• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Proper Gap For Olds Standard ???

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Proper Gap For Olds Standard ??? Reply with quote

Greetings. Sorry for hogging the Forums these last few days but new horns bring new problems.

I got a '47 Olds Standard and while I'm initially impressed, more time with it allowed for more scrutiny.

I noticed i was blowing a lot more air into it than I'm used to but dismissed it as probably just a bigger bore. Then I noticed a mouthpiece was clicking at the gap.... I mean bottoming out there before being fully gripped by the receiver taper. Then I noticed all my mouthpieces, including 2 Bach, a Mt Vernon and regular bach 7c's were able to wobble a bit and too were also bottoming out.

When i play this on a tuner, notes using the second valve are sharp and I can't pull that slide out enough to bring them down and into tune. I don't know if this too is a symptom of my receiver being on the lead pipe too far.

Anyhow, it's going back in the shop to I guess pull that receiver back. The receiver was butting against a patch on the outside of the lead pipe.

Can anyone tell me what a proper gap distance should be and any experiences they have had with gaps (or lack thereof) affecting tuning ?
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's kind of good news that your gap problem is "too little" gap.

https://bobreeves.com/blog/tag/gap/

The "paper trick" can help you get an approximation of what your gap should be with a particular mouthpiece.

You will then need to do this with all of the mouthpieces you will probably use and write down the results. You will probably find an appropriate gap for you with a specific mouthpiece and a specific trumpet. We don't know what it will be.
Good news, Reeves, Stomvi, Frost and Jim New all have backbores that allow the gap to be increased or decreased.

I think this is the video that shows intonation changes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn58rtyZRtQ
Clicking below will download a PDF file. It shows how changes in the shank size affect the amount of gap with different brands of trumpets.
http://stomvi-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/annulus-gap.pdf
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until serial number 189,611 (1956), all Olds cornets required a larger shank mouthpiece, and later Olds cornets could be ordered with the older shank. This is a common problem for collectors. Alan Rouses excellent Olds Central explains it here:

http://rouses.net/trumpet/cornetmpc/cornetmpc.htm

I own several Olds cornets, and I have found Jet Tone cornet mouthpieces fit older receivers, as well as some Holton cornet mouthpieces, and any Olds cornet mouthpiece made before the date. You can get a Warburton backbore with the Olds specification if you have a few tops, and I have found several old Bach cornet mouthpieces with an "O" on the shank that fit. I also acquired a Schilke mouthpiece with the Olds shank that I like on my Super Recording. But the dollar bill trick does work fairly well in a pinch.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Gap For Olds Standard ??? Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:
Greetings. Sorry for hogging the Forums these last few days but new horns bring new problems.

I got a '47 Olds Standard and while I'm initially impressed, more time with it allowed for more scrutiny.

I noticed i was blowing a lot more air into it than I'm used to but dismissed it as probably just a bigger bore. Then I noticed a mouthpiece was clicking at the gap.... I mean bottoming out there before being fully gripped by the receiver taper. Then I noticed all my mouthpieces, including 2 Bach, a Mt Vernon and regular bach 7c's were able to wobble a bit and too were also bottoming out.

When i play this on a tuner, notes using the second valve are sharp and I can't pull that slide out enough to bring them down and into tune. I don't know if this too is a symptom of my receiver being on the lead pipe too far.

Anyhow, it's going back in the shop to I guess pull that receiver back. The receiver was butting against a patch on the outside of the lead pipe.

Can anyone tell me what a proper gap distance should be and any experiences they have had with gaps (or lack thereof) affecting tuning ?

One thing I always do on any older horn is use a reamer on the receiver, in a gentle way at first. You just don't know what has gone on in that area for the last 50-70 years. A correct receiver reamer can clean up that entrance so your mouthpiece seats correctly .... I have noticed with many older models, some mouthpieces, (aside from Olds models),will "bottom out" on the lead pipe end. Good luck......

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraxas, there is no one correct gap that someone can advise you to use. It varies from player to player based on your horn and set up, how you play and what works best for you. The only way to find out the ideal gap is by trial and error. I'd advise you to get a copy of your mouthpiece and have it fitted for sleeves by Bob Reeves and try different sleeves until you find one that works for you best. I personally like the Reeve sleeves over the Stomvi ones because you can get them in 1/4 sizes from Bob while with Stomvi you can only get 1/2 sizes. 1/4 sizes make a difference in my experience. Good luck with it.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear, this is a trumpet, not a cornet. I am aware of that Olds cornet irregularity on the older models.

I can actually feel the mouthpiece end tapping on solid metal as it goes in. What fooled me at first is that the MPC taper coincidentally just poorly engages at the same point, so it's not like it's falling out. I can however, with very little effort wiggle it back and forth from side to side (not in and out).

I can't imagine that i am NOT getting air leaks around such a poor fit or engagement. I'll take it into the shop today to see what the man says.

This lead pipe has a couple of patches on it and one is right at the joint of the receiver and lead pipe so it appears to me to be a poor job and the repair shop just soldered the receiver where it got jammed against the patch. I think i just need the receiver pulled back whatever you folks think should be a proper gap. Maybe say a 32 nd or 0.020 ?? I don't know and it's what I'm asking cause the gap is zero right now. The mouthpiece end is tapping on the lead pipe apparently.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A gap of about 1/8 inch seems to be often mentioned for Bach mouthpieces.

If the end of the shank is a fairly 'tight fit' in the receiver, but the fit at the outer end of the receiver is loose, that probably means the overall taper of the receiver is slightly off.

Just reaming the end of the leadpipe to increase the gap, might result in there still being a poor fit of the shank in the receiver (because of taper mismatch).
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:
Just to be clear, this is a trumpet, not a cornet. I am aware of that Olds cornet irregularity on the older models.

I can actually feel the mouthpiece end tapping on solid metal as it goes in. What fooled me at first is that the MPC taper coincidentally just poorly engages at the same point, so it's not like it's falling out. I can however, with very little effort wiggle it back and forth from side to side (not in and out).

I can't imagine that i am NOT getting air leaks around such a poor fit or engagement. I'll take it into the shop today to see what the man says.

This lead pipe has a couple of patches on it and one is right at the joint of the receiver and lead pipe so it appears to me to be a poor job and the repair shop just soldered the receiver where it got jammed against the patch. I think i just need the receiver pulled back whatever you folks think should be a proper gap. Maybe say a 32 nd or 0.020 ?? I don't know and it's what I'm asking cause the gap is zero right now. The mouthpiece end is tapping on the lead pipe apparently.

Sorry for the delay - I hit submit too soon.

I assumed it was a trumpet. After 70 years the receiver itself may be worn down reducing the gap somewhat.

There is no need to guess what the gap should be. As I mentioned you can determine a usable gap by inserting a slip of paper between the mouthpiece and the receiver - adjusting for more or less gap. Do it with all of the mouthpieces you use. Pick the mouthpiece with the middle most gap.
Mark the spot on the shank where the mouthpiece end of the receiver is.

Insert a pencil into the receiver to the point that it touches the end of the leadpipe. Mark that point on the pencil. Compare the markings on the mouthpiece shank and the pencil.

That's your approximate gap. You could actually measure that if you have calipers. Depending on how you like your trumpets to slot - expect a measurement between .06 and .14. A gap of .02 would be pretty loose - .20 would be pretty hard slotting and brassy. I like my trumpets at about .10 but that's just me. I don't play much above high C.

Include the marked mouthpiece, and the pencil along with your trumpet to your repair person.

Last edited by Andy Cooper on Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
A gap of about 1/8 inch seems to be often mentioned for Bach mouthpieces.

If the end of the shank is a fairly 'tight fit' in the receiver, but the fit at the outer end of the receiver is loose, that probably means the overall taper of the receiver is slightly off.

Just reaming the end of the leadpipe to increase the gap, might result in there still being a poor fit of the shank in the receiver (because of taper mismatch).

Reaming will make the problem much worse. I've already bottomed out.

Not to worry. Just got back from the shop and was told i can either sand a tiny bit off my mpcs or go in with an exact diameter drill to deepen the receiver. One of my trades is as a machinist so I'm very well equipped for drills, end mills reamers you name it. I am just going to wait for an ordered Curry in the mail. I may decide to just take a shave off the end of my 2 Bach mpcs instead of messing with the receiver gap.

For those who might have the same problem, a potential disaster on soft metals is for the drill to turn into a tap on account of it's sharp corners and get sucked right in. I'll probably grind the point off a drill and dull the edges a bit if i don't have a proper size end mill, should i elect that route.

I simply was asking for a gap number and I'll just assume about 0.020 at this point.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note my edited reply above.

I have shortened mouthpieces to fit receivers. They played OK after i chamfered the inside end of the shank. However, you then have mouthpieces that will only play well with that horn.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have a horn that plays poorly and has more than one patch on the leadpipe. Any thoughts that before you spend more money on the horn to just cut your losses and get another horn?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Bogey Factory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO you should at least try the paper trick before modifying your horn or mouthpieces. I've had better luck using plumber's tape than paper.

Replacing the receiver would be a safer bet than modifying your horn or mouthpiece.

As far as gap numbers go for early Olds horns go I don't know. I have a few Fullerton Era horns and they all gap larger than normal. I don't have them in front of me but going from memory they gap somewhere around .2" and .25". I'm confident my Super and Recording are in that range. I'm fairly certain my Mendez is as well.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
So you have a horn that plays poorly and has more than one patch on the leadpipe. Any thoughts that before you spend more money on the horn to just cut your losses and get another horn?

No. It actually plays well and I won't pass judgement on the intonation as firstly I'm a rank amateur and until the mpcs fit nice, I won't be sure it has anything wrong with it. The two patches on the lead pipe seem well done. The compression is really good for an old gal.

I did take it back to the shop that overhauled it and they concluded that it was I that needed fixing or replacing. Imagine that ?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to use a drill to shorten the leadpipe where it enters the receiver and sanding mouthpieces are both options I'd try really hard to avoid. First I'd have a trusted shop determine if the receiver is to spec (not worn) and that it's attached to the right depth on the leadpipe. And if it then needs a vintage mouthpiece, possibly with a different taper that can be solved without threatening the horn or existing mouthpieces.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Trying to use a drill to shorten the leadpipe where it enters the receiver and sanding mouthpieces are both options I'd try really hard to avoid. First I'd have a trusted shop determine if the receiver is to spec (not worn) and that it's attached to the right depth on the leadpipe. And if it then needs a vintage mouthpiece, possibly with a different taper that can be solved without threatening the horn or existing mouthpieces.

Your point is well taken, but I'm not aware of any 'vintage mouthpiece ' issues such as existed with their early cornets. My access to 'reliable shops' is limited in a small Canadian city of 300 K. The shop does do all the school boards for a greater pop of about 1 million and has for decades.

I would love to know what the 'spec' of the receiver is and is the essence of my question. I think I can almost conclude by all accounts that this brass receiver, over the 75 years of it's life, has gotten flared and is therefore letting mpcs sit too deep.

I am a real machinist with my papers, a lathe , measuring tools and Morse reamers, so I could literally make a new receiver from scratch. I just don't want to open a can of worms either.

i am going to wait until my Curry MPC arrives in the mail before having any settled opinion or conclusion on what the problem is and take it from there.

That elusive 'spec' you mention is what I really need. That and another Forum category on Maintenance and Repairs I have petitioned the Forum Mods for, for years, would be a huge help.

Last edited by Abraxas on Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 39 of this document shows dimensions for Bach mouthpieces, I think the taper for trumpet is based on Morse #1.

https://www.bachbrass.com/application/files/4614/8521/7763/AV2BA901_Original_1889_web.pdf
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Page 39 of this document shows dimensions for Bach mouthpieces, I think the taper for trumpet is based on Morse #1.

https://www.bachbrass.com/application/files/4614/8521/7763/AV2BA901_Original_1889_web.pdf

I have it covered... https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1211296#:~:text=same%20at%20all.-,The%20Bach%20tapers%200.050%22%20per%20inch%2C%20whereas%20Morse%20No,1%20tapers%200.04988%22%20per%20inch.

I'm going to try just putting a single coat of heat shrink on my mouthpieces and biding my time until i figure out what I am going to do with this. I don't like the option of trimming all my MPCs, but replacing or moving the receiver isn't attractive either.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears the folks at Yamaha are saying no gap is preferred, but they and others are designing for 1/8 inch. I take for the sake of safety and to lesson the burden that comes with tight tolerances in brazing.

Having a zero gap is pretty odd though as that would imply the taper is perfectly mated at the very point the mpc makes contact with the lead pipe. Maybe then my trumpet is in actually awesome shape as it is so close now that trimming a 64th should achieve that nirvana.

https://hub.yamaha.com/winds/brass/advanced-instrument-design-and-maintenance-the-mouthpiece-gap/

I'd still LOVE to know what Olds intended for design and manufacturing specs. I take when they auctioned the plant off in '79 either documents weren't part of it or nobody acquired them due to disinterest. maybe they never kept up with engineering records also.
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only read that Yamaha article once, but it seemed to me that Tanabe was very much in favor of a gap. That gap is a huge part of how a Bach or a modern Yamaha (trying very hard to copy Bach playing characteristics) plays.

It has been long time since I have looked at the mouthpipe of one of these very old Olds designs but I do not believe that they have a well-defined ledge at the front of the leadpipe taper. I believe that they have a blended reverse taper or some kind of a smoothed transition out of the receiver. That makes the placement of the Venturi and a "gap" difficult to quantify. Experiment with some shims (or tape) along the side of the shank to reduce the insertion depth or have a mouthpiece cut for sleeves to do your experimentation - remember, this seems just a fishing expedition to see if it helps the instrument. Anything else is asking for problems. (regardless of what tools you have at your disposal.)
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeLoeffler wrote:
I only read that Yamaha article once, but it seemed to me that Tanabe was very much in favor of a gap. That gap is a huge part of how a Bach or a modern Yamaha (trying very hard to copy Bach playing characteristics) plays.

It has been long time since I have looked at the mouthpipe of one of these very old Olds designs but I do not believe that they have a well-defined ledge at the front of the leadpipe taper. I believe that they have a blended reverse taper or some kind of a smoothed transition out of the receiver. That makes the placement of the Venturi and a "gap" difficult to quantify. Experiment with some shims (or tape) along the side of the shank to reduce the insertion depth or have a mouthpiece cut for sleeves to do your experimentation - remember, this seems just a fishing expedition to see if it helps the instrument. Anything else is asking for problems. (regardless of what tools you have at your disposal.)

The fact that Mr. Yami said it used to be that 0 gap is preferred is my flag,,,,, the answer I needed. They that did, just so happened to make the best trumpets in the world, why we collect them, so whatever they used to do is fine by me.

Now saying there is a benefit, slotting, to much more relaxed tolerances is highly suspect.

When companies nail themselves to high precision pursuits their costs go up exponentially. Trying to get a mouthpiece to seat on a taper just at the point it coincidentally bottoms out on a lip has got to be really, really hard, so I take what he says about everyone going to a 1/8 gap for altruistic, quality motives with a ship load of salt. Coincidentally that saves them a ton of time material and effort and increases their profit enormously. The skill set required on the factory floor drops.

If this 1/8 gap is out say 1/32 or 30 thou, that is inconsequential. Nobody would even notice. Being out 5 thou when you have designed for zero, means you can take your batch of lead pipes and receivers to the scrap bin.

I will shave my 0.005 off this week on any mpcs that are just a hair too long now and get my zero, or very near zero gap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: