• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help Choosing a Bach C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oneillmobile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Help Choosing a Bach C Reply with quote

Hello! I had the pleasure of playing every C Trumpet at J. Landress in NYC today, and unfortunately didn't leave with a horn. I was close to pulling the trigger on two, but couldn't decide and wanted to do a little more research.
They had a Larson, a Yamaha 6445, and a Bach 229/25R that I didn't much care for. I also played a 229/25H Bach that I didn't bond with.
The three that stuck out to me were the B&S Metropolitan, a 2014 Bach Philly 229, and a 1972 Bach 239/25C. I ended up eliminating the B&S due to cost and not liking the sound quite as much as the Bachs.
My first favorite was the '72 239, which had the best sound, especially when pushed. It definitely put the biggest smile on my face. The only issue was I had trouble keeping it in tune, and found that while I liked the sound at a mezzo forte and above, I had trouble backing off and playing something quieter. I also have some anxiety about buying a vintage horn vs. a newer one in terms of long term reliability.
The Philadelphia C was easier to play in tune, more comfortable at low volumes, and a much newer instrument. I miss some of the sound of the 239, but felt like it was a more practical option.
I also wonder if the tuning issues on the 239 were more me or the horn. I haven't played C in a long time, and don't have great pitch to start with on Bb.
My questions are: are there other horns I should check out that might combine the strengths of these horns? and is there something special about the "corporation" era Bachs compared to contemporary ones? Finally, does anyone have experience with the Bach "Artisan" C trumpet? I am exclusively looking at the used market, and an Artisan can be had for only a few hundred more.
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Bach 239/25 C back in 1979. I liked it better than the 229/25H versions I compared with it. I thought it was OK. Later, I swapped the leadpipe for a Blackburn 19-350 with the rounded tuning slide. It was my favorite horn to play after that.

For me, the Bach 239 w. the Blackburn leadpipe was great.

I also had a chance to play a Bach Chicago one time and was impressed with it. The new 25 C pipe on those (I think they call it a 25CC) is an improvement, in my opinion. I think that's the pipe on the Philly with the difference between the Chicago and Philly being the Chicago has a lightweight 229 bell and the Philly a standard weight 229.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big C trumpet guy or a Bach guy, however, I'll put a couple cents in as far as overall testing.

Things that I would buy into from testing: Sound, response, flexibility, stability, maybe intonation - depending, and a general feel for the horn.

These are things that you can get a sense from pretty quickly and aren't too hampered by a lack of familiarity as much as others.

Things that would turn me off during testing that I'd put stock in: stuffiness, how easy the upper register feels (maybe part of stuffiness), some really problematic notes in terms of response or intonation, general fairly prominent intonation issues, no resonance in the sound, etc.

There are things that really only come with familiarity with a horn, like getting a good handle on dynamic control or for horns that aren't extremely hard slotting, maybe accuracy - in my opinion.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be that you're overthinking it?

A few questions:

1. How good are you?
2. Where/how will you be using this C
3. What are your expectations out of the horn?

The fact that you've created this thread gives me an idea about question 1. Question 2 is completely in the air.

Question 3 - that's really the crux of the matter. Just what do you expect out of it - it certainly isn't going to play itself.

C trumpets have different intonation issues than Bb trumpets have. For that matter, every single trumpet anyone ever buys is going to have at least a couple of minor quirks. For those, the player overcomes them by working with the horn, learning what those quirks are and how to handle them, then developing consistency in the practice room.

I just don't overthink this kind of thing anymore. I just recently bought a C trumpet that I'm actively using in an orchestra. I paid a pittance for it comparatively, and I bought it sight unseen - I ordered it online. Of course I have my friend Trent Austin who vouched for it, but it's a humble Brasspire Unicorn C trumpet in silver plate.

Dunno - maybe I'm over-simplifying things, but this horn seems to do just fine. Sure, it has a quirk or two, but it's a C trumpet - I expected that. Otherwise, it sounds fine with the section where I'm using it - it fits right in.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll reply with my comment from your reddit post. It's been a while since I needed a c trumpet, but here was my experience.
I really like a 239 with a 7r pipe., but that's me. I just don't like the sound or feel of the 229 or the 25 pipes. To me the 7r has better slotting and intonation and a bit less stuffy and I just love the sound of the 239 bell. Really reminds me of how the 72 bell sounds on the Bb. A 238 would be a bit darker but to me project a bit less and spread a bit more, but I like the sound of the 38 bell still.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
oneillmobile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProAm wrote:
I got a Bach 239/25 C back in 1979. I liked it better than the 229/25H versions I compared with it. I thought it was OK. Later, I swapped the leadpipe for a Blackburn 19-350 with the rounded tuning slide. It was my favorite horn to play after that.

For me, the Bach 239 w. the Blackburn leadpipe was great.

ProAm, did you find better tuning with the Blackburn pipe? What made you make the switch?
oneillmobile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Could it be that you're overthinking it?

A few questions:

1. How good are you?
2. Where/how will you be using this C
3. What are your expectations out of the horn?

1. I was the principal in a decent orchestra in at a small college three years ago and am getting back into it after taking a break since then. I practice about 45 mins per day on average. I consider myself an intermediate.

2. In church, accompanying an organ mostly. I am also going to use it in two small chamber music ensembles. All of those settings involve music written for C and I have just been transposing. Hence the desire to get a C.

3. I want something that is reliable and produces a sound that is pleasing to my ears and the ears of the listener. I am also currently playing a 1970's Olds Ambassador Bb trumpet, which while great, is still a student level horn and I think the settings I am in call for something a little more professional. This also may be silly, but music isn't a form of income for me. It is only something that brings me joy. So I am looking for a horn that I love playing, that has a certain inspirational quality too it.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a 239 for years and really enjoyed it.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally: Trying C trumpet when you haven't played C trumpets in a while is challenging because the C trumpet (typically) has a different feel to it. Intonation is different as well. It's hard to know what right is. I'd be inclined to lean toward a relatively "standard" set up from a popular brand (which you could easily sell), give yourself time to acclimatize to the C trumpet, and then look around in another year or to see if there is a better fit for you.

Quote:
My questions are: are there other horns I should check out that might combine the strengths of these horns?

There is no way for me to know what work well for you. When I was looking for a new C trumpet some years back I played just about every horn I could get my hands on at ITG. There are so many good horns out there. I found nice ones from Adams, Bach, Getzen, Larson, Powell, Schilke, Shires, Stomvi, Van Laar, Yamaha....

For ME, the standouts were the Bach Artisan, Bach Chicago, Shires 4F and the Yamaha New York. All incredible horns. Honorable mention to the Bach Philly model and the standard Bach 229 with the C leadpipe. The Yamaha was WAY too expensive, making the Bachs a relative bargain (with the Shires in between).
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oneillmobile wrote:
ProAm, did you find better tuning with the Blackburn pipe? What made you make the switch?

Yes - better tuning, better sound, and a more open blow.

The 239/25 was my first C. It felt fine at first but later the 25 pipe felt really tight. The Blackburn pipe made everything better for me.

I still played the top space E 12 and Eb 23 even though open and 2nd could work. I preferred sitting on top of the pitch using those "alternate" fingerings. I consider that "standard" fingering for those pitches on just about any C.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oneillmobile wrote:

3. I want something that is reliable and produces a sound that is pleasing to my ears and the ears of the listener. I am also currently playing a 1970's Olds Ambassador Bb trumpet, which while great, is still a student level horn and I think the settings I am in call for something a little more professional. This also may be silly, but music isn't a form of income for me. It is only something that brings me joy. So I am looking for a horn that I love playing, that has a certain inspirational quality too it.

You need a better testing plan.

1. Understand your Olds Bb trumpet better. Find another trumpet player who has a Xeno and have them play your Ambassador alternating with their Xeno - in a large "live" room. 15 or 20 years ago I did this and found that, compared to a Xeno, the Ambassador has a very dark sound.(I guess you could do it with a Bach - but the difference is more apparent with the Xeno.)
Is this the sound you want in a Bb?
Is this the sound you want in a C.
Do you want your C and Bb to have approximately the same sound?
Quote:
...and don't have great pitch to start with on Bb.

2.Check your mouthpiece gap on the Ambassador and consider the mouthpiece you are using.
3. When you say "inspirational" are you implying "heroic" or "singing"?
4. A different mouthpiece for the C might make some of the issues you described - better. Different throats and or backbores generally do not "fix" intonation problems or problems with how a trumpet responds at different volumes - but they can make those problems easier to control.
5. I would suggest you get your Bb sorted out first and be sure you have a clear concept of the sound you want. Your Bb then becomes your reference horn when comparing C trumpets. You go back and forth playing the same test passages (transposed) .All C trumpets are then compared to your Bb rather than to each other.
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I play a Yamaha NY Gen II for my C, I’ve always had a soft spot for the Bach Philadelphia C trumpets!
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don’t feel comfortable with those instruments , do not buy any of them. That’s easy.

Finding a C you like takes times time and a lot of patience. Of all my 6 C’s there’s only 1 I’m not happy with and it’s up for sale. The rest I love playing.

A colleague recently had his much altered 229/7R modified to a 238/7R with a hidden reverse and normal finger hook. It was reassembled without stress and the bell tail and ports on the valve casing opened up, straightened, rounded, etc. The result was a pretty garbage horn is now stunning.

So his other, very very good 229/25H - which I actually considered buying (yes!) now feels bland, stuffy and nasal. This has been a 20 year journey for him to find a good C…

Patience, grasshopper.

Cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: