• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha 11B4 Trumpet Mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktrha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Yamaha 11B4 Trumpet Mouthpiece Reply with quote

I have been playing trumpet for 40+ years, I started with Yamaha student model trumpet / Yamaha 11 trumpet mpc came with trumpet and ever since, I can not even guess how many trumpets / mouthpieces I have ever tried. One of my teacher R.I.P. Mr. Armando Ghitalla told me he tried 700~800 trumpets at least so far in 1991. He said, “Let’s not talk about mouthpieces, we go our own path.”

I kept buying mpcs / trumpets since I could tax wright off and especially after no more child support. My life is up and down, one point I had nothing but Trumpet God loves me, I get these pipes no matter what.

Anyway I read article in here Trumpet Herald saying late Fred Mills (R.I.P.) was using Yamaha 11B4. So I was like “What ?!”, I ordered 11B4 from Amazon since I have never found mouthpiece I love. In this year before 11B4, I bought Bob Reeves 42SV69, Yamaha Eric Miyashiro 1, 13B4, 14A4a, 3 X Bach 3Cs (since Bach mouthpieces aren’t consistent, what an expensive hobby!)…. also compared with other older mpcs I already had…. the winner is 11B4 ! On all criteria of mouthpiece checking list, range, tone, flexibility, how I feel on lips of smoothness / bite, endurance etc….

I use Bach model 25 (L bore), Conn Connstellation, Conn student model trumpet (made by Yamaha) and Stomvi Silver pic… at this point I only played indoors and never tried on gigs yet. But so far winning mpc for all is 11B4 !

Since 11B4 is default kind of mouthpiece comes with Yamaha student model trumpet etc, I haven’t thought even try once. At first I felt it’s too small to control, no ease on lower range but problems were gone quickly (same on Eric Miyashiro 1).

I know it’s just my opinion YMMV and who knows what I will think next week !?

Let us hear your opinion.

Keiichi
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with Yamaha mouthpieces.
I started also on trumpet with the 11B4. Years later I changed to the 14B4 and now I play the 14D4. But in the meantime I collected and tried a lot of other mp's but they didn't last.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and again, in brass world there are no "beginner" mouthpiece nor "pro" mouthpieces.. just different sizes and quality of production.
Nothing wrong with an 11B4.. a well balanced middle of the road mouthpiece. Put in beginner trumpet cases because it's middle (like a Bach 7C).. neither large nor small with a nice C shaped cup. I've had a lot of successful use with students on 11B4's and 14B4's.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Keiichi. Glad you found a mpc that works for you!

My mpc safari has effective ended, too. I started with the smaller or "more compact" mpcs, heeding the advice of Jens Lindemann. But, I slowly kept moving to larger mpcs and have settled on Schilke 17 and 17D4d4 trumpet mpcs for my '64 Connstellation 38B, and a 17F for my Jupiter 846S flugelhorn. My other mpcs will eventually find their way to TH Marketplace.
Schilke 17& 17D4d4 trumpet mpcs
Schilke 17F flugelhorn mpc
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little story with miuthpieces. I was playing a yamaha bboby shew jazz, but I didn't feel comfortable. my technique sucked too. I bought a friend two bob reeves mouthpieces the 42m and the 3c classic series. I finally decided on the classic 3c and I spent about two years with it.

Over time I thought it would be a good idea to go back to something smaller, I had lent a 7c bach to another friend, in the drawer I had the yamaha 11b4, I love it more every day.

I recently joined a rock group, I share a section with a trombone, and I noticed that my sound lacked power or brilliance, I can't describe it exactly. then I went back to the drawer and found the bob reeves 42m and a gr64s.

Both mouthpieces give me that sound, but the bob reeves tires me more. Now for the group I am playing with the gr64s and for the rest, which is basic, it is my daily practice and a jazz learning combo, I use the 11b4.

My conclusion is that before doing any mouthpiece safari it is better to take a look at the drawers, it is unbelievable how the perception of a mouthpiece changes over time.

It is possible that in a while I will give another chance to the yamaha boby shew

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: