• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I'll be good at this when I'm 95

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: I'll be good at this when I'm 95 Reply with quote

I'm approaching eight full years of the comeback, and at an average of 45 minutes a day (work, family, etc., dig into horn time and I am fully OK with that), I have logged about 2,000 hours on the horn.

If we adhere, even loosely, to Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000-hour theory, I have 32 more years to hit that magical mark, at which point I'll be 95. That gives me incentive to take care of myself.

In all seriousness, I am far more focused about it than I was in grades 5-10, know what I want to play and how to study it, and more than anything, have internalized the discipline to get the horn to my lips just about every day. And I certainly feel a degree of mastery, no matter how slight, that I never felt when I was given Arban's pages week after week, year after year back in school.

Maybe my contentment springs from the fact I was not a high school hotshot, just a second chair guy who could keep time and double tongue well enough to play those harmonies. So I had no expectations of killing it when I picked it back up. And I am not counting the hours I spent on the horn as a kid, though they clearly contributed the initial foundation blocks to the comeback.

You're never too old for the growth mindset.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: I'll be good at this when I'm 95 Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:

You're never too old for the growth mindset.

Absolutely. I try to bring it to my playing and musicality every day. There is always some way to get better. Just look at people like Hardenberger, he says he is still working on getting the most out of each note and works every day on that for some time when he starts practicing. Growth mindset even in one of the best.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: