• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I'm looking for an old trumpet case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presto

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: I'm looking for an old trumpet case Reply with quote

Hello internet,
I recently purchased an nice silver plated King trumpet from around the 1920’s. It’s a bit old but it plays well. The only thing it that it’s missing it’s original case. Anyone know where to find an old trumpet case? I’ve tried shops near me but none have a case from the period and I can’t seem to find any on the internet. Thank you!
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting an original case from that time period that isn't already used by a horn from that time period will be tough I think. When I was looking for an Olds cornet case, some people here suggested Goodwill for a cheap used instrument that came with a case, and use that case, while donating the instrument to a school band or something.

As an alternative suggestion, my Olds Recording didn't have a case (well, not an original one). I managed to find a reproduction Olds badge on eBay and added that to a modern Protec case, which gives it a matching look that's quite nice, if I do say so myself (not to mention it's a more practical).
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there are a few eBay sellers who claim to focus on supplying period cases. You just have to watch a while.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll offer an alternative view: old cases aren't very protective. My Recording has the original case and the horn kind of slides around in it. If you're going to carry it frequently, I would suggest a modern case. Getzen has a wooden Gladstone style case that looks great (if you don't mind the Getzen badge on it): https://www.getzen.com/accessories/instrument-cases/

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a case junkie.

If you're going to keep it around the house and for nostalgia reason, I like the option of buying a cheap horn but with a vintage case you like. Maybe even seeing if you can find a badge of your horn to put on the case.

Just be aware that old cases can often have a musty smell you can't get rid of and that the seller won't mention that unless you specifically ask. I dropped $300,00 for a pristine looking Committee case but, unknown to me, smelled to high heaven.

If it's a commuter horn, I'd look into a Torpedo Bag, Protec, Gard or whatever floats your boat'

https://torpedobags.com/product/outlaw/
https://www.protecstyle.com/brasswind/trumpet/gear/Instrument-Cases
https://www.gardbags.com/en/brasswind/trumpet

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: