• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enrico

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject: Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz Reply with quote

Why is there so little talk about the Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz mouthpiece? According to some it seems to be much better than the Bach 3C. Easier, darker, better control. More comfortable rim. I am not yet able to evaluate, but it looks very good. Sorry for my bad English.
ebolton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz Reply with quote

enrico wrote:
Why is there so little talk about the Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz mouthpiece? According to some it seems to be much better than the Bach 3C. Easier, darker, better control. More comfortable rim. I am not yet able to evaluate, but it looks very good. Sorry for my bad English.

I remember seeing some threads go past maybe a few months ago. Like ANYTHING mouthpiece related, there were opinions both + and -.

(Your English here is great. There is no need to apologize for speaking more than one language. It's something to be proud of.)
Dave_3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Bobby Shew Jazz mouthpiece, and like it. I find the rim/comfort to be very similar to to a Bach 3C, and really can't tell much, if any, difference.

There is an interview, somewhere on the internet (can't remember where), where Bobby states that the Jazz mouthpiece is similar to a 3D cup. I do find it slightly easier to hit notes above the staff, with the Jazz mouthpiece, than with my Bach 3C.

EDIT: Found that quote from Bobby Shew, comparing his Yamaha Jazz, to his Kelly, Shew-Jazz mouthpiece. It's on the bottom left.

https://www.kellymouthpieces.com/kmbobbyshew/index.asp
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a mouthpiece I often recommend to my private students, it's a great versatile piece at a good price.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Shew mouthpieces Reply with quote

As good as the quality of Yamaha is, the standard worldwide is Bach and it's a tough hurdle to overcome.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing -
Aren't there two Bobby Shew mouthpieces, one for lead playing and another for more general "jazz" playing (whatever the heck that is)?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dave_3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing -
Aren't there two Bobby Shew mouthpieces, one for lead playing and another for more general "jazz" playing (whatever the heck that is)?

Yes, Yamaha makes a mouthpiece labeled Bobby Shew "Lead", and another labeled Bobby Shew "Jazz".

And there is another Bobby Shew "Jazz" mouthpiece, which is made from Lexan, and made by Kelly Mouthpieces.

Last edited by Dave_3 on Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Shew mouthpieces Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
As good as the quality of Yamaha is, the standard worldwide is Bach and it's a tough hurdle to overcome. ...

--------------------
I look at it more as Bach being the 'standard of comparison' - because they are so plentiful and familiar to many people. And in recent history they have been very consistent with sizing and performance.

Bach is usually quite good 'quality', but I don't think it is viewed as the 'standard of quality'.

A somewhat similar situation for automobiles might be using Honda or Toyota as a 'standard of comparison', but that is not to say they are the 'best quality'.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces are made with the Bobby Shew rim. I'm not sure how different the Yamaha version is but I absolutely love the feel of it.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two Yamaha versions are what I was referring to.
Thanks, Dave.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the Shew Jazz for about two years total before I switched to GR. Scans of the Shew Jazz and Bach 3C on the Kanstul comparator showed the cups to look practically identical. I personally like the feel of the rim better than the 3C. I also found the Jazz easier to play in the upper register (I think it has a little tighter backbore). I did struggle a bit with clean articulations. That is why I switched to GR. Your mileage may vary. I think the Jazz is a solid mouthpiece. I turned a few folks in my section on to them.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
enrico

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, the only thing it detects is missing that Bach 3C sizzle. But I don't have many skills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: