• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bespoke wooden case for an Adams F5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanDemonian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:32 am    Post subject: Bespoke wooden case for an Adams F5 Reply with quote

I’m hard up trying to find a nice case for an Adams F5

The plan is for it to be a family horn that I can hand it down to on my kids. There’s a lot of sentiment attached and I’m just an amateur, not a pro so aesthetic over protection is the goal.

I want a hard shell wooden presentation case more than a super modern gig bag or one deigned for protection over aesthetics because it’s going to be an heirloom. It feel it needs to be briefcase style if possible with a depth of 16+ cm.

The trouble is that Adams don’t make a case, and I don’t want to put it into a Bach or other brand case. But I still want it to be high quality. Heads up Adams, these are amazing instruments and more than just for pro players - time to invest.

JW 772 N is top of list but it’s a 16cm deep case against a 16cm copper bell. I really loved the G&G Deluxe Glandstone but I can’t find anyone who has one.

Jakob Winter suggested I try this mob who make custom cases. http://www.klawus.de/ I’ve emailed them.

G & G don’t make the flugel cases at the moment and Kantsul are closed now after the takeover anyway.

The Blessing C154 case would probably work but it’s hard to source internationally.

I could also get a second hand Wiseman leather triple from ACB but that’s probably overkill as I’m not planning serious travel or gigging with it.

I can see why most manufacturers market portability and protection and quality over aesthetics in general given the horror stories about horns being damaged in transit but a bespoke display-oriented case would also be a great item that I reckon there is a market for too.

Any alternative suggestions I’d appreciate. I’d rather have a lovey timeless stand-alone case rather than a flugel plus trumpet box.

Thanks!
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a tough one, as most hard cases supplied with instruments or sold as OEM equipment are typically branded AND they're typically of mediocre quality. Schilke makes some nice (branded) hard cases, as does Yamaha, but I'm thinking of those mainly as trumpet cases, not flugel. That you're looking for a Flugelhorn case adds a wrinkle, since the wrap, valve section position, valve slide orientation, and bell diameter vary widely between brands and models of horns.

So, as odd as this sounds, I think your best bet is to set out on some custom work. So long as you can find a luggage maker, or someone who sells custom road cases for cameras and the like, all you need to worry about for the 'shell' is the width of the instrument from either side of the bell rim and from the 'right side' of the bell to the 'left side' of the valve casing. Then get your hands on some memory foam that you can cut out to fit the horn in the case, and add some velvet-like fabric to cover the cut foam. This'll make for a sturdy, safe, and attractive case for the instrument that will be both functional and *bespoke*

Happy to go into more detail or provide some examples of how I've seen other players take on such a project.

Best, and congrats on that great horn!
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. And I can't relate because I see a horn a a tool, so aesthetics don't trump protectivity for me. Yet your goal is interesting to me.

Cases are a distraction for me and I enjoy exploring their diversity. And, unfortunately, I have never come across something like you describe.

Do you understand German? Not to say that they can't come up with something custom for you (I think it might really costly), but right up front their ad states "woodwind instruments".

Additionally, non-branded cases for Flugelhorn are scarce. Have you considered, rather than the expense of a custom case, getting a branded case and having a luggage repair shop to remove the brand plate?

Ironically, I have an Adams Flugelhorn too, but find their provided case both aesthetically pleasing and relatively protective for daily use.

For use, reasonable cost, and assuming it fits (use a shop with a flexible return policy), is the J. Winter JW 772 N Deluxe Wood Flugelhorn Case.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
kintech

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try Wiseman cases. The make wooden french horn cases and carbon fiber cases.

https://wisemanlondon.com/product/wiseman-wooden-french-horn-case/
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the major makers all have cases that look nice (Bach, Yamaha, Jupiter, Carol, etc.). I would bet a shop in Australia could set you up with one or you could find one on the local market. I don't know what holds up over the long haul. These are "nice" cases, often in a black or brown leather look.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha cases are fairly easy to get, at least in the USA. I have my Taylor Standard Flugelhorn in a Yamaha hard case. I expect your F5 might fit too. You could look for one.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: