• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Saolo or Marcus Bonna cup mute for Bb rotary

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beautgrainger147

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Saolo or Marcus Bonna cup mute for Bb rotary Reply with quote

It's not practically possible for me to just find these to try in a local shop.

For a rotary trumpet, in terms of physical fit and playability, which have people had the best experiences with - the Saolo Cup mute, or the Marcus Bonna Cup Mute?
Or have any others worked really well on Bb rotary?

Thank you,
Jonathan
beautgrainger147

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see any videos of the Marcus Bonna cup mute on YouTube.. does anyone here have a video of one?

Thank you,
Jonathan
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus Bonna has made at least two cup designs:

Originally (circa 1990s) there was an adjustable model based on their fiberglass straight with a large vented cup that could be repositioned via small cardboard or foam (I’ve seen both) discs that fit between the cup and the mute base via an interlocking screw. This screw had a tendency to warp the mute, becoming un-threadble over time (happened to both of mine, as well as ones of friends I’ve known) and required a delicate/near/impossible fix of getting a threaded washer inside the st mute base. Great playing mute…when it played.

More recently, MB fiberglass mutes have taken on a more matte appearance - change in materials, manufacturing processes, or both - and a fixed cup model was introduced. Unfortunately, I have not played this one.

I’ve heard good things about the Soulu, but haven’t played one.

What kind of rotary do you have, and what do you need out of the cup? My Bb rotary from Pleischl plays nicely with my H&B mic-a-mute, Mute Meister cup, Wallace adjustable cups, Denis Wick, and others.

Knowing your musical goals, as well as any specifics about your rotary and it’s bell can help us help you. Most cup mutes should fit most bells, though some cork filing and/or cork replacement may be necessary to dial things in.

Happy practicing!
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - Charlie Schlueter uses the (original) MB cup in this video, and it sounds great: https://youtu.be/nqq3hQtCN9A
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
beautgrainger147

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise there are two designs, just figured it was a cosmetic change.
Thank you for posting the video, the sound isn't exactly what I expected.. I guess I shouldn't have made the original question rotary-specific as my use probably isn't what people would tend to buy a rotary for - I just liked a Lidl Rotary in the past, so wanted to acquire another for a combination of casual uses.. jazz combo and swing dance music/ soul/ tango/ playing at Jam nights/ a bit of multitrack recording..

I'm a casual comeback player and pretty much had a sound in mind, something like a Ray Robinson, but ideally available, good intonation, free-blowing, definately light-weight.. the Wallace mutes seem like superb quality but sort of what I'd prize in a trophy mute rather than what I'm after in actual use.

This video of the Soulo Mute is edging me towards the Soulo (combined with all the other videos of it)
https://youtu.be/5726zGKi6oU
beautgrainger147

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trumpet is a Bb Lidl L880? with a 135mm bell, like their current 735G and 745G lineup, but rather than a 3rd slide trigger, there's an inconveniently placed ring on the slide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: