• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Period mouthpieces for vintage instruments

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Period mouthpieces for vintage instruments Reply with quote

Just watched a video by Jonathan Milam where he uses a vintage Olds 3 mouthpiece with his vintage Olds cornets. I found it rather curious how well the Olds mouthpiece seemed to work with both cornets, especially the Super, compared to the ones he used earlier in the video.

Do any of you prefer to a use period mouthpieces with your vintage instrument, or are modern mouthpieces better? And a question more specific for myself: has anyone played an Olds mouthpiece with an Olds Recording trumpet?

Last edited by deleted_user_687c31b on Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not impressed. Certainly I did not hear what you heard.
BTW the Curry BBC (means Brass Band Cornet) is a more tradional cornet mp, not really made for a Special or Super cornet. The Curry DC (Deep Cornet) is not deep and not better than any Bach 7C or so.
The Olds 3 has let's say mixed reviews, both for trumpet and cornet:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1596754
look for the short comment of Mark Sailors.

For your Recording trumpet I should not think one millisecond about a period mouthpiece.
Better change the AR mp for a more playable one.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
I'm not impressed. Certainly I did not hear what you heard.

Granted, I listen on laptop speakers most of the time. Compared to the other mouthpieces he used in the video, it seemed to me the olds mouthpiece gave him better attacks and a slightly nicer tone, at least on the Super. If nothing else, it seemed to help him 'get in the right mood'. But I could be mistaken, I don't have a good ear.

delano wrote:
For your Recording trumpet I should not think one millisecond about a period mouthpiece.
Better change the AR mp for a more playable one.

It was more a question of curiosity than need. I have no desire to replace my current mouthpieces.

Thanks for the link.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are horns where nothing else works as well as a period mouthpiece. My 1937 Cleveland Toreador trumpet certainly works best with a Cleveland T mouthpiece. But them I'm a huge fan of the Cleveland mouthpieces. Same goes for the Cleveland C mouthpiece working with the Clevelander cornet.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
There are horns where nothing else works as well as a period mouthpiece. My 1937 Cleveland Toreador trumpet certainly works best with a Cleveland T mouthpiece. But them I'm a huge fan of the Cleveland mouthpieces. Same goes for the Cleveland C mouthpiece working with the Clevelander cornet.

The mouthpiece offerings include throat sizes from #21, 24,26 and 27.

https://www.saxophone.org/museum/publications/id/641

1938 Catalog of King Band Instruments
see page [15]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: