• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

FRANK TOMES SLIDE TRUMPET (FLATT TRUMPET)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trombasolo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: FRANK TOMES SLIDE TRUMPET (FLATT TRUMPET) Reply with quote

Hello, this type of trumpet is also known as a "flatt" trumpet - not flat in pitch haha. Plays in C and D, Baroque and modern pitch. It was used in the music of Purcell. Does anybody know how much this trumpet would be worth? The Tomes that I have was made in approx. the 1970s or 1980s. Thanks.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Frank Tomes passed away sometime in the last decade. The successor shop, run by his apprentice, is https://www.davidstafftrumpets.com/

You might ask there.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
I believe Frank Tomes passed away sometime in the last decade. The successor shop, run by his apprentice, is https://www.davidstafftrumpets.com/

You might ask there.

This topic interested me so I did some research. I notice that David’s website doesn’t indicate his shop is a successor shop. It actually says “In 2009 he established his own workshop and began making and selling trumpets.”

I am not trying to start an argument, but I am curious why you called it that.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

You might ask there.

This topic interested me so I did some research. I notice that David’s website doesn’t indicate his shop is a successor shop. It actually says “In 2009 he established his own workshop and began making and selling trumpets.”

Check my online handle "Old School" - I consider an apprentice, in the absence of the original corporate entity continuing, to be that continuation.

I view York, as a continuation of Boston. I view Kanstul's Burbank as a continuation of Benge - and BAC as a continuation of that. Most notably, the current Buffet-Crampon monopoly in Europe is controlled by the Meinl family, a continuation of the Langhammer shop.

Sure, you can say he is "unique", but we all reflect our teachers, and I think we should mute our egos enough to admit it.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

You might ask there.

Check my online handle "Old School" - I consider an apprentice, in the absence of the original corporate entity continuing, to be that continuation.

I view York, as a continuation of Boston. I view Kanstul's Burbank as a continuation of Benge - and BAC as a continuation of that. Most notably, the current Buffet-Crampon monopoly in Europe is controlled by the Meinl family, a continuation of the Langhammer shop.

Sure, you can say he is "unique", but we all reflect our teachers, and I think we should mute our egos enough to admit it.

Got it.

I personally would use the terms “in the school of” or “carrying on the tradition”. Neither need explanation by the statement’s author, nor cause confusion when the successor appears to be a contemporary.

But I don’t get paid to accurately document the industry.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

You might ask there.

Got it.

I personally would use the terms “in the school of” or “carrying on the tradition”. Neither need explanation by the statement’s author, nor cause confusion when the successor appears to be a contemporary.

OK, in deference to your semantic preference: who would you point the OP to as the authoritative resource?

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

You might ask there.

Got it.

OK, in deference to your semantic preference: who would you point the OP to as the authoritative resource?

I wouldn’t.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My simple question went sideways very quickly. I spent some more time flexing my google foo skills and found the answer to my initial inquiry.

In 2009 when David started his workshop Frank was already retired and David was still apprenticing with Frank at the time. Thus the term successor is most likely accurate in its literal usage.

There were some interesting tidbits I found along the way. It appears that James Talbot left a manuscript on flat trumpet that was incomplete or inaccurate and Frank came up with a solution to the issues.

But I will leave any elaboration on that to the experts. I just found it interesting.

Sorry for unintentionally derailing the thread.

And none of this kerfuffle addresses the OP’s question “does anybody know how much this trumpet is worth.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: