• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Finding the 'Sweet Spot'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject: Finding the 'Sweet Spot' Reply with quote

For me it is about being able to play with a vibrant resonant sound. This is created by a balance of core and overtones. Without this balance the sound is dull. This dullness is caused by too much tension in my embouchure. In my warmup I begin with 'Lip flaps'. activating the muscles in the corners of the mouth and then move towards a relaxed buzz (lip vibration), I then transfer the feeling to the mouthpiece. This is followed by lip bends and lip slurs on the trumpet. Short breaks between these steps is essential so the embouchure doesn't get tired and I am ready for the etudes, solos etc.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is a question or instruction, but a person will never find the "sweet spot" if they do not know what they want to sound like. You can do lip bends for life and if your concept of sound is a pinched raspy sound, you'll never successfully assimilate the "sweet spot" into your playing. Listen to greats, record yourself, listen to yourself, listen to greats....repeat.

The aural informs the physical and the physical gets encoded in the aural.
Rbmcneil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the sweet spot is the place in the note that I want to be. To create the sound that relays the message I'm trying so hard to convey. That's what my definition of practice is...to acquire the skill on my instrument needed to create that note. I think that's why so many accomplished players recommend long tones.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Finding the 'Sweet Spot' Reply with quote

trumpet56 wrote:
For me it is about being able to play with a vibrant resonant sound. ...

--------------------------------------
Yes, having a 'good sound' is important. But the 'spot' (embouchure, mouthpiece setting, etc.) needs to be functional for all the playing.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked the other day about me being a pragmatist in my approach to trumpet. I know that in years past my sound was influenced by Wynton's classical albums, which is interesting because for the records I was listening to, he played virtually none of it on Bb.

In any case, when I was at my technical best, I never thought about it too hard other than to always try to play where things were the most relaxed, most focused, and most efficient. For a bit I adopted the idea of playing on the "dark side of the pitch," but ultimately I figured the best place to be was as right up the middle as possible - it's the most resonant, vibrant place you can be.

So how to achieve that? I never gave that much thought either. I just played a lot of long tones, and worked on basic chops technique a fair bit - lots of articulation, lots of lips slurs, and all at a moderate volume and in moderate ranges on the horn - mostly top line F and down.

So far that seems to have worked out ok.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
I talked the other day about me being a pragmatist in my approach to trumpet. I know that in years past my sound was influenced by Wynton's classical albums, which is interesting because for the records I was listening to, he played virtually none of it on Bb.

In any case, when I was at my technical best, I never thought about it too hard other than to always try to play where things were the most relaxed, most focused, and most efficient. For a bit I adopted the idea of playing on the "dark side of the pitch," but ultimately I figured the best place to be was as right up the middle as possible - it's the most resonant, vibrant place you can be.

So how to achieve that? I never gave that much thought either. I just played a lot of long tones, and worked on basic chops technique a fair bit - lots of articulation, lots of lips slurs, and all at a moderate volume and in moderate ranges on the horn - mostly top line F and down.

So far that seems to have worked out ok.

kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
then move towards a relaxed buzz (lip vibration), I then transfer the feeling to the mouthpiece. This is followed by lip bends and lip slurs on the trumpet

So you are doing all these high-effort, forced-approach exercises as a warm-up. You are training yourself to believe that playing requires more embouchure effort than it does. Eliminating buzzing as a warmup exercise did WONDERS for my playing. Same for eliminating lip buzzing, long tones, lip slurs, and bent tones as a major part of the warm-up.

You want to really gain efficiency? When warming up, play the instrument, and its resonances. Not the lips alone or any piece of the instrument. Start with soft pedal resonances ON the full instrument.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Quote:
then move towards a relaxed buzz (lip vibration), I then transfer the feeling to the mouthpiece. This is followed by lip bends and lip slurs on the trumpet

So you are doing all these high-effort, forced-approach exercises as a warm-up. You are training yourself to believe that playing requires more embouchure effort than it does. Eliminating buzzing as a warmup exercise did WONDERS for my playing. Same for eliminating lip buzzing, long tones, lip slurs, and bent tones as a major part of the warm-up.

You want to really gain efficiency? When warming up, play the instrument, and its resonances. Not the lips alone or any piece of the instrument. Start with soft pedal resonances ON the full instrument.

Clear back in my early days as an Army trumpet player, I'd developed a fairly extensive warmup where I would go through everything - long tones, lip slurs, articulation, etc. What I found was that when gig time rolled around, I was starting the gig on chops that were already somewhat taxed - my warmup was more practice than warmup.

I stopped doing all of those things after one day when for some reason or other, I didn't have the time or opportunity to do everything - possibly the situation didn't allow for it from a noise perspective and we needed to stay a bit more quiet.

In any case, I recall that the gig went so much better for me than the last few had, and I realized that I was doing too much playing before the gig.

I'll still work on all of those things, but as part of practice and maintenance - warm-ups are relatively short - just enough to get the chops functioning.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: