• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Favorite custom Schilke mouthpiece?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagyarQ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Favorite custom Schilke mouthpiece? Reply with quote

Favorite custom Schilke mouthpiece you've played or owned? This is just for fun, but if you have something for sale, PM me. I'm a Schilke mouthpiece nut. My main is 22A2D (25 throat) and a 22E with a 23 throat. Lately a 24 from the early 70's (gold plated). My custom collection sizes go from a 9A4A through 22E3D. Craziest one is a 22AA3D (gold plated).

Not interested in Yamaha or others - just Schilke.
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing too crazy. I own two Schilke 11AX’s, trumpet shank, for piccolo trumpet. Both shanks were shortened slightly and had plating removed after I received them to better fit in my Yamaha receiver. One of these pieces also had lots of its weight removed by the Schilke factory, the same style as the “Z Series” commercial pieces.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 A4a goldplate for my Eb Schilke cornet and same for Eb/D Trumpet
16C4 - a pair with 20 and 24 throats, cut for sleeves to fit my several Bb's and CL 239 25
14 A4X for the Kanstul 920 Bb/A/G pic
16B4 with Olds cornet wide shank for my Olds cornets
16C4 for the other cornets

Lotsa ordinary stuff, up to a Schilke 24 trumpet piece. Good to use to wash out old laundry in!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Miketpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a gold 11A with an 11L backbore that Scott Laskey made me when he was at Schilke. Great picc piece for the Yamaha 9820C!

Mike
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 16F flugel mouthpiece that I like a lot - I don't think it's available as anything other than a special order anymore.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite custom Schilke mouthpiece? Reply with quote

MagyarQ wrote:
Favorite custom Schilke mouthpiece you've played or owned? This is just for fun, but if you have something for sale, PM me. I'm a Schilke mouthpiece nut. My main is 22A2D (25 throat) and a 22E with a 23 throat. Lately a 24 from the early 70's (gold plated). My custom collection sizes go from a 9A4A through 22E3D. Craziest one is a 22AA3D (gold plated).

Not interested in Yamaha or others - just Schilke.

I have 12 Schilkes....
A)Trumpet: 11/11 A/14/14D3D(custom made for me)/14B/14A4A
B)Cornet: 11/11E/14/14D3D (custom made for me)/14B/14A4C

Currently in use: Cornet 14D3D and trumpet 14B (lead bigband)
I was never able to use the 14A4A when playing trumpet. A weird mpc.
But it was custom made to a pro long long time ago (Forrest Buchtel??).

I switched to Schilkes after having played on V B 1 1/4C for 25 years- because they provide, me behind, a somewhat softer sound and have much more comfy rims. I´m very sensitive to rims - at least nowadays.
I.e. for some time I tried the Schilke 15 A - killing my chops in the middle of a concert. Luckily enough I then could pull out a plain 14 from my emergency kit - thereby saving my day Not to mention the audience´s.
So I handed it over to a young lady in the band - who just loves it....
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have a different understanding of what a "custom" mpc is, so . .

Schilke Model H/11 in H.S., first years in college, then jump a couple o decades and back to it for a while. Played in every type of classical and jazz ensemble. Versatile.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
HoosierBrass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing custom but I have played many Schilke mouthpieces (and still prefer Schilke overall) and am curious to try the Z series mouthpieces.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I must have a different understanding of what a "custom" mpc is, so . .

Schilke Model H/11 in H.S., first years in college, then jump a couple o decades and back to it for a while. Played in every type of classical and jazz ensemble. Versatile.

I can understand that. The OP probably meant "in regular use". I meant by "custom made" a mouthpiece that was built upon a request from me, having been in close contact with the guys at Schilke.
But I may be wrong
Anyway: why use Schilkes, if I may hijack the thread just a little?
For me - the rim and the softer sound.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
atrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one Schilke (14a4 I think), but aside from the longer shank I really don't care too much for it. Prefer my warburtons, Currys etc. What am I missing and should I try to give them a better shot in your view?

Mostly musicals and church gigs with the occasional jazz jam
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried a LOT of mouthpiece over the years. Since 1974, I've always played Schilke. Both my parents are brass players though and can't stand them. It's just like horns, what works for one fails for another.

What I especially like about them beyond the fact that the edge contour that works so well for me and not for others, is the level of advice and support available from Schilke when looking for a mouthpiece to help in some way.

Byron Autrey played a simple Schilke 15 for 50 or 60 years - though for many of them with a custom backbore he had the tooling for in his shop (it's now in Kansas City)

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
MagyarQ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Favorite custom Schilke mouthpiece? Reply with quote

Good question & reply. Schilke has thinner rims, which I prefer most of the time. If you like what you're playing on - DON'T CHANGE!

If you want a variation on what you play on, there are some comparison charts that at least give you ball parks.

The Schilke catalogues break it down further to rim contour and backbores.

Schilke's sizing are like bra sizes: smallest # is the smallest cup diameters, Cup depth; A is shallowest, E and F are deepest. Bach and others are the opposite.

I mentioned custom sizes to see if other folks have had Schilke build them something outside the catalogue size.
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Schilke labeling system was created by Will Scarlett (formerly w the CSO) back in the early '60's. It's not the most accurate at times, but it works and is the best that could functionally work. Like for instance, you'd think the 13A4a has a cup that's just slightly smaller than the 14A4a...not so...the cup depths vary from piece to piece as do the cup shapes. The smallest cup is the 6A4a but the second smallest is the 13A4a...etc...

Here's a bit of Schilke MPC model info:

The models 24, 22, 20 & 18 were all Mr. Schilke's personal models-all varying in cup depth. He would use them with Delrin rims, 24 throats and Schmidt backbores.

The 20D2d was a copy of Mager's piece from the 1930's, a huge piece from a time when the majority of Symphonic players were still using smaller sizes.

The 18C3d was a copy of Herbert L Clarke's piece

The 16C4 was made for Thomas Stevens as a "pops" model

The 16C2 is a copy of Thomas Stevens NY 1c which had a more rounded rim

The 16 is a copy of Will Scarlett's NY 1c

The 14C2 is a copy of William Vacchiano's modified NY Bach 1 1/4 c

The 14A4a-initially made for Forrest Buchtel in 1969 when he was playing lead on Woody Herman's band-the current (last 40 years) runs of this model bare almost no resemblance to the original design which had a nice undercut below the rim and a more open backbore, loosely based on a Purviance design

The 13A4a made for Mike Vax in 1970 when he was on the Kenton band initially had a very steep and pronounced undercut and a semi-V cup, vax was using a Reeves 42SV but didn't like the rim so, Mr. Schilke made a model that had a slightly flatter contour

The 13B was made for Chicago based Trumpeter Frank Lisanti

The 12 model was made for Chicago based artist Joe Summerhill back in the 1950's

The 11 model is basically Bud Herseth's NY Bach 7B

The 10A4a, I believe, was either made for Lloyd Michaels or Frank Minear

The 6A4a, is loosely based on a design used by Bill Chase, however, the REAL 6A4a was initially copied from a custom Jet-Tone made by Ray Amado back around 1963. It had a semi-flat cushion rim with a medium bite and a nice undercut below the rim bite, the cup was a small convex design that Schilke "tweaked" the throat venturi was a #26 and the backbore which begins as an 'a" expands to almost a Schmidt shape. This design is now available as a custom piece from Schilke.
MagyarQ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chase1973 - EXCELLENT. Thank you for this.
coraltrpt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old Schilke “V” model I got from the Byron Autrey estate. It’s a cool historical piece.
MagyarQ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your replies!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an old Schilke chart, ref Lewellen:
Model 9 16.33 .643"41/64" 26 (Formerly Model "B") Designed for Edward B. Lewellyn, former principal trumpet player of the Chicago Symphony. Standard characteristics allow for full penetrating tone quality.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
From an old Schilke chart, ref Lewellen:
Model 9 16.33 .643"41/64" 26 (Formerly Model "B") Designed for Edward B. Lewellyn, former principal trumpet player of the Chicago Symphony. Standard characteristics allow for full penetrating tone quality.

It sounds so reasonably sized still in the specs - but when I try to play on one WOW does it feel small! (of course I use a 17d4d.....)

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
kurth83

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd weigh in.

I'm a comeback classical player going through my first mouthpiece safari (now that I am older I also have more $$), and generally love Schilkes. Explored Curry also, but didn't like the bach rims so much, I am just too used to the Schilkes at this point.

My first Schilke custom was 40ish yrs ago, a 15B with a 21 throat, played on that one for a long time, in retrospect I didn't do myself any favors with that one, it was my teacher's idea...

My next Schilke custom was 20ish yrs ago:
15 custom - Scott Lasky's marvelous clone of a CGP onto a Schilke 15B rim (that's the rounded rim). I played in local community orchestras on this one for a few years. It's too big for me now, although I might grow back into it at some point. I also used the CGP back then for big band work and it was fantastic.

The newer ones all made this year:
14D3D-22 a more modern attempt to combine Claude's principles (deepish V cup, open backbore and 22ish throat) with a 14 rounded rim. It was too open, so a failure. Schilke doesn't do V cups so I just did the D cup.
13D3D-22 same as above but on a 13 rounded rim, this one blows fantastically well, gets that fat dark sound on a smaller rim and has a nice high range too, but it's too small for me, I can't avoid an airy tone down low when I get a little tired. It does make a C or D trp sound wonderful though. I have my eye on a G and a pic, this piece might work well there.

14-22 - A straight 14 with a 22 throat, love this one, feels fantastic, beautiful tone, but a little bright, looking for a darker symphonic sound. This was my first modern success for an all-around piece.
14D-24 - A straight 14 with the D cup and a 24 throat, my best effort so far, beautiful darker tone. I learned a deeper cup likes a slightly smaller throat to avoid the too-open feeling. I am also liking the regular Schilke rims over the rounded ones.

So I have 13's 14's and 15's each with the B cup, the C cup, and the D cup, in variations of throat sizes from 21 up through 24. The B cups have 21 holes, 22 for the C's, and the D cups like slightly smaller throats (24ish) to make the mouthpiece feel similar but with a darker tone. I find smaller rims also benefit from a larger throat and backbore, they feel less constricted to me.

And the winner is... The 14D-24 so far, the safari is not over yet... and I am in comeback training so what works today might not be best a year down the road.
David Miller

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two favorite custom Schilke pieces made by Scott (RIP)…

A (ca. late 80s) 10A4A rim with a 10A4A bottom (cup and shank) and a 10C4 bottom with a 72 backbore - which Karl recently reminded me is similar in shape to the Bach 10 (a smaller Schmidt shape). I can’t believe I played this one in HS (oh, the good old days).…

…and a (ca. mid-90s) 13 star “s” 4 with a 39L backbore. I wish I hadn’t lost (and forgotten) my notes on how Scott specifically described this one (in his own words), but both Chris and Karl recently shared with me that the star cup is an “A” with more of an inner edge and the bottom half shaved (deepened, enlarged, roomier, more bowl shaped, between A and B cups) to prevent bottoming out, give more support to the chops, and has relieved upper edges allowing for a fallout zone for the chop. "The little “s” means a more open entrance to the throat to counter a little of the resistance. The 39L backbore is more open than the Schilke A backbore, shaped like a Bach 10 but tighter, opening up a bit more under the throat, and creates a bit more center and focus being a longer backbore but with a distinct focus to balance the top half of the piece."

Thanks Chris and Karl… and Scott!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: