 on all, and later on Schumann Fourth with another Monke. And then we record- ed Russian Easter Overture and Capriccio Espagnol.” I did that on the Bach (piston valve C trumpet). “...played performances of Dvor ̆ák’s New World Symphony on the Monke with the 1B/26/24, but switched to the Bach for the recording using old 1B. May be time to switch back.” (laughs) That’s what a lot of this stuff is."
Schagerl Bb, C and Picc rotors
Yamaha and Schilke Flugels
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece for Hummel Reply with quote

Starkly wrote:
I'm doing Hummel with my orchestra soon and am wondering what would be best to maintain the short and crisp articulations, big tone, and solid upper range? I'm a little unstable on the upper register esp. endurance-wise. I'm doing 5c...would going to something like the 3c or 7c or Marcinciewitz help me? Thanks.
Jason

I don't understand where you're trying to go with this. You're coming on here, asking a bunch of random stranger trumpet players at wildly disparate levels of ability, who have never heard or have seen you play, about a choice that's super personal to begin with. We could tell you any old thing and it's probably not going to help you.

First question that I'm not sure was ever addressed - are you playing this on Bb or Eb trumpet? It seems there is an assumption that you are going to play it on Eb?

It has only been in the last few years that I have found myself in possession of trumpet in keys in something other than Bb. A few years back I picked up an Eb/D and just recently I picked up a C. I can tell you this - the mouthpieces I use with my Bb aren't great choices for those horns. I use a Marcinkiewicz #2 with my Bb, and I use a Shires 3C (made by Pickett) on the C - it's a smoother, rounder tone with better intonation. For me. YMMV. (on a side note, I may wind up going to that Shires 3C for everything - it's a very comfortable mouthpiece, and it's a bit rounder than the Marcinkiewicz.)

At this point I don't remember what I use with the D/Eb, but I know that I experimented around a fair bit on the mouthpieces I have in my accumulation to see if something worked better than the others. I can tell you it's not the mouthpiece I use for my Bb.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
chrisroyal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece for Hummel Reply with quote

Starkly wrote:
Jason

It often seems that the bigger the mouthpiece for the Bb, the smaller the mouthpiece for the Eb. Like 1C on Bb to a 3 or smaller diameter on Eb. It also matters what type of playing, Some people use the Eb as a Bb/C replacement so the same mouthpiece works to give a similar sound.

But with Haydn/Hummel you are not trying to bury the orchestra; so smaller equipment is often appropriate. It's basically chamber music, not Mahler.

If you already play on something smaller or shallower on Bb, then just stay with it on Eb.
Schagerl Bb, C and Picc rotors
Yamaha and Schilke Flugels
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We still don't know if he's playing it on Bb or Eb trumpet. When I was in HS I didn't even know that doing Hummel on Eb was a thing - everyone I knew who played it did it on Bb.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP was struggling with this problem - what 7 years ago?

Can we assume he/ she resolved it and it's a little late for me to tell them to check his/her mpc gap?

Edited when I realized I assumed the OP was "he".

Last edited by Andy Cooper on Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:

Can we assume he resolved it and it's a little late for me to tell him to check his mpc gap?

Oh good grief! I had no idea this was a zombie thread. Why in the world did someone dig this up and respond to it after 8 years!?!?!?
- ACB Doubler

Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Andy Cooper wrote:

Can we assume he resolved it and it's a little late for me to tell him to check his mpc gap?

Oh good grief! I had no idea this was a zombie thread. Why in the world did someone dig this up and respond to it after 8 years!?!?!?

Don't feel bad - I was two paragraphs into a reply before I decided to check the OP's posting history. "Who told you that your articulations are not crisp enough? Why listen to what's his name's rendition blah blah blah...."

I still say the OP shoulda checked the MPC gap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: