• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lynn Nicholson (Maynard Ferguson Lead player)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baltostar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn only played for Maynard in 1974 correct ? Why such a short time ?

At that time I was in junior high school, but I remember in high school when I started going to MF concerts that the word was bandmember pay was on the low side. ( Of course by today's standards even the 1974 median family income of $11K seems absurdly low. ).

I'm not sure if Maynard picked-up any expenses. Anyone know ? So sounds like it wasn't a realistic option for most. I think Stan got a bit more than the rest.

From what I can gather, after Lynn left MF he played in Vegas shows for a decade, during which time his chops were partially trashed, and even after quitting as a pro it took another decade to fully heal.

Did Lynn used to post here ?
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baltostar wrote:
Lynn only played for Maynard in 1974 correct ? Why such a short time ?

At that time I was in junior high school, but I remember in high school when I started going to MF concerts that the word was bandmember pay was on the low side. ( Of course by today's standards even the 1974 median family income of $11K seems absurdly low. ).

I'm not sure if Maynard picked-up any expenses. Anyone know ? So sounds like it wasn't a realistic option for most. I think Stan got a bit more than the rest.

From what I can gather, after Lynn left MF he played in Vegas shows for a decade, during which time his chops were partially trashed, and even after quitting as a pro it took another decade to fully heal.

Did Lynn used to post here ?

Lynn always returns my email requests for advice. We're also Facebook buddies and he even remembers my birthday. That is an incredible thrill.

When your chops are working right? You will sound much like Lynn does. As his mechanics are absolutely excellent. Also, he plays a lot higher than most cats who have the big sound that he has. I've learned much about both trumpet and life in general from Lynn. As to why he only stayed that short year on Maynard's band? I still don't know the answer. There were hundreds of rumors going around and none of them were true. As everybody on Maynard's band liked Lynn. And he always got along well with Stan Mark too.

Maynard wanted him to become an international star. I speculate that Lynn's interests are wider than just music. It also takes a certain personality to be a successful bandleader. Maybe he's a more laid-back kind of fellow. He is married currently and very happy. This is his first marriage.

My advice: Respect his privacy. He is a much sought-after teacher and probably receives too many requests for help. A couple years ago I was writing him fairly often. Due to my embouchure injury. Guess that I was just groping for help. I'm in a much better place today. So out of respect for him, I don't contact him these days but maybe once in a blue moon. Or on his birthday.. After all, He's a celebrity. We should cut the guy some slack. He's one of the few stars who is really much like an average Joe. That and very warm & friendly. Thus I don't like to take advantage of his generosity.

But here's something you could do! Try his mouthpieces. They may work well for you. Also, his advice on mouthpieces is absolutely spot on. Keep in mind that he says if your mouthpiece and chops are correct for you? You'll not need any practice for chop maintenance. Maynard was like this too! He never practiced! WHile this isn't the proper thing for developing players to do? It is a condition found in the chops of great players. I believe that Harry James was able to take months off and return to touring like nothing had happened.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
baltostar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't planning on contacting Lynn. I'm just curious why his career didn't go where people expected it to. I suspect it was money. The 70s wasn't kind to jazz musicians especially not big bands.

As far as maintaining your chops I think the old adage better safe than sorry is appropriate here. There's probably a bunch of ex pro athletes who don't train anymore who could get out on the field/court and smoke most active amateur players. But they also might blow out their ACL or Achilles or hamstring.

I know that I stretch literally 10x more in my 50s than I did in my 20s. In fact I don't even attempt anything athletic unless I do a bunch of stretches first.

Maynard never practicing is not a good example because MF had a show every night and that was his practice.
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Lynn only played on Maynard's band for 1974, prior he was discovered in Chicago by Bill Chase playing with the Bobby Christian Big Band...he was a sub on the Chase band for a couple months to fill in for Joe Morrisey who was unable to join until the end of Sept (1973). Lynn left MF over Maynard's refusal to give Lynn a raise...Lynn told me he was always chasing the $$$$ back in the day and has some regrets over that as he would only stay w bands for brief periods including Toshiko, Buddy, Thad Jones-Mel Lewis, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: