• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 43 with M/K #4 Sterling Lead Pipe and Sterling TS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
snorsworthy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Bach 43 with M/K #4 Sterling Lead Pipe and Sterling TS Reply with quote

Guys, I have a 190-43 stock trumpet. I loved the trumpet but felt it was not a great legit heavyweight instrument, which it isn't. So I bought an M/K sterling #4 lead pipe (large 0.349" venturi) and an M/K sterling tuning slide and had the lead pipe properly soldered and installed. I am a large-mouthpiece player to begin with, a Bach 1C copy from Joe Pera at the Trumpet shop, with a heavy weighted shank and Schmidt backbore and #24 throat. Well, guess what? Those mods to the trumpet makes this horn now an absolute sledge hammer of massive sound proportions. The dynamic range seems limitless! It puts out 2x the sound at high volume but interestingly it can whisper with beautiful centered sound and core at low volume. It is just an unbelievable combo. It has taken me a couple weeks to adjust to the openness and make the aperture and mouth adjustments to match it. The mid-to-low register is so open you have to be careful to center, but when you do, it is magic. The high register is actually 'easier' than stock, and I felt the stock horn's lead pipe was way too constrictive and inhibited the high range too much. I need a more open venturi to get the high range that I like. So, now that you have heard my story....Tell me what you think. I need to make a recording of some noodling around on it and send it out. --- Steve
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Tell me what you think."
Can't hear with our eyes.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
"Tell me what you think."
Can't hear with our eyes.

From what I can hear there haven’t been any cracked notes and the horn doesn’t stick out in the section.

Seriously, it sounds like you are happy and that is really what matters, IMO.

Last edited by LittleRusty on Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is great that you've found a set up that works well for you! M/K does great work.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always great when you find that perfect fit for you. Enjoy the horn!

The basics of what is involved in the changes are nothing new, but I will echo the prior poster that MK does great work. Those changes clearly have been favored by some players over the years - to a multitude of high-end horns from different makers - I'm just not one of those players. For me, those tweaks are very counterproductive - but that just shows we are all different.

I don't know if you worked with someone on identifying what to change, or if you worked it out yourself. I personally am a big believer in the small custom shops and specialty repair experts as resources for players - people who can help a player find the mods that will transform a horn for them.

Regardless: congratulations on finding your perfect fit.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came across this thread and got interested for two reasons: first, my Bach 43 pipe is rotting out and will need a replacement sometimes in the future. There is time to go but I’m pondering options.

I do swab the pipe but this is pipe #2 that has rotted on me since I bought the horn new in 1992. So possibly, something a little more resistant than the Bach brass pipe will be in order for the new replacement and indeed the folks at M/K have suggested I try a #4 in any metal but brass (or that’s what I made the answer to be).

Now, the Bach is (and that is reason #2 I’m interested in that discussion) my horn of choice for commercial, funk, rock, … the loud stuff, you get the picture. So: would a nickel silver or sterling silver leadpipe also add projection and „clarity“ (focus and power, if you like) to the sound provided that the rest of the horn remains of course the same ML with a heavy goldbrass 43 bell?

I’d like that - steer the horn towards an even better commercial power horn while at the same time having a leadpipe that will stay alive for awhile.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry

Last edited by Brassnose on Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nickel pipe will reduce the absorption of highs by the initial expansion zone, so you might be brighter, easier. Silver is expensive, and for what you are looking for, nickel may actually work better.

If you are rapidly burning through leadpipes, you probably should talk to MK about a new tuning slide too - hard to imagine that it would have escaped similar, albeit lesser, damage. Their SR slides will loosen slotting a bit and reduce the energy you need to put into the horn overall - which if you are seeking ways to boost power generally, might be an advantage (if the looser slotting doesn't mess you up)

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also been considering bronze as well but with a heavy gold brass bell I’d expect the horn to be too much towards the warmer side. For that sound I have my perfectly suited and wonderful Martin Schmidt lightweight rotary. For the Bach I don’t necessarily think mega-bright but rather look for a strong presence.

The tuning slide currently looks good but indeed I did have to replace it the last time as well, same time I had the leadpipe changed.

I like horns with somewhat tight-ish slots but have been pondering the unbraced MK slides for the energy and power side of things. I’ll be seeing my tech in early December again and will also consult with him. Maybe a nickel leadpipe and a sterling slide may be interesting.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: