• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ken Titmus KT Backbores

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Ken Titmus KT Backbores Reply with quote

Check out Ken's web site. I just received his RT3 backbore and it is terrific with my Curry C60 top.

https://ktcustommouthpiece.com/lead-trumpet-backbores/
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Warburton KT backbore . I really like.

I assume that these KT are Warburton specification threads.
krell1960
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
I have a Warburton KT backbore . I really like.

I assume that these KT are Warburton specification threads.

Me too, Love the KT backbore !!

BTW, how do these differ from the original Warburton KT backbore, specifically, that is?

thanks

tom
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW, how do these differ from the original Warburton KT backbore, specifically, that is? thanks tom

https://ktcustommouthpiece.com/lead-trumpet-backbores/ Take a look at this web page. Ken did some tricky things in the throat, different from the Warburton KT.
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody experienced using the KT with what I play on..a 4M top? I play a 7 backbore,have tried the 5 which seemed OK tried an 8 which seemed a bit too spread,and both times, right back to the 7..I also have the throat open to a large 26,almost 25..Thanks
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

american boy wrote:
Has anybody experienced using the KT with what I play on..a 4M top? I play a 7 backbore,have tried the 5 which seemed OK tried an 8 which seemed a bit too spread,and both times, right back to the 7..I also have the throat open to a large 26,almost 25..Thanks

The opened up throat costs you compression and air velocity. Ken's new backbores are the antithesis of this. His throats squeeze the airstream to increase velocity. My RT3 "feels like" a Warburton 6 in resistance but is much more efficient in the upper register. I feel like I can back off and relax.
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

american boy wrote:

I own a large variety of Warburton equipment, including a trumpet. My favorite Warburton mpc combo is a stock pre-fire 3MC/kt, bought in 2003. I have three. There are times when I am surprised at how great it plays. Evidently, I like the resistance the KT bb gives. It actually "feels" larger than an 8.

I need to visit KT. His shop is only 12 miles from my house.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic, but I just got 5 Warburton cups off TH with Ken’s customization (creating a little more undercut, adding some girth to the bowl, and altering the throat). THESE ALTERATIONS ROCK.
I’m comparing them to stock pieces, and the altered cups are working much better for me. I can’t imagine getting more core and brighter overtones at the same time, but that’s what it sounds like to me. Very, very impressive.
Kudos to Ken; he obviously knows what he’s doing with mouthpiece cups.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
His throats squeeze the airstream to increase velocity. My RT3 "feels like" a Warburton 6 in resistance but is much more efficient in the upper register. I feel like I can back off and relax.

"velocity" is a detriment to air energy. Trying to "manufacture" velocity with a narrowing of the flow geometry simply increases viscous losses. The air doesn't gain energy through a narrowing. it has less.

(That also applies to lip apertures and tongue arches. Narrowing the flow path is NOT an asset to air energy.)

The main characteristic of the throat variance is how it affects the ACOUSTICS of the instrument. Namely the acoustic coupling of the MP cup to the instrument bore resonance. Decreasing the throat diameter increases the ACOUSTIC impedance of the whole system, making the instrument more efficient and, depending on the players skill, more resistive.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow! How am I just now learning about these?

Ken was the guy who hooked me up a number of years ago with my current lead setup - the 4SVW cup on the standard KT backbore.

I did a consultation over the phone with him where we talked about what horn I was playing on, what equipment I'd used in the past, and where I was looking to go with an equipment change. He also advised me that during acclimation, I'd likely lose a couple of steps of range initially, but that I'd get them back plus some. He was right on the money. If you have any doubt about Ken, don't - the guy absolutely knows what he's talking about from decades of experience working firsthand with players to help them get dialed in.

I've always liked the setup he chose for me - the KT backbore is pretty tight, but I never felt it was detrimental. I wonder if one of these new backbores might actually work a bit better. I might have to give him a call and see what he has to say about it.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: